Premium,VIP
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:28

1 edit
reply to travisc

Re: Teksavvy Installation Nightmare - Letter to CEO

said by travisc:

So nice work Marc on clearing everything up as best you could. It still doesn't solve the overall problem that your business model is basically broken. Your relationship with Bell and Rogers needs to be better. I know that's easy for me to say as some guy on an Internet forum, but it's the truth.

Every time this happens, complain to the CRTC. Send 'em 10 complaints a day until they pay attention. Their new mandate lately seems to be to help the consumer, allegedly anyway, and what better way than to put some regulation with teeth into your relationship with the incumbents?

I've thought about this some more since yesterday and I want to expand a bit on this since it's at the root of all of this.

So, I think it's important to say that I think the incumbent is better today then they were a year ago. As are we for that matter.

I think it's an evolution, it's a process, where we're all learning and over time things change for all sorts of reasons. I'd say that one of the biggest areas of problems is when they actually make those changes to improve things, it creates problems at the beginning then it gets better. So when they're changing often over the course of a year, it ends up looking like it's always messed up but I think it is already improving.

These situations though are also helpful in the sense that they provide clear indications of where some of the problems remain and it helps to reference clear examples. It's painful this way but it does change over time.

So, I don't want to sound like I'm defending or whatever but I'm more trying to be fair to the situation. Additionally, it's the back to school rush and we've processed a ton of orders so they are more busy then normal right now. In the grand scheme of things, the large majority have not experienced this but that doesn't discount that we need to tackle these problems.

...those are my thoughts
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

AkFubar
Admittedly, A Teksavvy Fan

join:2005-02-28
Toronto CAN.
reply to Simpletwist

A thorough investigation (my congrats) and fair assessment of the way things are out there. Change is never easy and in most cases takes years to iron out. The best you can hope for is improvement over time and continuing to be professional, open and straightforward with your customers just as you have been doing.
--
If my online experience is enhanced, why are my speeds throttled?? BHell... A Public Futility.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2
reply to TSI Marc

"The Incumbent" you aren't allowed to say Rogers?

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13

I used "incumbent" to refer to any of the people that provide the customer connectivity ... Rogers, Bell, Videotron, Shaw, Cogeco, Telus

Marc referred to "the incumbent" in response to my reference.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

seems these days nobody is happy when we point too many fingers. seems best to leave it neutral. I can say their name all I want.. I think I probably did in a few posts earlier...

When you know how the new social medial tools work these days... looking for key words... you know it will for sure hit certain radars.

plus... I'm not trying to make enemies there either.. so I want to be respectful on all fronts so it's a bit of a tightrope balancing act.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

Due to explosive growth we are seeing some unforeseen provisioning issues. Rogers is working diligently with us to deliver the best possible customer experience. We're sorry for these problems and we will work to correct them as expediently as possible.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to sbrook

said by sbrook:

I used "incumbent" to refer to any of the people that provide the customer connectivity ... Rogers, Bell, Videotron, Shaw, Cogeco, Telus

Marc referred to "the incumbent" in response to my reference.

I did that too
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
Reviews:
·VMedia

1 edit
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

said by elwoodblues:

seems these days nobody is happy when we point too many fingers. seems best to leave it neutral. I can say their name all I want.. I think I probably did in a few posts earlier...

When you know how the new social medial tools work these days... looking for key words... you know it will for sure hit certain radars.

plus... I'm not trying to make enemies there either.. so I want to be respectful on all fronts so it's a bit of a tightrope balancing act.

While I realise you need to maintain a relationship with "The Incumbent" , finger pointing can only lead to additional evidence for the CRTC to finally wake up and realize treating TPIA customers like retail customers just doesn't work.
--
No, I didn't. Honest... I ran out of gas. I... I had a flat tire. I didn't have enough money for cab fare. My tux didn't come back from the cleaners. An old friend came in from out of town. Someone stole my car. There was an earthquake.......

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

Marc, thanks for really diving into this problem and explaining it all to the OP and everyone here...

I think that the incumbents will always try to slash your tires when they know they can get away with it, and let's face it, they can and there's nothing you can do about it...

These install issues have always been around, but since TSI has exponentially grown over the past few years, complaints like these are just seen more often.

Knock wood I've had positive install/upgrade experiences, but I cringe at the possibility of having some line or signal related issues at some point and having to deal with Bell or Rogers (I have both DSL & Cable) come in and yank my chain and charge some bogus fees...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to elwoodblues

True but is this really the best forum for that? If we're going to do something at the CRTC.. we should make our case there and do it respectfully also.

I think we'll always have our differences of opinion with them but we should be able to agree on some things some of the time...

At the end of the day though, someday I/we may need your support to send a really clear message and that's when we need a way to do that. There's no doubt in my mind that the UBB path was completely altered as a result of that petition.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to HiVolt

It was my pleasure.. I was as curious as you guys. it's like wth?!?

For these issues, I'm not convinced that it's that rampant. Last month we signed up multiple thousands of new cable subs. I dont want to talk percentages but I think by me doing a deep dive like this on a few of these we're going to find that not all problems are the same whereas I think there's a bit of a blanket feeling that for example tech support is a certain way.. and in this case there wasn't even one of our techs involved but it would likely have been labeled as that had I not.

I'll keep trying to do this and break things down and we'll see where we stand. Time permitting.. this stuff takes a huge amount of my time to manage. I like doing it and it needs to be done and few can cut throught it all like I can both from my role perspective but also just from my experience and knowing how all of the systems work since I built most of them back in the day... its nice to finally be freed up a bit to be able to get to this stuff now that some of the bigger pieces are in place.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

Due to explosive growth we are seeing some unforeseen provisioning issues. Rogers is working diligently with us to deliver the best possible customer experience. We're sorry for these problems and we will work to correct them as expediently as possible.

@Marc: Was this reply meant for another thread because it seems really out of context here...?

Kudos on the transparency, it's appreciated. We all learn from these threads how to better handle the screw-ups. Knowing how to deal with these better makes more confident in my own service and helping others that I refer. Thanks!

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to sbrook

Do you know how relatively simple it would be to have the incumbents let indies have restricted access into their provisioning systems to see what's there?

I can think of several ways - which would involve minimal effort on the part of both the incumbent and the indie - which don't compromise the integrity of the incumbent's system, while at the same time placing the onus on the indie for accurate information.

p.s I've done exactly this sort of thing between systems owned/run by different financial institutions, involving many billions of dollars of transactions per day - so I know it can be done. All it takes is the willingness to do so.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to zacron

said by zacron:

We need the R0CKY model back. Simple.

Rocky who?
Rocky isn't the face of TSI anymore (even if he's back in some official capacity.....is he?)

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by zacron:

We need the R0CKY model back. Simple.

Rocky who?
Rocky isn't the face of TSI anymore (even if he's back in some official capacity.....is he?)

in response to zacron - I was going to say, Rocky is no longer there. Marc is just as good as Rocky and Marc took care of massive growth the company went through. Rocky = great guy but Marc is the trooper who is the face of TSI.

ju1ce

join:2012-09-09
Richmond Hill, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to creed3020

For my first post:

Great job Marc/Teksavvy.

Keep up the good fight with UBB and the incumbents and know full well that regardless of some negative people most of us recognize what you're doing for us.

It's the sole reason I chose your ISP (only been with you for a month) over the incumbents.

RuralOtt

join:2004-12-07
K2G
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

They discover that we submitted it correctly to incumbent but that the response back confirming still had old address. i.e. we did it right but some how incumbent crossed the info,

Can something be done here, if I understand this correctly? Maybe Tek staff can check the Rogers confirmation to verify they have the right address? Or at least forward it to the customer?

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

True but is this really the best forum for that? If we're going to do something at the CRTC.. we should make our case there and do it respectfully also.

And this is why I (whether some of your more vocal customers appreciate it or not) support what you do. Would I use TSI services if they were available to me? Hell yes!

Customer or not, I see an honest company trying to reason with unreasonable suppliers (who just so happen to also be competitors) in a respectful manner. It's that honesty and respect that you just never see anymore.

Tx and zacron, go ahead and call me out if you feel the need. And elwoodblues, go ahead and call me a fanboy, but realize that I simply see a company doing their best to not screw their customers; it's not hard to be a fan of that. You can all do your damndest to make me feel unwelcome here and it's not going to make me leave; I'm here in support of TSI when they're doing the right thing (and pointing out their flaws when they're not -- how many fanboys do that?), I'm not on this forum for anything else. If R0CKY, Marc, or someone else in TSI's ranks wants to ask me to leave, I will be more than happy to oblige. But really, guys, I'm here posting facts and you're jumping on me for it; you should feel silly enough for that already, but you should even sillier for the fact that TSI once again, in this thread, upheld the opinion some of you say I was stating.

sbrook
Premium,Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa
kudos:13
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·WIND Mobile
reply to MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs ... I absolutely understand ... Bell have gone part way with access to Lantern, but Rogers are far more conservative. Getting 3rd parties into their various headend facilities even just for cable TV is a challenge.

Willingness as you say is 90% of the battle. It will improve no doubt when the incumbents realize that TPIA is here to stay and that it should be a part of their business, not a thorn in their side.

Also, incumbents need to return to the idea that they are providing near essential services ... like Bell used to ... Call in a fault and have a tech at your door in a few hours ... not a few days! They all need to recognize this. Even cable companies used to do better than they do now.

shrug

@videotron.ca
reply to elwoodblues

said by elwoodblues:

In other words, he has to be careful what he says about Rogers or Videotron.

Videotron already made Ebox remove blog posts from their site (or else). Rogers is the same, if not worse.

So take it the way you want. And your line of thinking isn't wrong.

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

nothing like that on my part. I haven't been asked to do anything.. I'm just aware that many people may be reading these threads and that I want to be seen to be reasonable and it to be known that I am reasonable. We're all here talking about how we might improve things... that includes these forums. We need these incumbents, they play a major role, we need to show them that respect regardless of if we agree with everything they do. We're not going to agree with them all the time but we should be able to agree on some things some of the time...
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

TSI Marc
Premium,VIP
Chatham, ON
reply to MaynardKrebs

Thanks guys I appreciate that. It's been a long road.
--
Marc - CEO/TekSavvy

Simpletwist

@ottawahospital.on.ca
reply to elwoodblues

Hello Marc

I got to say I wasn't expecting anything from this let alone a detailed explanation of my entire life history with Teksavvy, WOW.

I really appreciate the thoroughness of your response and you definitely hit it on the head, my original hook up was a disaster that truly left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure some of the bile spilled over into my attitude this time around, for that I am sorry.

It this disconnect between the incumbant and Teksavvy that drives me mad, it is my definition of absolute customer service hell, one side can't help the other won't help and in the middle you're left to the mercy of CSR's that may or may not show you any compassion. It's maddening, this in particular, was the perfect storm of bullshit, having that tech sit in front of my house for a half hour refusing to come in, the multiple long waiting times on hold, having my service cancelled without permission, the constant changing of installation dates.

In the end I just want my service back, and I am confident my install this Friday will happen without incident and I'll feel even more guilty for causing all this hoopla. As for compensation I just want to be treated fairly, this is one aspect that is under you purview and I'll leave it at that.

Thank you Marc for reaffirming my faith that Teksavvy IS different then other companies, this went a long way.

Signed

Your loyal yet slightly bruised Teksavvy fanboy

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON
kudos:12
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·FreePhoneLine
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to BronsCon

said by BronsCon:

said by TSI Marc:

And this is why I (whether some of your more vocal customers appreciate it or not) support what you do. Would I use TSI services if they were available to me? Hell yes!

Customer or not, I see an honest company trying to reason with unreasonable suppliers (who just so happen to also be competitors) in a respectful manner. It's that honesty and respect that you just never see anymore.

Tx and zacron, go ahead and call me out if you feel the need. And elwoodblues, go ahead and call me a fanboy, but realize that I simply see a company doing their best to not screw their customers; it's not hard to be a fan of that. You can all do your damndest to make me feel unwelcome here and it's not going to make me leave; I'm here in support of TSI when they're doing the right thing (and pointing out their flaws when they're not -- how many fanboys do that?), I'm not on this forum for anything else. If R0CKY, Marc, or someone else in TSI's ranks wants to ask me to leave, I will be more than happy to oblige. But really, guys, I'm here posting facts and you're jumping on me for it; you should feel silly enough for that already, but you should even sillier for the fact that TSI once again, in this thread, upheld the opinion some of you say I was stating.

Next time maybe try without a post that appears to instigate with asking us to call you out, but let's not try and attempt to create a flame war. Telling people they should feel silly and resurrecting a dropped conversation.

No one is asking you to leave, so please drop the dramatics, no one will ever ask.

said by TSI Marc:

Thanks guys I appreciate that. It's been a long road.

Still a very long road ahead

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Tx:

No one is asking you to leave, so please drop the dramatics, no one will ever ask.

Well, where did I say anyone was asking me to leave? You certainly seem to be trying to make me feel unwelcome, but I never claimed anything else. I also never said I thought anyone would ask me to leave; I merely stated that, should I be asked by the parties affected by my posts, I would do so. There is nothing dramatic in that.

Maybe it was not your intent to make me feel unwelcome on a board I've been posting to for the better part of a decade, but it sure feels to me that it was. Maybe you misinterpreted the meaning of my post and thought I was attacking TSI. It doesn't really matter; there was clearly a misunderstanding somewhere that either caused you to attack me, or cause me to feel attacked.

To be clear, I post on this forum in support of TSI, the same as you. Why that would be a problem for you, regardless of my relationship with the company, I don't know, but it seems very clear by your response to my first post in this thread that it is.

I just want to be sure the air between us, and between myself and anyone else on this board who may have taken issue with me posting here, is clear. I'm here to show my support in the only way I can, as I'm unable to subscribe to TSI services. It's nothing more or less than that. When I post positively about the company, it is because they are doing everything in their power to do the right thing; when I post negatively, it is always constructive and always includes suggestions for improvement. We're all fighting the same fight, even if for different reasons.

Simpletwist - It's great to see that TSI was able to sort this out for you. They always seem to manage to make things right when given the chance.

BrianV

join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON
kudos:1
reply to Simpletwist

Maybe consider pulling the 'slightly inflammatory' Reddit post you made? Or at least, put a copy of this post at the top?

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to TSI Marc

said by TSI Marc:

I'll keep trying to do this and break things down and we'll see where we stand. Time permitting.. this stuff takes a huge amount of my time to manage. I like doing it and it needs to be done and few can cut throught it all like I can both from my role perspective but also just from my experience and knowing how all of the systems work since I built most of them back in the day... its nice to finally be freed up a bit to be able to get to this stuff now that some of the bigger pieces are in place.

It's pretty cool that you do. I heard a story about the CEO's at ING (the bank) and they apparently man the phones a few hours a month or so to keep a pulse on things. If you ever have the time you should give it a try.... would be cool to think when we phone in there's a very very small chance we could be talking to you!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
Somewhere in
reply to Simpletwist

said by Simpletwist :

Oh no, they've gotten him too.

graniterock

join:2003-03-14
London, ON
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·TekSavvy Cable

said by elwoodblues:

said by Simpletwist :

Oh no, they've gotten him too.

I have to admit the cool-aid is pretty good.