TSI Marc to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt

Re: Teksavvy Installation Nightmare - Letter to CEO

TSI Marc

TSI Marc to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
It was my pleasure.. I was as curious as you guys. it's like wth?!?

For these issues, I'm not convinced that it's that rampant. Last month we signed up multiple thousands of new cable subs. I dont want to talk percentages but I think by me doing a deep dive like this on a few of these we're going to find that not all problems are the same whereas I think there's a bit of a blanket feeling that for example tech support is a certain way.. and in this case there wasn't even one of our techs involved but it would likely have been labeled as that had I not.

I'll keep trying to do this and break things down and we'll see where we stand. Time permitting.. this stuff takes a huge amount of my time to manage. I like doing it and it needs to be done and few can cut throught it all like I can both from my role perspective but also just from my experience and knowing how all of the systems work since I built most of them back in the day... its nice to finally be freed up a bit to be able to get to this stuff now that some of the bigger pieces are in place.

creed3020
Premium Member
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON

creed3020 to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

Due to explosive growth we are seeing some unforeseen provisioning issues. Rogers is working diligently with us to deliver the best possible customer experience. We're sorry for these problems and we will work to correct them as expediently as possible.

@Marc: Was this reply meant for another thread because it seems really out of context here...?

Kudos on the transparency, it's appreciated. We all learn from these threads how to better handle the screw-ups. Knowing how to deal with these better makes more confident in my own service and helping others that I refer. Thanks!
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
Do you know how relatively simple it would be to have the incumbents let indies have restricted access into their provisioning systems to see what's there?

I can think of several ways - which would involve minimal effort on the part of both the incumbent and the indie - which don't compromise the integrity of the incumbent's system, while at the same time placing the onus on the indie for accurate information.

p.s I've done exactly this sort of thing between systems owned/run by different financial institutions, involving many billions of dollars of transactions per day - so I know it can be done. All it takes is the willingness to do so.
MaynardKrebs

MaynardKrebs to zacron

Premium Member

to zacron
said by zacron:

We need the R0CKY model back. Simple.

Rocky who?
Rocky isn't the face of TSI anymore (even if he's back in some official capacity.....is he?)

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx

Premium Member

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by zacron:

We need the R0CKY model back. Simple.

Rocky who?
Rocky isn't the face of TSI anymore (even if he's back in some official capacity.....is he?)

in response to zacron - I was going to say, Rocky is no longer there. Marc is just as good as Rocky and Marc took care of massive growth the company went through. Rocky = great guy but Marc is the trooper who is the face of TSI.
ju1ce
join:2012-09-09
Richmond Hill, ON

ju1ce to creed3020

to creed3020
For my first post:

Great job Marc/Teksavvy.

Keep up the good fight with UBB and the incumbents and know full well that regardless of some negative people most of us recognize what you're doing for us.

It's the sole reason I chose your ISP (only been with you for a month) over the incumbents.
RuralOtt
join:2004-12-07
K2G

RuralOtt to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

They discover that we submitted it correctly to incumbent but that the response back confirming still had old address. i.e. we did it right but some how incumbent crossed the info,

Can something be done here, if I understand this correctly? Maybe Tek staff can check the Rogers confirmation to verify they have the right address? Or at least forward it to the customer?

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon to TSI Marc

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

True but is this really the best forum for that? If we're going to do something at the CRTC.. we should make our case there and do it respectfully also.

And this is why I (whether some of your more vocal customers appreciate it or not) support what you do. Would I use TSI services if they were available to me? Hell yes!

Customer or not, I see an honest company trying to reason with unreasonable suppliers (who just so happen to also be competitors) in a respectful manner. It's that honesty and respect that you just never see anymore.

Tx and zacron, go ahead and call me out if you feel the need. And elwoodblues, go ahead and call me a fanboy, but realize that I simply see a company doing their best to not screw their customers; it's not hard to be a fan of that. You can all do your damndest to make me feel unwelcome here and it's not going to make me leave; I'm here in support of TSI when they're doing the right thing (and pointing out their flaws when they're not -- how many fanboys do that?), I'm not on this forum for anything else. If R0CKY, Marc, or someone else in TSI's ranks wants to ask me to leave, I will be more than happy to oblige. But really, guys, I'm here posting facts and you're jumping on me for it; you should feel silly enough for that already, but you should even sillier for the fact that TSI once again, in this thread, upheld the opinion some of you say I was stating.

sbrook
Mod
join:2001-12-14
Ottawa

sbrook to MaynardKrebs

Mod

to MaynardKrebs
MaynardKrebs ... I absolutely understand ... Bell have gone part way with access to Lantern, but Rogers are far more conservative. Getting 3rd parties into their various headend facilities even just for cable TV is a challenge.

Willingness as you say is 90% of the battle. It will improve no doubt when the incumbents realize that TPIA is here to stay and that it should be a part of their business, not a thorn in their side.

Also, incumbents need to return to the idea that they are providing near essential services ... like Bell used to ... Call in a fault and have a tech at your door in a few hours ... not a few days! They all need to recognize this. Even cable companies used to do better than they do now.

shrug
@videotron.ca

shrug to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

"The Incumbent" you aren't allowed to say Rogers?

In other words, he has to be careful what he says about Rogers or Videotron.

Videotron already made Ebox remove blog posts from their site (or else). Rogers is the same, if not worse.

So take it the way you want. And your line of thinking isn't wrong.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

nothing like that on my part. I haven't been asked to do anything.. I'm just aware that many people may be reading these threads and that I want to be seen to be reasonable and it to be known that I am reasonable. We're all here talking about how we might improve things... that includes these forums. We need these incumbents, they play a major role, we need to show them that respect regardless of if we agree with everything they do. We're not going to agree with them all the time but we should be able to agree on some things some of the time...
TSI Marc

TSI Marc to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Thanks guys I appreciate that. It's been a long road.

Simpletwist
@ottawahospital.on.ca

Simpletwist to elwoodblues

Anon

to elwoodblues
Hello Marc

I got to say I wasn't expecting anything from this let alone a detailed explanation of my entire life history with Teksavvy, WOW.

I really appreciate the thoroughness of your response and you definitely hit it on the head, my original hook up was a disaster that truly left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure some of the bile spilled over into my attitude this time around, for that I am sorry.

It this disconnect between the incumbant and Teksavvy that drives me mad, it is my definition of absolute customer service hell, one side can't help the other won't help and in the middle you're left to the mercy of CSR's that may or may not show you any compassion. It's maddening, this in particular, was the perfect storm of bullshit, having that tech sit in front of my house for a half hour refusing to come in, the multiple long waiting times on hold, having my service cancelled without permission, the constant changing of installation dates.

In the end I just want my service back, and I am confident my install this Friday will happen without incident and I'll feel even more guilty for causing all this hoopla. As for compensation I just want to be treated fairly, this is one aspect that is under you purview and I'll leave it at that.

Thank you Marc for reaffirming my faith that Teksavvy IS different then other companies, this went a long way.

Signed

Your loyal yet slightly bruised Teksavvy fanboy

Tx
bronx cheers from cheap seats
Premium Member
join:2008-11-19
Mississauga, ON

Tx to BronsCon

Premium Member

to BronsCon
said by BronsCon:

said by TSI Marc:

True but is this really the best forum for that? If we're going to do something at the CRTC.. we should make our case there and do it respectfully also.

And this is why I (whether some of your more vocal customers appreciate it or not) support what you do. Would I use TSI services if they were available to me? Hell yes!

Customer or not, I see an honest company trying to reason with unreasonable suppliers (who just so happen to also be competitors) in a respectful manner. It's that honesty and respect that you just never see anymore.

Tx and zacron, go ahead and call me out if you feel the need. And elwoodblues, go ahead and call me a fanboy, but realize that I simply see a company doing their best to not screw their customers; it's not hard to be a fan of that. You can all do your damndest to make me feel unwelcome here and it's not going to make me leave; I'm here in support of TSI when they're doing the right thing (and pointing out their flaws when they're not -- how many fanboys do that?), I'm not on this forum for anything else. If R0CKY, Marc, or someone else in TSI's ranks wants to ask me to leave, I will be more than happy to oblige. But really, guys, I'm here posting facts and you're jumping on me for it; you should feel silly enough for that already, but you should even sillier for the fact that TSI once again, in this thread, upheld the opinion some of you say I was stating.

Next time maybe try without a post that appears to instigate with asking us to call you out, but let's not try and attempt to create a flame war. Telling people they should feel silly and resurrecting a dropped conversation.

No one is asking you to leave, so please drop the dramatics, no one will ever ask.
said by TSI Marc:

Thanks guys I appreciate that. It's been a long road.

Still a very long road ahead

BronsCon
join:2003-10-24
Fairfield, CA

BronsCon

said by Tx:

No one is asking you to leave, so please drop the dramatics, no one will ever ask.

Well, where did I say anyone was asking me to leave? You certainly seem to be trying to make me feel unwelcome, but I never claimed anything else. I also never said I thought anyone would ask me to leave; I merely stated that, should I be asked by the parties affected by my posts, I would do so. There is nothing dramatic in that.

Maybe it was not your intent to make me feel unwelcome on a board I've been posting to for the better part of a decade, but it sure feels to me that it was. Maybe you misinterpreted the meaning of my post and thought I was attacking TSI. It doesn't really matter; there was clearly a misunderstanding somewhere that either caused you to attack me, or cause me to feel attacked.

To be clear, I post on this forum in support of TSI, the same as you. Why that would be a problem for you, regardless of my relationship with the company, I don't know, but it seems very clear by your response to my first post in this thread that it is.

I just want to be sure the air between us, and between myself and anyone else on this board who may have taken issue with me posting here, is clear. I'm here to show my support in the only way I can, as I'm unable to subscribe to TSI services. It's nothing more or less than that. When I post positively about the company, it is because they are doing everything in their power to do the right thing; when I post negatively, it is always constructive and always includes suggestions for improvement. We're all fighting the same fight, even if for different reasons.

Simpletwist - It's great to see that TSI was able to sort this out for you. They always seem to manage to make things right when given the chance.
BrianV
join:2008-11-17
Long Sault, ON

BrianV to Simpletwist

to Simpletwist
Maybe consider pulling the 'slightly inflammatory' Reddit post you made? Or at least, put a copy of this post at the top?
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc
said by TSI Marc:

I'll keep trying to do this and break things down and we'll see where we stand. Time permitting.. this stuff takes a huge amount of my time to manage. I like doing it and it needs to be done and few can cut throught it all like I can both from my role perspective but also just from my experience and knowing how all of the systems work since I built most of them back in the day... its nice to finally be freed up a bit to be able to get to this stuff now that some of the bigger pieces are in place.

It's pretty cool that you do. I heard a story about the CEO's at ING (the bank) and they apparently man the phones a few hours a month or so to keep a pulse on things. If you ever have the time you should give it a try.... would be cool to think when we phone in there's a very very small chance we could be talking to you!

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Simpletwist

Premium Member

to Simpletwist
said by Simpletwist :

Oh no, they've gotten him too.
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

graniterock

Premium Member

said by elwoodblues:

said by Simpletwist :

Oh no, they've gotten him too.

I have to admit the cool-aid is pretty good.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

1 recommendation

MaynardKrebs to sbrook

Premium Member

to sbrook
said by sbrook:

Also, incumbents need to return to the idea that they are providing near essential services ... like Bell used to ... Call in a fault and have a tech at your door in a few hours ... not a few days! They all need to recognize this. Even cable companies used to do better than they do now.

My gardener accidentally cut my Rogers cable on the weekend. I had asked him to remove some vines which had crawled up the Rogers cable from the ONT, over a bay window, and onto the drop.

So he takes a ladder, does up on the roof of the bay window and grabs the vines and starts merrily snipping away. Turns out that the Rogers cable was not fastened to the wall but was laying on the roof there. The vines twisted around the cable as they grew, et voila - the tv cable is cut.

I called Rogers and they came yesterday. The tech spliced the cable and was ready to walk away when I told him NO. I wanted to test that the tv's were working correctly. They weren't. So I come back outside look at the ONT and see an extra cable heading off in the same direction as the cut cable. I had to push the tech to look more closely to see if there was another cut. Turns out that the drop was cut in 2 places about 10' apart, and that the extra cable was left on the side of the house when they replaced the drop a couple years ago due to tree limbs taking the cable out. The tech had spliced to the dead cable rather than the live one.

If I hadn't been there and insisted on testing, and then prodding to look for other problems, I'd still be without tv for another 3 days.

Can't hire good help anymore.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to Simpletwist

to Simpletwist
Most of my installs with TSI (DSL and cable) have been effed up in some fashion. This is the landscape of broadband in Canada, you have to be tied to the incumbents in one fashion or another. Nothing will happen lickity split because of the duopolies. It is what it is. I freaked out earlier this year, when I wasn't feeling up to par, and all the top dogs eventually ironed things out. They (TekSavvy) let us whine and they eventually work things through. In saying all of this, I still want to be one of their customers.

I have to say the apple didn't fall far from the tree. Marc has been pretty good keeping us informed on what is going on, much like his bro, R0CKY, did. By the way, where the hell is that young man (R0CKster) lately?
Expand your moderator at work

GreenEnvy22
join:2011-08-04
St Catharines, ON

GreenEnvy22 to MaynardKrebs

to MaynardKrebs

Re: Teksavvy Installation Nightmare - Letter to CEO

Man that reminds me of a call I took a decade ago while doing tech support for Comcast cable in the US.
A guy calls in, screaming at me because his cable is out again for like the 4th time in a month.
He goes on to explain that his townhouses "stupid mexican gardeners" (his words) keep cutting the damn cable line and cutting off his tv/internet.
He says he keeps calling and demanding we bury the cable deeper in the ground.
I explain I can get a tech back out there that day to fix it (some Comcast markets did same day truck rolls), but I don't know if they can bury it deeper or not. There are rules about that sort of thing.
He then says I am racist and prejudiced because because he is black and in a wheelchair. I explain I had no idea what colour his skin was or that he was in a wheelchair. He replies that we "have that noted in the system". LOL.
So the guy is paranoid we're racist (over the phone!), but he's talking about his "stupid mexican gardeners".

I do miss doing tech support sometimes, it was entertaining.

WiFi
It's In The Air
join:2002-06-06
NiagaraFalls

WiFi to tonytoronto

to tonytoronto
said by tonytoronto:

Wow, Its unfortunate posts like this are becoming so frequent. Its sad to see a great company go down like this.

Wouldn't be the first company nor will it be the last for this to happen. This is a common occurrence when a company grows too big and too fast! In the early 80's, I worked for Canada's largest publicly traded company at the time - Dome Petroleum from Calgary. I was there when the company went through hyper growth. (ie August 1980, 3300 employees - January 1981 4800 employees) During that time frame, the new office tower I worked in had an employee increase from 400 to 1200! Two years later, the company was history. It had been bought out by one of its smaller competitors. The company could not handle the hyper growth and effectively imploded.

Too bad, it was a great company. I was making great money, tons of benefits, great working conditions, good bosses, wonderful city to live in!

I hope Teksavvy is not on the same highway to destruction. It does not hurt to limit growth to guarantee survival.

bounker
@teksavvy.com

bounker to Simpletwist

Anon

to Simpletwist
could you please give us some update.I would like to know the end of your story

Llort
@rogers.com

Llort to Simpletwist

Anon

to Simpletwist
One way to reduce installation problems like this would be to have both the incumbent and 3rd party work directly together in real time. I know of a case where it took a bell field tech 2 hours on the phone with their assigners to build a customer into the system. There was no assignment for this sub and the tech was repeatedly given the wrong installation info due an error in the system. They finally got it resolved but it took 3 different departments working together to get the sub in service. I can't imagine what would have happened if it were between an incumbent and a 3rd party.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

TSI Marc to Simpletwist

Premium Member

to Simpletwist
said by Simpletwist :

Hello Marc

I got to say I wasn't expecting anything from this let alone a detailed explanation of my entire life history with Teksavvy, WOW.

I really appreciate the thoroughness of your response and you definitely hit it on the head, my original hook up was a disaster that truly left a bad taste in my mouth and I'm sure some of the bile spilled over into my attitude this time around, for that I am sorry.

It this disconnect between the incumbant and Teksavvy that drives me mad, it is my definition of absolute customer service hell, one side can't help the other won't help and in the middle you're left to the mercy of CSR's that may or may not show you any compassion. It's maddening, this in particular, was the perfect storm of bullshit, having that tech sit in front of my house for a half hour refusing to come in, the multiple long waiting times on hold, having my service cancelled without permission, the constant changing of installation dates.

In the end I just want my service back, and I am confident my install this Friday will happen without incident and I'll feel even more guilty for causing all this hoopla. As for compensation I just want to be treated fairly, this is one aspect that is under you purview and I'll leave it at that.

Thank you Marc for reaffirming my faith that Teksavvy IS different then other companies, this went a long way.

Signed

Simpletwist, thanks for this response. I appreciate it.

I'm really sorry for all the troubles and I really hope you're up and running soon. I was tied up these last couple days and wasn't able to follow but I know the crew is on top of it. Let us know how it turns out once you're finally online.

Regards,
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru to bbbc

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Marc has been pretty good keeping us informed on what is going on, much like his bro, R0CKY, did. By the way, where the hell is that young man (R0CKster) lately?

Looks like he parted ways from TSI. He seems to be the Familylending.ca, JMHI, Hockey Station & Junctura Co-Owner...
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Marc has been pretty good keeping us informed on what is going on, much like his bro, R0CKY, did. By the way, where the hell is that young man (R0CKster) lately?

If you were told what Rocky is up to these days, TSI would have to kill you.
Think Jerry Springer or this »www.youtube.com/user/fam ··· lts_main