Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to Name Game

MVM

to Name Game

Re: GoDaddy DNS Outage takes out 1000s of sites+email

said by Name Game:

Since GoDaddy is the authority record for all the domains in their DNS zone that is a big hit..53 million ?

I have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

With "authority record" are you referring to the SOA (start of authority) record in each DNS zone file or do you mean something else (perhaps DNSSEC related which also has the concept of authorities) ?

I have similar difficulty with "all the domains in their DNS zone".

If you what you trying to say is that all of GoDaddy's customers lost their DNS service then that is clearly not the case. Anybody that is only using GoDaddy as a domain registry and uses his/her own servers for web, email and dns will not be effected by this (other then the inability to make any changes to their accounts).

Nevertheless this is a big deal and a lot of GoDaddy's clients are likely using them not just as domain registry but also as DNS provider.

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game

Premium Member

»support.godaddy.com/help ··· -records

»www.ntchosting.com/dns/zone.html
Name Game

1 recommendation

Name Game to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
Thanks for the explanation Thomas..I am no expert on that subject.

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

said by Name Game:

Since GoDaddy is the authority record for all the domains in their DNS zone that is a big hit..53 million ?

Anybody that is only using GoDaddy as a domain registry and uses his/her own servers for web, email and dns will not be effected by this (other then the inability to make any changes to their accounts).

Nevertheless this is a big deal and a lot of GoDaddy's clients are likely using them not just as domain registry but also as DNS provider.

I have no problems with my own servers registered at godaddy. Like you said it will only effect my ability to change things like pointing a web address to its IP address... I hope no one uses godaddy as their DNS provider .

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to leibold

Premium Member

to leibold
said by leibold:

said by Name Game:

I have trouble understanding what you are trying to say.

With "authority record" are you referring to the SOA (start of authority) record in each DNS zone file or do you mean something else (perhaps DNSSEC related which also has the concept of authorities) ?

I have similar difficulty with "all the domains in their DNS zone".

If you what you trying to say is that all of GoDaddy's customers lost their DNS service then that is clearly not the case. Anybody that is only using GoDaddy as a domain registry and uses his/her own servers for web, email and dns will not be effected by this (other then the inability to make any changes to their accounts).

GoDaddy goes down, Anonymous member takes credit

Popular domain name registrar and Web and email hosting provider GoDaddy is experiencing a severe outage, one that appears to have taken out not only its hosted services, but even those websites that have registered their domain names through GoDaddy.
Background

Users started noticing the troubles in the late morning Eastern Time. Customers with GoDaddy-hosted email accounts and websites noticed the outage, as did at least some users who had registered their domain names with GoDaddy, even though their sites are actually hosted elsewhere. When pinged, websites registered with GoDaddy receive only a "ping request could not find host," message. The GoDaddy.com site itself went offline.

GoDaddy claims to be the world's largest domain name registrar. The company reportedly manages more than 48 million domain names and serves more than 9.3 million customers.

»www.pcworld.com/business ··· dit.html