Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Gemstone
Premium
join:2000-12-20
Long Island

How to get Netflix

Looking for the best way to get Netflix onto one of our HDTV's... This LG HDTV only has 2 HDMI inputs... Currently one of the inputs is the cablebox and the other is the BluRay player... The cablebox on this HDTV is the Samsung C5320... It has an LAN port on the back... What is this port for?
--
Go Mark Martin!

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

Your best bet is to just replace BluRay player with one that supports Netflix. Latest Sony BR players support Netflix, Amazon and Vudu (and a bunch of other less known services)

Another option is to buy Roku (»www.roku.com/) and either use HDMI switch (PIA and often incompatible with some devices resulting in no picture) or connect it directly to TV when you want to watch NF (bad idea because it will wear out HDMI ports).

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island

said by JoeSchmoe007:

Your best bet is to just replace BluRay player with one that supports Netflix. Latest Sony BR players support Netflix, Amazon and Vudu (and a bunch of other less known services)

Another option is to buy Roku (»www.roku.com/) and either use HDMI switch (PIA and often incompatible with some devices resulting in no picture) or connect it directly to TV when you want to watch NF (bad idea because it will wear out HDMI ports).

The BluRay player on this HDTV is an older Panasonic and has something called Veracast... I never even checked it out...

I have a Roku on the bedroom HDTV and it's great... But I have not subscribed to Netflix yet...
--
Go Mark Martin!

JoeSchmoe007
Premium
join:2003-01-19
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Callcentric
·Verizon FiOS

said by Gemstone:

said by JoeSchmoe007:

The BluRay player on this HDTV is an older Panasonic and has something called Veracast... I never even checked it out...

I have a Roku on the bedroom HDTV and it's great... But I have not subscribed to Netflix yet...

Then check if your BR player supports Netflix already - I sort of assumed that it doesn't

SHoTTa35

@optonline.net
reply to JoeSchmoe007

I say upgrading BluRay player is the best idea since even cheaper ones (cheap being like $99) have Netflix built in these days. That would solve all that.

I don't have a bluray player and have a WDTV Live but that has Netflix and all these other video options if needed.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
reply to Gemstone

That is likely Viera Cast, not Veracast. Check it out because you might have the capability of viewing Netflix already with it. You need a network connection to the bluray player if you don't have it already.

BoulderHill1

join:2004-07-15
Montgomery, IL
reply to Gemstone

Does this TV have component inputs?

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
reply to printscreen

said by printscreen:

That is likely Viera Cast, not Veracast. Check it out because you might have the capability of viewing Netflix already with it. You need a network connection to the bluray player if you don't have it already.

You are correct... It's Viera Cast... I never checked it out... I do have the network connection available to the Bluray player, just never plugged it in...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Gemstone
Premium
Long Island
reply to BoulderHill1

said by BoulderHill1:

Yes it does. But I prefer HDMI hookup and I prefer to minimize the number of cables running behind the HDTV...
--
Go Mark Martin!

Dogg
Premium
join:2003-06-11
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Gemstone:

said by BoulderHill1:

Yes it does. But I prefer HDMI hookup and I prefer to minimize the number of cables running behind the HDTV...

He was likely asking as you could use those inputs to connect a 3rd device (such as another Roku). But I agree, a new BR player would be the best bet.
--
Google is your Friend

krazyboi
Premium
join:2008-06-27
Mckinney, TX
kudos:1
reply to Gemstone

I have Netflix connected to my TV via a Playstation3 using HDMI on my wireless and it works perfect. No issues with streaming the HD Netflix movies. You can use that HDMI port for your Netflix and blu ray player.

I know this isn't as cheap as the other options but there are bound to be used PS3's out there. I have the 2gen PS3 (not the big one).

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by krazyboi:

I have Netflix connected to my TV via a Playstation3 using HDMI on my wireless and it works perfect. No issues with streaming the HD Netflix movies. You can use that HDMI port for your Netflix and blu ray player.

I know this isn't as cheap as the other options but there are bound to be used PS3's out there. I have the 2gen PS3 (not the big one).

You could also use an xBox. But kinda pointless to spend money on a game system with no intention of gaming. A standalone Roku or replacement Blu-ray player would be cheaper.
--
Google is your Friend

IanR

join:2001-03-22
Fort Mill, SC
reply to Gemstone

Just to check. You are using BR player etc connected directly to you HD TV and you are using the TV speakers? i.e.e you are not using any receiver which might have extra inputs?

Also I don't know which LG TV you have, but is it able to connect directly to the internet? Some HD TVs are smart and might play Netflix directly.

Netfix thru a Roku works very well and is well priced. Another Roku would bring a nice range of programs to the LG HD TV and a simple extra hook up with a component cable set is quite neat. Works well for me. I also subscribe to AcornTV via my Roku (approx $2.00 pm) and get a range of Brit programs that way.

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to Gemstone

To the OP, you have not clarified yet if you checked to see if your existing Bluray player has Netflix already. You did say it has Viera Cast and after a little research I found that some devices have Netflix and others don't depending on age. Did you check yours?

It would help if you tell us the model number.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Gemstone

My favorite Netflix clients are the Apple TV and Roku. Most Bluray players and game consoles just seem slow, clunky or poorly designed in comparison.

Dogg
Premium
Belleville, IL
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Michail:

My favorite Netflix clients are the Apple TV and Roku. Most Bluray players and game consoles just seem slow, clunky or poorly designed in comparison.

My wife uses the Roku nightly, but she prefers the xBox interface to the Roku. They all seem to be a bit different. Just another item that boils down to personal preference.
--
Google is your Friend

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL

said by Dogg:

said by Michail:

My wife uses the Roku nightly, but she prefers the xBox interface to the Roku. They all seem to be a bit different. Just another item that boils down to personal preference.

I think I've become spoiled by the Apple TV version. That is magnitudes by far my favorite Netflix implementation. I also love Vimeo on the ATV.

Sadly, I don't use it on the xbox much since I have a first gen xbox 360. It sounds like a running vacuum cleaner.