Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail

Premium Member

That's what you spent your 11000'th post on?

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to b80211

Premium Member

to b80211
GoDaddy Cares

»www.godaddycares.com/cat ··· ry/news/

Noah Vail
Oh God please no.
Premium Member
join:2004-12-10
SouthAmerica

1 recommendation

Noah Vail

Premium Member

said by Name Game:

GoDaddy Cares

I wish they'd care about shutting down spammers they hosts.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

antdude to Noah Vail

Premium Member

to Noah Vail
said by Noah Vail:

That's what you spent your 11000'th post on?

[att=1]

Awesome! Wait, I am only level 31? Sheesh, this like WoW. Grind, grind, grind! :P

b80211
Premium Member
join:2003-09-13
Cedarhurst, NY

b80211

Premium Member

Well since nobody in hosting is answering I might as well ask in here?

How can I go about getting backup services so that my website will not face down time like this again?

Thanks!

Lagz
Premium Member
join:2000-09-03
The Rock

Lagz

Premium Member

Host you own servers.

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

leibold to b80211

MVM

to b80211
There are several elements required in order for your website to be accessible:

1.) your webserver must be up and running.

2.) there must be a working network route providing connectivity to and from your website.

3.) your website's name (fully qualified domain name) must resolve to the correct IP address.

Backup solutions for each of those differ:

1.) You can harden your webserver (mirrored disks, redundant power supplies on separate power feeds) but as long as it is a single server there is always going to be some single point of failure. Getting a second server to publish the same content seems like the obvious solution but is really only simple if all website content is static. When working with a hosting company instead of running your own server consider choosing one that is able to replicate your server (ideally in two different locations, see #2).

2.) Multi-homing your webserver with Internet connectivity from two providers significantly reduces the probability of loosing network connectivity. However if both providers use fibers or copper pairs in the same cable bundle a single bad dig will still cut you off. Your odds are better if you go for multiple webservers (see #1) and further place them at different locations (still go with different Internet service providers). If you are using a hosting provider (instead of running your own servers) you can ask them for redundant network feeds (some have this option and even give you a choice of providers) or better yet setup a redundant webserver with a different hosting provider (this is the most complex option since it leaves it your own responsibility to synchronize content between the two servers).

3.) Name resolution is done with DNS. There is nothing wrong with using the DNS servers from the domain name registry you used to register your domain name. If they are following Internet Standards and BCPs they will have multiple servers in geographically separate locations. However it would still be a good idea to have another DNS server for your domain (either one you are running yourself or a 3rd party providing secondary DNS) just in case your registry does something like GoDaddy did (preventing access to all their DNS servers at once).

Name Game
Premium Member
join:2002-07-07
Grand Rapids, MI

Name Game to b80211

Premium Member

to b80211
ALL GoDaddy DNS monitor site

the first column "Last 5 Minutes", the second is "Last 10 minutes", the third is "Last 15 Minutes" and the fourth is "Today,the failure rate".
»www.dnsgua.com/

I think the monitor is in China. As I post this it is 7:34am Wednesday (CST) - Time in China

Triple Helix
DNA
Premium Member
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON

1 recommendation

Triple Helix to b80211

Premium Member

to b80211
Who's lying about the GoDaddy outage?

»betanews.com/2012/09/11/ ··· eed+-+BN

TH