uniqs

b80211
Premium Member
join:2003-09-13
Cedarhurst, NY

b80211

Premium Member

Hosting Backup

I am sure most of you are aware godaddy was down today...

I am a startup company and any down time looks very bad! How can I go about getting backup services so that my website will not face down time like this again?

Thanks!
29393955 (banned)
Always the green wire
join:2011-09-11
Mount Juliet, TN

29393955 (banned)

A. Host your site at separate locations (could be the same host with multiple locations or different hosts) and use multiple DNS servers (at separate locations as well) to point to the different IP address's. (This is also known as 'mirrored hosting') Fair warning - this kind of redundant hosting is far more expensive than any GoDaddy offering.

B. Perhaps just hosting your site at a better provider would be sufficient? Most reputable hosts (and I'm talking the ones that charge more than $10/month) are in the 99% or better uptime range. Keep in mind, any single-server solution will have some failures / downtime.

If you want absolutely NO downtime, go back to (A.) and get out the checkbook...

removed
Premium Member
join:2002-02-08
Houston, TX

removed to b80211

Premium Member

to b80211
said by b80211:

I am a startup company and any down time looks very bad!

How much traffic does your "startup company" site get? How many requests per day/hour on average?

ViviTheMage
vivi
Premium Member
join:2002-10-28
Minneapolis, MN

ViviTheMage to b80211

Premium Member

to b80211
What's your budget, there are a lot of options to backup/redundant hosting, it really depends on how much you can spend and how far you want to go.
lythuht
join:2012-11-27

lythuht to b80211

to b80211
it really depends on how much you can spend and how far you want to go.
--
Jello0
join:2013-01-08

Jello0 to b80211

to b80211
You might want to enable cloudflare on your websites, my current web host offer it with their web hosting service. Cloudflare help cache content on your website, so if your website should go down on the web host end, cloudflare will still show the cached website.
brawney
Premium Member
join:2002-03-02
Frederick, MD

brawney to b80211

Premium Member

to b80211
Others here have great suggestions.

My #1 rule is do not buy the domain from the hosting company. All my domains are with ENOM (a reseller under enom actually).

Backups come in all different levels and it would really depend on what hosting you have with GoDaddy now and what level of "backup" support you would like to have.

You may also want to consider hosting your email somewhere else; not with your inexpensive web host.

If you're needs are minimal (you just need a decent inexpensive host) then find another provider. A smaller one that comes with someone's recommendation. You can't hardly trust any of these hosting review sites. I saw one such review site that was actually owned by a host, and of course they ranked themselves #1 all the time.