iansltx

join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL

LTE Speed Tests

Since there are a number of markets that have LTE sites live now, might as well start this...

Taken just now, 2 mi west of Fredericksburg, TX. Phone is outside in order to get a 4G signal. I'm inside, tethered via WiFi. I saw speeds of 18-19 Mbps down, 7 Mbps up from this location earlier today. I'm just lucky 4G works here, since there's only one site online.

What's funny is that, once I head back to Austin, I'll lose 4G, even though the town is 100x larger than where I am now. Then again, Austin has WiMAX.

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
Galaxy S3?

iansltx

Austin, TX
Yep. Blue, 32GB. Apparently the Photon does a better job of pulling/keeping a 4G signal, but once the S3 locks on things are pretty great.

decifal

join:2007-03-10
Bon Aqua, TN
kudos:1
reply to iansltx
I'm keeping an eye on sprint.. They have basically just listed 100 markets that is rolling out LTE and while non was specific to my area, its coming to counties all around me. I'm hoping that maybe they didn't list my county directly as its not a major area by normal standards... Either way, the closer it gets the bigger my smile.. I want options for carriers as its the only way to find a better deal...

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4
reply to iansltx
I was playing around with my step son's S3, That's a damn nice phone.
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

Noelle704

join:2010-12-12

1 recommendation

reply to iansltx

Although the Charlotte market hasn't officially launched, 4G LTE is up in a few areas.

bigred1324

join:2009-07-27
Fort Wayne, IN
reply to iansltx

The Fort Wayne Market hasn't been officially launched either. But here is a speedtest I took.

nfixit2004
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Brooklyn, NY
reply to iansltx
How do you find out what cities have LTE?

iansltx

Austin, TX
Sensorly is a good place to check. Or s4gru.com.

nfixit2004
Premium
join:2004-01-06
Brooklyn, NY
thanks

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
reply to iansltx
I had a chance to try Sprint LTE while I was in Kansas. I was averaging 4 Mbps down and less than 1 Mbps up. I was not impressed.

iansltx

Austin, TX
Must have had poor signal then...and you can't trust bars because they measure 1x voice signal rather than LTE. Unless you have an iPhone anyway.

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
I was using an iPhone 5. Why does that matter?

iansltx

Austin, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·Verizon Online DSL
The iPhone 5 displays the signal strength of the data network that it is connected to. So it would be displaying the signal strength of the LTE connection when you did that speed test.

Which brings me to another point: LTE requires a decent signal for good data rates. Poor signal? Don't expect good data rates. Just like LTE on anyone else's network.