how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

WalterH

join:2012-09-08
College Station, TX

[modem/router] Connecting Linksys WRT610N router to Westell 6100

I have a problem that has been driving me nuts for the past three days tyring different modem/router configurations.

I previously had a Westell B90-2100 DSL modem (must be 10 years old) along with a Linksys WRT610N wireless router which worked great. The old modem died and Verizon sent me a Westell 6100G modem/router. I put the 6100 into bridge mode following: »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? and then connected the Linksys WRT610N router into the modem hoping everying would be fine. Tho router did not work since it was set to 192.168.1.1 with DHCP in the 192.168.1.100 to 150 range. So, I followed this link »Setting up Westell 6100G to ANY router + NAT! (no bridge mod, and got the router working. However, this latter solution requires that the router be set for DHCP at 192.168.2.xxx and with a gateway of 192.168.1.1 (the ip of the modem), and that the modem's Static NAT be enabled. A quirky approach but it works.

My problem is this. My previous setup had a large number of devices that were set to connect to the 192.168.1.xxx wireless LAN network (many with with static ip's). Now, using the last approach noted above, with the router DHCP set to 192. 168.2.xxx, none of these devices will connect. Also, when I try to reset the static ip address of my printer (which was 192.168.1.125) to something like 192.168.2.125 it won't let me do that because the gateway is at 192.168.1.1 (apparently it wants a gateway at 192.168.2.x); and the same problem occurs with my WD TV Live Hub which currently has an static ip of 192.168.1.133.

My question is this. How do I configure the Westell 6100 modem and the Linksys WRT610N router so that the router is providing DHCP LAN in the 192.168.1.xxx range? By the way, I am in TX so Verizon uses a DHCP (not PPPoE) network.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Walt

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL

Re: [modem/router] Connecting Linksys WRT610N router to Westell

said by WalterH:

My question is this. How do I configure the Westell 6100 modem and the Linksys WRT610N router so that the router is providing DHCP LAN in the 192.168.1.xxx range? By the way, I am in TX so Verizon uses a DHCP (not PPPoE) network.

Option number one

#1 Have the modem combo handle the public IP.

#2 Have the DHCP Server Enabled in the modem combo enabled if this is desired.

#3 While the Linksys is not connected to the modem combo:

a) In the Linksys go to Setup -> Basic Setup

b) Where it says DHCP Server, select Disabled.

c) Press Save Settings

#4 Connect one of the free/available/unoccupied LAN Port(s) of the Linksys to the Westell's LAN port.

* Not Double NATTED and the modem combo is handling the public IP.

OR Option number two

#1 In the Westell go to System Monitoring -> Gateway Status

#2 Record down the WAN MAC Address (might be called the Broadband MAC Address), there as you will need it.

#3 Put the modem combo into bridge mode as directed in the FAQ, including disabling the DHCP Server in the modem combo.

#4 Connect the Linksys's WAN/Internet OR To Modem port to the Westell's LAN port.

#5 In the Linksys go to Setup Basic -> Setup.

#6 Make sure it is setup to use DHCP.

#7 In the Linksys go to Setup -> MAC Address Clone.

#8 Select Enabled

#9 Now type in that WAN (or Broadband) MAC Address that you recorded earlier at step 2 of option 2.

#10 Press Save Settings

* Not Double NATTED and the modem combo is not setup to handle the public IP.
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
I got your private message and I think I know why you are getting that message.

Maybe you did not turn off the Walled Garden?

I point to »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How to Turn off the Walled Garden
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.