C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

[CDV] Normal for Arris EMTA to Reboot Every 7-10 Days?

Is it normal (or expected) to have your Arris EMTA/Modem reboot every 7-10 days?

Ever since I was hooked up back in early July, like clockwork, I can log into my Arris and see, every week or so, that's it has reset and is on a different series of 4 downstream channels. But it's never had more than 10 days of uptime.

And this is all that shows in the logs:

9/11/2012 1:55 16 MTA TFTP: Successful
9/11/2012 1:55 26 MTA PROV: Successful!
9/11/2012 1:55 3 Voice Line State Change, Line Number = 1, Prev State = OOS, New State = IS
9/11/2012 1:55 3 Voice Line State Change, Line Number = 2, Prev State = OOS, New State = IS
9/11/2012 1:55 14 Power Supply Telemetry Log - TELEMETRY NORMAL
9/11/2012 1:55 14 Power Supply Telemetry Log - Temperature Alarm Set to 50 C

It usually happens in the middle of the night - but part of me is thinking this is not normal. Thoughts? It's the 722G.

Since this is also powering our Xfinity Home (system) router, this isn't given me warm and fuzzies.

gar187er
I do this for a living

join:2006-06-24
Dover, DE
kudos:4

no.

JeepMatt
C'mon the U
Premium
join:2001-12-28
Wilmington, DE
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
·Comcast

Total Cluster-F

Well,
Had a tech out yesterday to swap out the 722 that keeps rebooting.

First tech shows up at 9:15, leaves after he tells me he only has either an old D2 622 modem, or the new 862 Gateway - which he isn't comfortable installing since we have the Home Security product - and the preferred method is to not have another router in front of it. So he asks if it's okay to have another guy come out in the afternoon that's actually handled the Security set up before.

I was like, uhhhh, sure.

So, watching the Union match, other guy shows up at 2:15, explain what I need done, he's like ok - cool.

I see him walk in with what looks like a MUCH older Arris - knowing in my head it is - I ask him, are you sure that's a D3? He goes "absolutely". So as to not be a dick and call him out at his own job, he hooks it up, and takes off (and doesn't even take the 722 with him).

So after he leaves, I look - he f'ing installed a 502 - an EMTA that my mother in law got like 5 years ago. Speeds wouldn't even reach the 50/10 I was seeing. I was beyond pissed off after being lied to my face.

So, hooked up the 722 I had been renting (yeah, I'll have to deal with getting the other modem back to comcast) - and it sync'd back up with the internet portion back online, but we've now been without home phone service for almost 3/4 a day. Finally got through to an American at 9pm last night (seriously, the amount of offshore support w/ Comcast must be 1000% higher than when I was previously a customer and is frustrating beyond belief).

The last guy last night was awesome - but nothing he could do would get the phone line back up. So, I have a CR ticket opened and am waiting almost 12 hours later with still no home phone.

Thank God i've been happy with the actual products, b/c everything from my initial install to billing issues since we've got hooked up, to this yesterday has been unacceptable.

Have a long Sunday ahead of me - needed to get that off my chest. LOL. And the funny thing is that the Executive Center set up this entire swap out for me - it was like nothing makes it from Point A to Point B anymore.
--
"ONE team - ONE city - ONE dream!!"

owlyn
Premium,MVM
join:2004-06-05
Newtown, PA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to JeepMatt

Re: [CDV] Normal for Arris EMTA to Reboot Every 7-10 Days?

Mine reboots almost every day between 11 am and 2 pm. I'm not usually in need of phone or internet at that time, and it only takes a minute, so I'm taking the not broke enough-don't fix it approach. I also have an odd situation because I have to use a bi-directional amp to get consistently decent signal levels. If I have them send someone out, and it's not one of their best techs, I could be worse off. The levels coming into the house keep moving around, the four bonded channels have up to an 8db signal level difference among them (Example: ch may be +4 and ch 2 may be -4, etc. but it keeps changing- has been as low as 3 db difference), but everything works well enough, so I'm not going to worry about it for now. If something else breaks, I'll deal with it then.