uniqs
share rss forum feed

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

join:2010-05-06
Kalimdor
kudos:2

[Race to 90] A little bored...not sure what alt to level

Which should I level, since I'm a little bored; Pally or DK.

Pally is 54, DK is 59. I have full plate DPS BOAs. And plan on only playing a DPS spec...I've played neither of the classes at a high level, and would like to familiarize myself with whichever one will have the most potential at 90.

Any opinions?
--
McBrain#1558 - DSLR resident face melter.

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
Pally, it has the "potential" to tank/dps/heal

you could use the dps boa to get it to 85 then outfit it with whatever gear you want to fo the role you like.

Where as the DK only has the "potential" to dps/tank

so the Pally has more "potential"

Vinceruos_t

join:2012-05-04
reply to McBrain
If you just plan on DPSing then I would say DK. You have 2 diff DPS specs to choose from that play differently and both are competitive. Unless you prefer playing a massive burst class then I would say ret. If you plan on doing arena at all or just capping in 2v2 each week then I would say ret as well. Rets are rly good in 2s bc of the burst , heals, and Hands that they provide.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to DarkLogix
Obviously you missed the part about how I only plan on playing DPS with this toon.

I already have an 85 Druid, Priest, Warrior, and Shaman...I think I've got tanking and healing covered.

Vince: I'll more than likely only be doing PvE DPS on this toon, I've got the 2s/3s thing covered with my sPriest and/or Resto Shaman.

So it looks like I'll level the DK. The mechanics of the class are entirely new to me, so it should be fun.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
I figured you'd just level it as DPS then have the potential for whatever.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
Naw man, I've already got 3 healer options and 2 tank options as it stands. I don't really want to burden myself with the added responsibility of having another tank/healer to maintain.

I kinda wanna play the role of the "noob DK" or "retardin"...Just some mindless fun, you know? If I want to get complicated I can play PvE Subtlety on my Rogue or Feral Druid.

Plus the DK mechanic is completely new to me...this one is the only one I've ever taken out of the starting area.
--

“Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”

bTU

join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO
Then go with the whack a mole procs of frost DK. It's actually kind of fun once you get used to your hotbar lighting up.

Unless they changed it with new patch. I haven't been in any dungeons on my DK since to see how the rotation works out.
--
He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Jobbie
Keep It Simple
Premium
join:2010-08-24
Mexico
kudos:5
reply to McBrain
I just took the Rogue I converted to 80 (from level 6)using the scroll of resurrection and been having fun learning how to play the class, I found it easier compared tomy old feral dps.
--
Judge a man by the trials of his shield, not the empty reaping of his sword.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to McBrain
Ok, though you did ask which would have more "potential" not just more potential for dps.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to McBrain
said by McBrain:

Which should I level, since I'm a little bored; Pally or DK.

Pally is 54, DK is 59. I have full plate DPS BOAs. And plan on only playing a DPS spec...I've played neither of the classes at a high level, and would like to familiarize myself with whichever one will have the most potential at 90.

Any opinions?

I absolutely love... Love playing my DK. Now, I love playing Blood/Unholy... but I'd have a blast bouncing between Frost and Unholy.
--
Immergruen (resto/boomie) on Nathrezim Server (US)
Guild leader for Pride and Ego

Intelligence is no substitute for Character.

puppy

join:2010-01-28
reply to McBrain
I personally like the warrior dps more, but I think you already have a warrior no? I don't like the 3 light go system of pallies now nor the runes coming in and out of DKs. Warrior just smashes face!

Immer
Gentleman
Premium
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by puppy:

I personally like the warrior dps more, but I think you already have a warrior no? I don't like the 3 light go system of pallies now nor the runes coming in and out of DKs. Warrior just smashes face!

he used to be "the Warrior"... I think he deleted it, though when he converted to face-melting.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to puppy
Yeah, here is a breakdown of my current 85s:

DPS
Warrior (Arms)
Rogue (Combat)
Priest (Shadow)
Shaman (Enhancement)
Druid (Balance)

TANK
Warrior
Druid

HEALS
Priest (Discipline)
Shaman
Druid

I also have a Warlock at 80...

The Rogue is and always have been...meh. Not as much fun in PvE as PvP, by any stretch of the imagination. The Shaman has become a lot less fun to play since the patch, I was mainly Enhancement PvE/Resto PvP. The Warrior was stripped naked and bank emptied...she was about to be deleted all together, but I decided against it, thankfully. The Druid is mainly just my herbing bitch...so that leaves me with the Priest, which is and for the most part always has been my main, I love him...if I ever stop playing WoW, I'll have his picture by my bed.

I think the most reasonable class for me to level at this point would be a DK, the mechanics are new to me, the skill-cap seems fairly low, and they're always going to be competitive DPS. The utility of a Paladin isn't attractive to me, because I've already got that utility covered with my 5 other 85s.
--

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Immer
said by Immer:

he used to be "the Warrior"... I think he deleted it, though when he converted to face-melting.

Thanks for that compliment!

The warrior is still around...and Dragon's Roar and PvProt Bladestorm make it VERY inticing to get some gear and slap somebody again.
--

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
right now in ic regs my frost dw dk is doing about 2k dps, at lvl 70 so right now its pretty fun, when i get him to 85 ill more than likely switch to unholy, frost is in a wierd spot at that level, rp doesnt come fast enough in uh pres but runes dont gen fast enough in frost they are still trying to balance it out in beta last i checked.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
If you say you burned my map, I'll nail your tits to the table!

mettachain
Goblineer

join:2011-09-27
Azeroth
kudos:1
reply to McBrain
said by McBrain:

...play the role of the "noob DK" or "retardin"...Just some mindless fun, you know?

DK is the class you want then. completely mindless. you literally only need 1 brain cell to play a dk....tank or dps specs. period.
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

Vinceruos_t

"DK is the class you want then. completely mindless. you literally only need 1 brain cell to play a dk....tank or dps specs. period."

Because DPSing on any class in WoW is hard amirite?

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
^^ someone plays a dk for a main.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to Vinceruos_t
C'mon, Vince...hard is relative. Several specs are "harder" to play than DKs. Nothing in the game is really hard...just some things are more involving than others.

Vinceruos_t

Tbo I disagree. Every class has about the same complexity nowa days. Some may be harder for you personally because you are not used to it, but in order to perform at a high level, each class's difficulty is about the same. I have every class at 85 and have at least done raid finder on all of them so I have expericance with every class. Sure you can "face roll" on a frost DK and do ok DPS, but like I said if you want to perform at a high level and top charts its a lot more in depth then that trust me. Just like when people say for the old arcane mage, "all you have to do is push 12121212". Again for arcane mages you could do that and do shitty-average DPS, but in order to top charts it took a whole lot more skill. So I stand by my statement that every single class has about the same complexity in order to perform at a high level in thier rotations. The only exception I would make is demo locks before the last patch, but that is only bc their rotation was clunky and out of control with the pet twisting and what not.

Nick D
Premium
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA
reply to McBrain
I'll throw in my 2 cents:

Frost DKs with 1s GCDs and infinite procs made my wrists hurt from mashing buttons so hard.

Class needs Ritalin yo.

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth
reply to Vinceruos_t
said by Vinceruos_t:

Tbo I disagree. Every class has about the same complexity nowa days. Some may be harder for you personally because you are not used to it, but in order to perform at a high level, each class's difficulty is about the same. I have every class at 85 and have at least done raid finder on all of them so I have expericance with every class. Sure you can "face roll" on a frost DK and do ok DPS, but like I said if you want to perform at a high level and top charts its a lot more in depth then that trust me. Just like when people say for the old arcane mage, "all you have to do is push 12121212". Again for arcane mages you could do that and do shitty-average DPS, but in order to top charts it took a whole lot more skill. So I stand by my statement that every single class has about the same complexity in order to perform at a high level in thier rotations. The only exception I would make is demo locks before the last patch, but that is only bc their rotation was clunky and out of control with the pet twisting and what not.

First off, there is no 12 button on my keyboard. Guess that's why I couldn't play an arcane mage. Second, even with Blizzards invention of the mana burn/regen phases of Arcane, it still had zero complexity.

Death Knights are the same. It's hit 1,2,3,4 win.

I haven't played every class since the patch but I have played most. I too, like many others here have all 85s with at least LFR gear.

The only thing DKs have is in blood presence to increase healing recieved for the raid group and that's only with t13 bonus. once that's gone DKs only have CDs for themselves. there's no utility, no raid buffs except horn of winter. they can tunnel vision. they are easy mode.
--
If you find the information in my post helpful or interesting, please throw me a Kudos. Thanks!

cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE
not true frost brings melee haste, and amz is now a talent that is droppable anywhere like dnd, and HoW of course.
--
Hen Wlad Fy Nhadau!
If you say you burned my map, I'll nail your tits to the table!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to mettachain
BTW I've been meaning to look this up, what happened to pali auras?
I haven't seen them since the patch.

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium
join:2000-08-12
New Boston, TX
paly auras are gone, replaced them with a seal bar now :/

Vinceruos_t

reply to mettachain
What class do you Metta? Let me guess, combat rogue?

mettachain
Goblineer

Azeroth

1 edit
combat rogue was my 6th 85 but also my original toon ever when i first started playing the game back in 06. they get boring to me in pve and i lack the twitch capacity to effectively play a rogue in pvp.

i'll let you read back in this thread »Class: Shaman! Your thoughts on the changes.... a bit to see what my main happens to be this expansion.

you should set yourself up a signature block with your current tier WoL parses since you talk so much shit and NEVER back that ass up broseidon, king of the brocean.
--

Bahamut X
Premium
join:2000-12-09
Fort Worth, TX
reply to DarkLogix
Devotion aura - raidwide damage mitigation cooldown, available in all specs.

Crusader Aura - perm. passive buff, not shared.

Everything else - gone.

McBrain
BRB Face Melting

Kalimdor
reply to mettachain
Ok, here's the deal...I completely forgot that I was renewing that account and the SoR thing was still going on...I called Blizzard on Friday and told them there was an issue with my scroll of resurrection, and that I never received it from my buddy. There was no issue, and the guy on the phone gave me a level 80 Mage with no questions asked.

So, now I have a level 81 Arcane Mage that I like a ton. I agree that the rotation is pretty simple, but it is a little more involving that I thought it would be...instead of 1-1-1-1-2, it's more like 3-1-1-1-4-3-2-1-1-1-4-3. 1 being Arcane Blast, 2 being Missiles, 3 being Frost Bomb, and 4 being Barrage. Macro all my dps cooldowns to Arcane Blast and I'm all set.

The question I ask is, is Frost Bomb and Arcane Barrage op through 85? Because, at level 81, I have 36k health and I'm seeing both spells crit single targets for +40k while self-buffed. Hell, I've got the jump on two seperate players with Polymorph, Frost Bomb, Arcane Blast = DEAD. One was a Hunter that I just got a Frost Bomb off on...he had 22k health (lvl 80), and it crit him for 25k.

There does seem to be a little more to manage as an Arc Mage than just Blast and Missile procs...Balancing Arcane Charges is pretty simple but fun, then there are Mirror Images, Mana Gems, etc. I probably should have rolled a Mage a while ago.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
What you don't know is mage cakes actually look like this