uniqs
share rss forum feed

MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA

ATT Personal Web Pages

Just an FYI, if you don't have one setup now your about to lose the ability to have one per pwp.att.net. According to the little pop up on or after 12 September no new users will be able to create personal web pages thru ATT Personal Web Pages interface. I did not see anything about them setting up a new service.

If you haven't setup a site and would like one or not lose the service you might want to get something setup today.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
Not only that, but for those who currently have att.net PWP sites, the ftp server name was changed from my.att.net to pwp.att.net several weeks ago. There was no notice given (at least I did not get any notice). If you aren't aware of that ftp server change, you won't be able to update your att.net PWP sites anymore via ftp.

I found several weeks ago when I tried to upload some new files, that I no longer had FTP access to my att.net PWP sites. OTOH, the older BellSouth PWP sites were still fully functional. I initially assumed that this was just stage one of (another) att.net PWP site shutdown. They did this a couple of years ago, and only restarted them again after protests from many customers. This time however, was different; http access was still there for existing sites but ftp access was dead; so I did some nosing around on the Internet and found out about the ftp server name change on my own.
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

bigred44

join:2008-02-10
Charlotte, NC

No love for the people with xx@bellsouth.net email addresses.
Wont let me create a pwp.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by bigred44:

No love for the people with xx@bellsouth.net email addresses.
Wont let me create a pwp.

No, I think that the ability to create a new PWP site for a bellsouth.net account disappeared quite some time back. However, if you already have one setup, it "should" still be useable.

The current notice about not being able to create a new PWP site after today is only applicable to att.net PWP sites (all other domain names in the AT&T stable have already been disabled for PWP site creation).
--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

yesse

join:2004-05-09
Debary, FL
reply to MrHappy316
Here's what I received when I logged in this morning....notice the MOTD section named "Important Notice:".

It states...On or after September 12, 2012 the att.net Personal Web Page feature will be restricted.

1.It will no longer be possible to create a new Personal Web Page.
2.Users with Personal Web Pages that have been actively managed or viewed since March 10, 2012 will be able to continue updating their established pages.
3.Message Board features will no longer be available or functional.
4.Active users should bookmark the "Personal Web Page" management page for future reference and use.
5.Visit »www.att.com/esupport for additional information.

D:\>ftp home.bellsouth.net
Connected to www.att.net.
220-Welcome to AT&T Personal pages FTP Service v2.0 (13)
220-==========================================================================
220-         Welcome to AT&T Personal pages FTP Service v2.0 (13)
220-==========================================================================
220-No Anonymous connections. This is a private ftp server. Users who connect
220-more than 6 times within a minute will be blocked for 10 minutes. Any
220-unauthorised use will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of law.
220-===========================================================================
220-
220-
220-Important Notice:
220-On or after September 12, 2012 the att.net Personal Web Page feature will be restricted.
220-1.It will no longer be possible to create a new Personal Web Page.
220-2.Users with Personal Web Pages that have been actively managed or
220-viewed since March 10, 2012 will be able to continue updating their established pages.
220-3.Message Board features will no longer be available or functional.
220-4.Active users should bookmark the "Personal Web Page" management page for future reference and
use.
220-5.Visit http://www.att.com/esupport for additional information.
220 ===========================================================================
User (www.att.net:(none)): 
331 User name okay, need password.
Password:
230 User logged in, proceed.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for /bin/ls.
deathstar.jpg
index.html
226 Transfer complete. 27 bytes transferred. 1.76 KB/sec.
ftp: 27 bytes received in 0.01Seconds 1.93Kbytes/sec.
ftp> bye
221 Thank you for using AT&T FTP service.

MrHappy316
Wish I had my tank
Premium
join:2003-01-02
Monterey, CA
I lol at the deathstar.jpg on your ls command. I still haven't looked to see if my site survived