how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

andvari

join:2003-05-21
Freehold, NJ

OV Call Blocking Experiences

I've been putting the numbers used by credit card / electric rate robocaller dirtbags into my OV call blocking list on web site. It helps a lot - I've gone from 5 per day to less than one. I've got about 15 numbers blocked.

One thing I've noticed is that a few of the calls from blocked numbers seem to be getting through to to point that the phone rings a couple of times. However it doesn't get to the point where these rats can deliver their scam message.

Anyone have any experiences with this?

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I have recently had a similar experience. After trying much the same as you did, I finally contacted Optimum Help, by the Help page on the website. They responded by saying that they could not help by email, I had to call them. Well, that is rather inconvenient most days, since my past experience shows that if you call them, you had better be at home, because they won't help you if you call from work, for instance. So it was a couple of days til I was going to be home and have the time to do this. After a day and a half, the calls stopped. The only suggestion I have is to delete some of them and re-add them to your list. that's the only other thing I did.

Tradewind
Ultra 101
Premium
join:2005-11-08
Marlboro, NJ
reply to andvari
I think some of OV features will ring your phone at least one time. Call forwarding will ring your land line once. Maybe ringing your phone, even when you don't want it to, is necessary for the feature to work. Just a guess.

momcat1
No Relation To The Bobcat

join:2002-10-21
Wappingers Falls, NY
To Tradewind:

No, it doesn't work that way.

root

join:2002-12-11

1 edit
reply to andvari
said by andvari:

I've been putting the numbers used by credit card / electric rate robocaller dirtbags into my OV call blocking list on web site. It helps a lot - I've gone from 5 per day to less than one. I've got about 15 numbers blocked.

One thing I've noticed is that a few of the calls from blocked numbers seem to be getting through to to point that the phone rings a couple of times. However it doesn't get to the point where these rats can deliver their scam message.

Anyone have any experiences with this?

Are these calls that are getting through already on your block list? Reason I ask is because if that's the case it's possible the number is coming through on caller ID with a 1 infront (IE: If you blocked 516-000-0000 and this number called and got through with the caller ID showing as 1516-000-0000)

If this is what is happening call normal OV tech support and tell them this. It can be corrected manually.