spc
Search similar:

uniqs
59137280 (banned)
join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC

59137280 (banned)

[Need Info] Password keeper freeware

Looking for a freeware, open-source, good quality, encrypting, visually nice & simple, no clutter, password keeping proggie.
Which one would you recommend?

LinkTech
Former Linksys Tech
join:2002-07-02
Mission Viejo, CA

LinkTech

Not open source but I highly recommend LastPass. Couldn't live without it now.

Kilroy
MVM
join:2002-11-21
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy to 59137280

MVM

to 59137280
I'll second LastPass. As LinkTech See Profile said, it isn't open source. The free version does everything most people need. If you want more you need to pony up for the premium, which at $1 a month is dirt cheap. For my $1 a month I have a Yubikey for two factor authentication and have the application on my iPod touch, iPad, Kindle Fire.

And the absolute best thing. LastPass can't give up my passwords, they don't know them, even though they store them.

Steve Gibson did a pretty in depth look at how LastPass works in Security Now! - Episode 256

I now only know one password. I can access my passwords from any connected device.

chachazz
Premium Member
join:2003-12-14

chachazz to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
Free and open source .. well known, well used.

Password Safe (originally developed by Bruce Schneier)

Keepass Password Safe

GPassword Manager

Java Password Safe

Make a search at Sourceforge.net.

Msradell
Premium Member
join:2008-12-25
Louisville, KY

Msradell to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
LastPass is certainly the best one I've found.
59137280 (banned)
join:2006-07-06
Montreal, QC

59137280 (banned)

Well LastPass sounds very tempting with all the gushing sponsored reviews and all, but I've chosen KeePass and this is why: I will never trust my passwords to anything other than open-source freeware, especially when we are speaking of something that stores my sensitive data remotely.

Viet Vet
Support Our Troops
Premium Member
join:2005-12-17
Baldwin, NY

Viet Vet to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
Lastpass +1

mmainprize
join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to 59137280

to 59137280
+1 KeePass

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
LastPass seems to be very popular, however, if data isn't encrypted before it leaves your machine, how can it be "secure"?

Does LP do that?

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

Kilroy

MVM

From the Security Now! link I provided previously. Starting on page 22 of the PDF. Changes have been made to allow you to specify how many times it is run through the SHA. LastPass recommends 500, making it computationally expensive to attempt to guess your password.
said by Steve Gibson :
So the way this works is, the reason I'm using it, is I now understand how it works and why it's absolutely trustable, is that very much like Jungle Disk, which we've talked about in the past, all the encryption is done locally. That is, at no point does LastPass receive anything other than what looks like a block of pseudorandom noise.
said by Steve Gibson :
So the idea is that when you log in, when you give your system your LastPass username and password, the first thing it does is it runs it through this SHA - it lowercases the email address, removes the white space, adds the password, and then it does this hash to it, turning it into a 256-bit blob which tells the blob holder nothing about your username and password. It's just like it's been digested into this thing. In fact, hashes are called "digests," also, for that reason.

What that is, is that is your cryptographic key. That's the key which your system will use, both to encrypt your data which is being shared with LastPass Corporate, and also to decrypt it when LastPass Corporate sends this back to you. They're holding the encrypted results of your own personal database, just because that's what they do. That's the service they provide, essentially, that and creating all these amazing plug-ins for everything anyone's ever heard of. So but what they're holding, they have no ability to decrypt. They never get the key. That never leaves your system.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN

Dustyn to mmainprize

Premium Member

to mmainprize
May give KeePass another try.
I can't decide which version to use, and I'm not sure if it fills in passwords automatically under IE9 and Opera?

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to 59137280

to 59137280
To those using LastPass

Is it a portable software that you can carry with you on a USB stick or do you need to install it in every browser/PC everywhere you want use it ?

It sounds like you have to have an internet connect to use LastPass is that a correct statement ?.

I store other passwords for things like Virtual Drives that i use when setting up computers before the network is setup so i need to access the password database without internet access.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

Find info you want @ »lastpass.com/

Kilroy
MVM
Saint Paul, MN

1 recommendation

Kilroy to mmainprize

MVM

to mmainprize
LastPass Features
said by LastPass :
ACCESS FROM USB KEYS
Backup and read from your USB key!

Securely backup your data to a USB key and use Firefox Portable or LastPass Pocket to use your data directly from the USB key.
Yes you can have a portable version, but it requires the premium version.

You don't have to install it to use it. You can either access their site and go from there or use bookmarklets. I use bookmarklets on my work machine as LastPass is not on the approved software list, mainly because there is a cost for commercial use and I haven't gone through the process to get it approved.
Guru
join:2008-10-01

Guru

Thanks guys for the information on LastPass. Looks very secure.

Just out of curiosity, what do you guys think of Norton's version of Identity Protection (Vault now)? How much would you rate that?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

decx to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
My vote goes to Keepass.

chachazz
Premium Member

chachazz

Premium Member

said by decx:

My vote goes to Keepass.

+1 , mine too
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

1 recommendation

OZO to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280
I'm using KeePass v1.xx. It's just one executable file plus encrypted database. It's secure and portable, no installation is required. Easily enters data into IE, FF, etc... online forms.

Gone Fishing
Premium Member
join:2001-06-29

1 edit

Gone Fishing to 59137280

Premium Member

to 59137280

Re: [Need Info] Password keeper freeware   

KeePass Password Safe 2.20

mmainprize
Houghton Lake, MI

mmainprize to Kilroy

to Kilroy

Re: [Need Info] Password keeper freeware

said by Kilroy:

LastPass Features

said by LastPass :
ACCESS FROM USB KEYS
Backup and read from your USB key!

Securely backup your data to a USB key and use Firefox Portable or LastPass Pocket to use your data directly from the USB key.
Yes you can have a portable version, but it requires the premium version.

You don't have to install it to use it. You can either access their site and go from there or use bookmarklets. I use bookmarklets on my work machine as LastPass is not on the approved software list, mainly because there is a cost for commercial use and I haven't gone through the process to get it approved.

I have looked over the LastPass web site and the Features page but still can not fully understand if it would work for me in all cases. I guess i would have to try it to find out for sure.

It looks like it is tailored to internet web browsing passwords and not all other kinds of passwords you may want to store. I store all kinds of passwords in KeePass and many are not for internet web sites. Home and work passwords, network shares, different user logins in both my many real and Virtural PC's, some with and some without internet access. So i think i would have issues with LastPass but i can see it value for the average users.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

Roboform Lite is free and does some of that. Not sure why you say it needs to be open source.