Search similar:

uniqs

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Advice on AMD Eyefinity

Eventually I want to set up 3 monitors on my graphics card...will be in the next 4-6 months probably...as buying 3 new monitors (the bezel on my current one is too thick to just buy two more) and the displayport hub is going to set me back at least $400.

I have searched the web pretty thoroughly and can't find too much info on the "how-to" of setting up Eyefinity, either 5x1 portrait, 3x1 landscape, or 3x2 landscape...

Do I just plug the displayport hub into my GPU then plug the monitors into the hub, and that's it?

Can someone kind of walk me through it a little..?

And here is a monitor similar to what I am thinking about getting: »www.amazon.com/Acer-S231 ··· 03N7P6TC

A little help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
McBrain

McBrain

Really...no one knows enough about Eyefinity to give me a quick rundown on how to set things up?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

i screwed my screens up the other day messing with eyefinity 10 minutes before a raid. i had wow up on two screens, which was cool but my action bars and stuff were off the screens down at the bottom. i ended up having to restart my computer to get everything fixed and i held up the raid start by 10 mins...

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

From what I'm reading you get pretty poor results if you don't go with 3x1 in landscape, 5x1 in portrait, or 3x2(6 screens) in landscape.

I just can't seem to map out in my head the relationship between the monitors, displayport hub, and GPU...Do I need a displayport dongle for each monitor? Do I need just one that all three monitors plugs into? How's that part of it work?

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

good question. one that i'd like answered as well. i just my monitors plugged directly into my card (one HDMI and one VGA). my next build i'd like to use eyefinity with 3 screens turned 90 degrees

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
Marietta, GA

McBrain

Yeah, I'm just trying to get an idea of what I will need before I start buying $150 monitors and $50 adapters...I don't wanna buy the wrong stuff.

Octavean
MVM
join:2001-03-31
New York, NY

Octavean to McBrain

MVM

to McBrain
I’m not sure about you question but here is one of my system configurations:
quote:
Intel Core i7 3930K Sandy Bridge-E 3.2GHz (3.8GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Processor
Asus P9X79 Deluxe LGA2011 motherboard
Added Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 kit for a total of 32GB of system RAM (8x4GB)
HD 6870 video card (upgraded from GeForce 8800 GTS 640)
Asus VE276Q, VE278Q and VK278Q triple 27” (1920x1080) Widescreen Monitor setup (Dual Link DVI, HDMI and DisplayPort)
Corsair Force Series 3 120GB SATA III SSD 2x
Asus BD ROM / DVD Burner
Antec EarthWatts 650 PSU
Antec P180 case

These Asus 27” monitors all have DVI, HDMI and Displayport. Therefore I simply connected them as follows:

DVI to DVI via a DVI cable
HDMI to HDMI via an HDMI cable
DisplayPort to mini DisplayPort via a Displayport to mini DisplayPort cable.

If you don’t own all the monitors yet why not simply look for monitors with the native support of the interface you want? You’re talking about ~$150 for a monitor and ~$50 for an adaptor, why not just buy a good ~$200 monitor,….?