Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

2 edits

Immer

Premium Member

[Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest

I'm no replacement for Adalicia. I have been playing Disc since WotLK and Holy since 4.3. But I defer to Derevka for all preistly healcrafting. Derevka is now using the HowToPriest.com forum to host his long wall of text guides. His main site TalesofaPriest is still used for blog-sized updates. Very clean setup. I am also using his WeakAura Strings.

Derevka Guide to Discipline healing
Derevka Guide to Holy healing

I'm short on time today, but I'll try to share my own thoughts on Discipline and Holy Priest healing in the next day or so. For those of you not websensed (or willing to visit the links before logging on tonight at home) the aforementioned guides are just too awesome to not share.

Nick D
Premium Member
join:2010-02-04
Orange, CA

Nick D

Premium Member

I finally retalented my priest over the weekend, and finally read PW: Solace.

I don't care how good any other talents are, DPS for mana is always going to be one of my favorite healing mechanics and thank $deity for it.

Um, I don't know enough to actually contribute

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
This might be handy this weekend.

I think I'm going to do a wrath dungeon on my lvl69 holy priest and hope to not fail.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
i will say this, priest do not get a rez spell until level 18, why? who the hell knows. i started a priest to test out holy on a random server the other day, and some jackass decideds to fall into the lava in RFC and guess what i am level 16 cant rez you bub ghost crawl your ass back to the beginning

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

clearly... I'm not doing very well with the "narrow down my playtime to 2 classes". We'll see what my guild really needs of me when MoP drops.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

i'm with you. i really need to only focus on two toons this next xpac. although i have innate need to have all my profs at max and be able to freely farm materials for production and AH shuffling. i don't know I DON'T KNOW!

azinator
CS is the DEVIL
Premium Member
join:2000-08-12
Texarkana, TX

azinator

Premium Member

it's easy to do if all you have is just 2 toons to begin with

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

While prepping for last night's raid, I decided to see how much sustained dps I can manage in disc spec. I was pulling 14k dps on the target dummy (probably closer to 18k dps raid buffed).

HF > Penance > Smitex3> HF > Archangel > Penance > Smitex3 > HF ...

Not a bad way to contribute dps for low dmg phases... my mana regen is still a bit high for lvl85.
Arsinic
join:2011-02-17
Ruffs Dale, PA

Arsinic

I'm guess you have spirit on all of your gear then? I think my priest needs to unforge all of my spirit back and replace my non spirit pieces with spirit pieces, because I was actually burning through mana pretty quickly while dpsing..

I miss the old attonement healing, I havent healed more than a 5 amn instance since the patch, and I was dual boxxing so that could have been part of the problem.( playing the hunter and dual boxxing the priests spells which cant be efficient)

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

yes, I basically switched to my holy gear, and changed all of my reforges to prioritize mastry and enough haste for the extra renew tick (12.5% at 85) when i'm in holy spec. I have HF glyphed, so the only spells that "suffer" from my lower haste are Penance (we don't get an extra pulse, it just channels faster) and Prayer of Healing (which would be awesome if I could get enough to squeeze in one more during Spirit Shell). Currently, my combat regen sits at 3868.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Immer

to Immer
My ears were burning.

Glad to see someone else taking over the monumental task oh bringing informative priest information to these forums. I may return to posting frequently on here, bad news is it won't be Priest information if I do. No, I've returned to my first love thanks the massive rework, my Warlock.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

said by Adalicia:

No, I've returned to my first love thanks the massive rework, my Warlock.

pics on Sodahead

I shall do what I can in your absence.

edit: what I find funny is I just deleted my 85 lock, lol.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
Adalicia look at the pain you've caused that poor little cat.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Adalicia

Premium Member

to Adalicia
woman thou art cruel
Buffalobill2
join:2011-07-27
Youngsville, NC

Buffalobill2 to Immer

to Immer
Thanks for stepping up to the task Immer. I'm looking forward to your input. I only started Priest healing about 6 months ago and have primarily been using Disc...tried Holy and even ran half a DS run while testing it out, but my passion is with Disc. The changes for MoP didnt hurt us Disc Priests imo, in fact I think they really pumped us up. Our guild was farming R-Morchuk the other night in a 8 man group when the other healer (Holy Priest) dc'd about half way through. I was able to keep everybody alive and still end up with half my mana wearing just ilvl 392 gear. That was a feel good moment and made me all the more anxious to get started in MoP.

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia

Priests should be in a fairly good spot post 5.0.4. Mana normalization doesn't hurt us in the least and if you were a priest worth your salt you know that sustainability comes before pure throughput because by the time you hit the point where throughput becomes the most important part of your job you've already reached the sustainability levels needed to make it count. Gear raining down like candy and mana essentially becoming a non factor in most cases doesn't hurt matters. Talent wise I'm less than impressed, a few new tricks and tools but ultimately I still feel like the class as a whole is a shadow of what it was and should be, hence me moving on. I don't think I'll be shelving Adalicia all together but since achievements, pets, and mounts are account wide I'll certainly have an easier time letting go.

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to Adalicia

to Adalicia
Just make sure you don't play an undead warlock, this kitten doesn't like them.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest (Discipline)

I decided I needed a mental break from RL for a bit, so let's talk about Discipline healing in 5.0.4.

What we must say goodbye to:
• Divine Hymn. I'm going to miss it some, sure... but can you imagine how ridiculously overpowered it would have been if used during Spirit Shell?
• Archangel no longer gives us mana back. Which leaves us with fiend and Rapture for mana regen. (hymn of hope isn't worth mentioning... entirely too situational and altruistic).

Now the good stuff:
• Spirit shell is the key to being a great Discipline priest. I will be quoting Derevka's writeup on the spell and sharing what I've learned.
• We now get Evangelism(Passive), Atonement(Passive) {smite/HF healing} and have the Strength of Soul (Passive) mechanic where we use heal to reduce the weakened soul debuff. (before, we needed to chose one style over the other in our spec). So we can shift between tank healer and raid healer mid-fight and we are also better able to adjust to having another disc priest in the raid (before, if both of you were spec'd into atonement, only one of you got the big numbers due to weakened soul being up forever).
• From Darkness, Comes Light ("mana" talent) gives us one of the coolest throughput benefits that previously only Holy priests had. Smite, Heal (our bread and butter), flash heal, binding heal, and gheal have a chance to proc a free, instant, Flash Heal... and the proc stacks to 2. So you don't even have to fire off the first one immediately. You can wait until a second procs before you fire one off... and flash heal hits big. I consider it a throughput talent more than a mana talent, because to calculate the mana savings would require a lot of assumptions/RNG. So, the trick to this is to store up 2 charges during the low dmg, smite/heal phase leading up to a high dmg phase. That way you have 2 instant Flash heals that will create bubbles during Spirit Shell before you start your PoH spam.

Okay, so let's talk Spirit Shell a minute. At my current haste level (which is low) I can squeeze in 4 PoH during Spirit Shell (15 sec). The spell has to finish while Spirit Shell is up for it to create the bubble. So if you have 2 FDCL procs stored up, I might knock out 2 flash heals and 4 POH (depending on haste procs) to get the raid ready for high dmg phases. That's intense. The haste breakpoint I was mentioning earlier was the level of haste needed to squeeze in a fifth POH... but I don't see that being a good idea right now. Let's see where the stat inflation of MoP gear brings us down the road (I don't like using beta datamines for this stuff... I'd rather just see the live stuff). So lets look at Derevka's writeup on Spirit Shell:
said by HowToPriest :

Post by derevka >> September 1st, 2012, 1:02 pm

X. Spirit Shell
Spirit Shell is a new tool available to Discipline in MOP. Essentially it allows us, on a short 1 minute cooldown, to convert all of our spells into absorbs that last for 15 seconds. Finally, we have a spell that lets us do what we've always wanted to do... mass absorbs!

This isn't mechanically different than POH spamming to prepare a raid with Divine Aegis prior to damage occuring that many priests have been comfortable doing in 4.3. Spirit Shell now simply allows us to do this much more effectively, and with much greater ease. Note: Spirit Shell caps at 60% of the Casting Priest's HP.

Using Spirit Shell effectively will be a hallmark of a good Discipline Priest. You could simply use Spirit Shell on cooldown and either pad a tank, or POH pad a raid and see fairly positive results--- however the real marker of a good Disc Priest will be using SShell when its needed the most. Despite it having a fairly short cooldown, we might want to pause a second or two to line up Spirit Shell's absorbs to large raid/boss damage. Simply using the ability on cooldown will be effective, but ultimately not as effective of using it when the fight benefits from it. The tricky part is not delaying it so much, that the short cooldown is wasted.

Spirit Shell scales exceptionally well from both Mastery and Crit. Each cast of a heal while Spirit Shell is active will be the same (barring throughput procs). The Spirit Shell calculation takes Mastery, Crit, and Divine Aegis creation into account and rolls it all up into a single absorb-- making this one of our most scalable heals in our arsenal. Spirit Shell scales linearly by Mastery as well as by the amount of critical strike chance you have. Additionally, when Spirit Shell is active, it essentially ignores the RNG aspect of Crit as it provides direct scaling based on your critical strike chance (guaranteed). (It does this by essentially looking at Crit as an aggregate stat, not as a RNG stat based on a single heal)

Spirit Shell's Calculation is as follows:
Non-POH Shell = Average Heal * (1 + Mastery %) * (1 + Crit %) * (1 + (Crit % * 0.30))
POH Shell = Average Heal * (1 + Mastery %) * (1 + Crit %) * 1.30

As you can clearly see, SShell's stat scaling is quite liberal, scaling crit linearly with the amount it absorbs; essentially guaranteeing crit chance to provide scaling to the heals cast when SShell is active. (as well as accounting for Divine Aegis).

Haste does not have a direct throughput increase to an individual cast of Spirit Shell, however it does allow you to cast faster while the Spirit Shell proc is active, and theoretically, create more Shells during a single Spirit Shell cooldown. Generally speaking, you should be able to fit in 6 GHeal/POH casts during Spirit Shell's uptime. (some haste and spell conditions might allow for upwards of 7). Haste scales Spirit Shell in a tiered fashion, given the fact that you must complete the cast when Spirit Shell's buff is active. If you cannot complete the cast when the buff is active, it is considered a regular heal. Once you get enough haste to complete that cast in the time allotted, then you can count it towards SShell scaling.

How do you make the most out of Spirit Shell? Know the fight. That is always the biggest boon to a Discipline Priest. The more you know and understand the fight, the better you can be at predicting periods of large amounts of damage and preemptively preparing the raid (or Tank) with Absorbs.

Spirit Shell does not scale with Archangel, so save this cooldown for after/before Spirit Shell is going to be used. Further, Inner Focus only provides the mana cost reduction when Spirit Shell is active. (this is intentional given how Spirit Shell's guaranteed crit scaling is already accounted for). Remember to use, and time these abilities appropriately before or after a Spirit Shell period.

Generally, absorb mechanics are fundamentally superior to raw healing. This is because it actually prevents the damage from happening to a player. If a killing blow is prevented via mitigation, regardless how much a player can raw heal, that mitigated damage is tops.

Cake09
Premium Member
join:2009-09-29
united state

Cake09 to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest

I have tried out Disc at 19, 37-40 and 85 in both PvE and PvP.

I am happy with it at all levels. (though I sniffle a little when I think of manaburn going bye bye)

I expect lower levels to experience a "nerf" soon, due to too much mana regen, super bubbles and "make a rogue cry penance".

I had to replace power torrent with spirit at 85, but my mana return felt fine after that.

I have not been using solace yet, the improved mindbender has been sufficient so far...and it is cute.

Psyfiend has been endless amusement in BGs. It does not have much health so I recommend tossing a bubble on it after placement. Dropping one will eat your fearward atm, so watch out for that. (that bug has been reported) I briefly looked at tentacles but found I coudld quickly kill the tentacles laid on me by other Priests. Even though there is a DR issue with Psyfiend, it still won out for me. The new Mind Control would be my alternate choice depending on my role in structured PvP.

I used to run Holy for PvE, but it does not look interesting at all so I have not tried it.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest (Discipline)

I know I keep delaying the Holy Priest Healing discussion. I healed my first dungeon in MoP as holy (by mistake... woke up late and queued up with guildies while still waiting for my coffee to cool down a bit) and I must say that I prefer the mana regen in my holy spec. Granted, with a 398 geared party, there was not a lot of healing needed unless we completely borked a mechanic... but I could blow through my mana and regen most of it by the next pull. This observation might only be valid for lvl 85/86 and may deteriorate rapidly...

The new dungeons cater better having a "healer on the move", so r.druids, h.priests should be strong for fast runs. HW:Sanctuary needs to be timed with mechanics so that you aren't dropping one just as the tank is forced to move the boss and melee. I really need to switch to lightspring for dungeons. Body and Soul is great for both specs, don't see a need for the angelic feathers just yet, but surprisingly I am tempted to try using Phantasm in the brewery dungeon.

In other news, I was able to solo quest in my discipline spec pulling between 12~14K dps. It was slow (compared to a dps toon pullin 22K), but I was not forced to drop a healing spec to do quests... but I simply could not die. Heck, my atonement healing was healing up NPCs around me, so in many cases I had lots of help killing mobs, lol.

So far, both healing specs are strong for the first dungeons, and You shouldn't have any problem leveling up disc or shadow. I may drop one of my healing specs for faster soloing... but I just don't want to rebuild my shadow macros/keybinds only to drop them again at 90.. /sigh.
Immer

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest (Holy Healing)

Click for full size
Base build
Okay, so I've been working on leveling up to 90 by focusing on Shadow Spec for questing and healing dungeons only in Holy spec. Holy is a strong healing spec with very good mana regen. Lets talk about the talent points I've chosen as the "base spec" in the photo above.

Tier 15: I Prefer Psyfiend (in all specs) because the void tendrils just don't last long enough for me. Immaterial for raiding, really... but if you need to use this for a CC in dungeons, I highly recommend using the glyph of Psychic Scream (so they don't run off, they are feared in place). What makes this so powerful is you can place the Psyfiend up to 25yds away from you, and it's target area is 20yds. So you can plan ahead for a CC and use it before anything is on you.

Tier 30: I prefer Body and Soul for everyday healing. We will probably see a lot of Angelic Feather when we get into raiding, though... I'm excited about it.

Tier 45: I will be sticking with MindBender until I am more comfortable with how much spirit is on my gear (without gems/enchants/food). As long as I fire off 2 MindBender's per fight I'm coming out ahead of normal Shadowfiend... if I manage a third.. gravy (though it might mean our dps is lacking). Once the fights get shorter, I'm leaning more toward FDCL than PW:Solace. I'll revisit this once I have some better gear.

Tier 60: It all boils down to how you prefer to save your own skin. I like the Angelic Bulwark because of its spell affect. If I'm about to die, it's usually because everyone's hurting and I'm casting a Prayer of Healing (for the heal, and to proc Divine Insight). The bulwark ensures I live long enough for the heal to finish casting. With better gear (more powerful heals (INT) and faster heals (haste)) I will probably opt for Desperate prayer because I like having better control. As it stands now, using desperate prayer to save myself might involve canceling a heal on someone else.

Tier 75: Divine Insight is monstrous. It is both a throughput AND mana conservation talent. Although in Holy spec, I find myself using more of the procs rather than storing up 2 (a function of holy healing being more reactive rather than preventive).

Tier 90: Divine Star looks the best starter choice right now based on the first few raid boss fights. When strats start spreading the raid out more, I can see Cascade becoming the go-to spell because of its higher healing per cast.

Glyphs
For major glyphs, I will be running with Inner Sanctum (flat 6% reduction in spell dmg when using Inner Fire), Lightspring (peeps don't click the lightwell, I've learned to accept that), and Desperation.

Desperation. Yes, because so far it seems that Blizzard has moved away from asking healers to dispel everything on everyone all of the time to, "hey... I think I'll just randomly stun all of you to see how you cope... isn't healing fun?". I like having the flexibility of casting Guardian spirit on the tank if I get stunned. Lets look at some smart alternatives to this glyph:
• Renew: this makes each tick hit harder, but also shortens the duration of renew. So it makes it more of a quick HoT. It is important to note that if you are trying to reach a haste breakpoint for an extra tick of renew, this glyph actually makes it harder to reach. So check your haste breakpoints with the glyph and without the glyph to see which fits your gear best. I am convinced that lower geared toons will perform better without the glyph, just plan accordingly.
• Prayer of Mending: Is a strong option for dungeon healing and 10m tank healers. That extra oomph of healing on the first target is delicious. It's also wonderful in conjunction with a Divine Insight proc... the first person gets a huge heal. So if ghealing the tank is what got you your proc (and the tank is safe), then you can fire the PoM at another target for a quick heal.
• Spirit of Redemption: This will be strong for progression when you've not yet timed the exact point where the tank is getting gibbed... buy yourself an extra 10sec of SoR.
• Circle of Healing: If you are healing 25M this is a must. If you are a dedicated raid healer in 10m, this will only be as helpful as you can manage to hit 6 targets on each cast. Otherwise I think there are better glyphs.

Chakra Warning:
Once you select a Chakra, you are locked in that chakra for at least 30sec (cooldown on switching). So I don't recommend using the "grow out" button on your bars. Pull each chakra out individually and keep the Chastise Chakra far away from the healing ones. You can make due with mistakenly activating Serenity/Sanctuary... but getting locked into Chastise for 30sec can wipe the group.

Now, in much the same way that Spirit Shell use will be the sign of an excellent Discipline priest... Chakra use and Mana Management will be the signs of a great Holy Healer. For discussions of healer triage, I'll defer to Derevka's guid:
said by Derevka :

XI. Mana Management
Mana will be key in Mists of Pandaria. Figuring out which mana restoration talent you select (FDCL, Mindbender, or PW: Solace), as well as learning how to heal properly. Knowing which spells are suited best for the task at hand. Minimizing our Overhealing also should be a goal of every priest as to be certain we are not wasting our precious mana resources.

At level 90, all priests will be fixed at a flat 300,000 mana. The only way to increase this mana pool is via Meta Gems and the Gnome Racial, Expansive Mind. All spells will cost a fixed percentage of mana. This is means if Greater Heal costs you 5.9% mana (or 17,700 mana at level 90), it will always cost the same amount regardless of gear level. This addresses and interesting issue that Blizzard has always struggled with: mana cost scaling as people gear up through tiers.

What does this mean for us as Holy Priests? Well it means we will need to always be aware of our mana regen, and that Intellect is no longer a mana and throughput stat, it is just a throughput stat. Additionally, Spirit increases in value despite it providing no direct throughput.

We will need to be certain we are using our Regen abilities and potions to their maximum, as well as being certain our gear is balanced between raw throughput, and mana restoration and longevity. As you find yourself gearing up, and needing less spirit (since you have more on your gear) you can start pulling back from spirit from your food/flasks (first) then your gems. The reason I suggest this, as Food/Flask stats are at a 1:1 ratio Int:Secondary Stats, while gems are 2:1 Int:Secondary Stats.

XII. Rotation
For the most part, there is minimal amounts of change for Holy Priests in Mists of Pandaria.

There is no magic rotation for healing, and it really depends on how the damage is being received by your raid. Here are a series of basic rules and guidelines for a series of damage patterns (Low, Moderate, High, Overwhelming damage for both Single Target and Raid Healing). It should be underscored that these are just sample damage patterns and spell selection options and should not be taken as the only options to heal.

Regardless if you are Single Target or AOE healing, you will always want to keep your Lightwell/Lightspring on CD and within range of a majority of the Raid Group.

A) Single Target Healing
With some of the changes to Chakra: Serenity, Holy Priests can be powerful single target healers, which is something that we have historically struggled with. With Chakra: Serenity now providing a 15% buff to single target heals (Renew included) single target healing is something we can be viable at.

Low Single Target Damage

Chakra state isn't important provided throughput needs are low
Heal for triage
Renew for triage, and maintained via Chakra: Serenity on Main Tank Targets

Moderate Single Target Damage

Chakra: Serenity for added throughput and access to HW: Serenity
Heal for triage
HW: Serenity on targets who need a moderate instant heal, or will be a subsequent target of heals.
Renew for triage, and maintained via Chakra: Serenity on Main Tank Targets
POM on targets who will be taking continual damage and will proc the first charge of POM

High Single Target Damage

Heal and HW: Serenity for triage
Prayer of Mending on CD on the desired target
Greater Heal provided minimal overhealing
Flash Heal for Emergency Single Target Heals

Overwhelming Single Target Damage

Flash Heal on target, twice, followed by Serendipity hastened Greater Heal rotations
HW: Serenity to maintain Renew
Prayer of Mending as available

B) AOE or Raid Healing
Raid Healing has typically been the Holy Priest's wheelhouse, particularly Burst AOE healing... this is no exception in Mists of Pandaria. Paired with Chakra: Sanctuary, we have strong AOE healing combinations we can chain together to provide some of the strongest burst AOE healing in the game.

Low Raid Wide Damage

Chakra state isn't important provided throughput needs are low
Circle of Healing on cooldown, provided 3+ targets are in need of healing and are in range of the target.
Prayer of Mending on CD, provided it will be able to bounce to multiple targets
Renew on targets who may need additional healing, particularly if you are in Chakra: Serenity or have Inner Will active
Prayer of Healing on groups, if necessary, and if Prayer of Healing will heal 3+ targets with minimal overheal
Divine Star on CD, if specced

Moderate Raid Wide Damage

Chakra: Sanctuary for increased output and COH CD
Circle of Healing on CD
Prayer of Mending on CD
Renew targets who need additional healing (or if the damage is timed, pre-cast Renew on targets before damage starts)
Holy Word: Sanctuary in an area where a large group of the raid will be standing (ideally without the need to move out of the area)
Prayer of Healing on groups that need additional healing and Prayer of Healing will heal 3+ targets
Divine Star/Halo/Cascade on CD (Note on Halo/Cascade: Should be kept on CD provided predictable High or Overwhelming Raid Damage is not coming prior to the cooldown's completion and stability is not needed prior to its arrival)

High Raid Wide Damage

Circle of Healing on CD
Prayer of Mending on CD
Spam Prayer of Healing on groups that need additional healing
If damage is timed, pre-cast Renew on a number of targets before damage starts. Do not stop POH spam to single target renew.
Holy Word: Sanctuary in an area where a large group of the raid will be standing (ideally without the need to move out of the area, and before damage starts)
Divine Star/Halo/Cascade on CD
Divine Hymn if necessary to stay ahead of damage or to stabilize raid health

Overwhelming Raid Wide Damage

Circle of Healing on CD
Prayer of Mending on CD
If damage is timed, pre-cast Renew on a number of targets before damage starts.
Holy Word: Sanctuary in an area where a large group of the raid will be standing (ideally without the need to move out of the area, and before damage starts)
Divine Star/Halo/Cascade on CD
Divine Hymn

Immer

2 edits

Immer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Figure 1
Click for full size
Figure 2
Okay, so at ilvl464~466 Holy is performing better for our raids than Discipline. I'll admit I was not yet maximizing Rapture, Spirit Shell, or PoM, but it felt like I was forced to hard-cast PoH too much as disc. I switched to Holy and chose Holy Word: Serenity Chakra for healing our paladin tank. One of the biggest strengths of Holy healing is the ability to switch to Sanctuary Chakra for heavy AoE (needs to be worth the 30sec. CD on chakra, though). Thankfully our r.shaman is a powerful raid healer, so I didn't need to change Chakras on this last attempt. That may change if we get Jasper/Jade/Amethyst next week (or ZOMG not Jasper/Amethyst/Cobalt). Another amazing spell in the holy toolkit is Light spring (I glyphed Lightwell (extra 2 charges) AND LightSpring (no clicky heal for those below 50%)... and you can see the results in Figure 1).

I'd like to draw your attention to one talent swap in particular (Figure 1) I dropped Halo for Cascade. It is a wonderful heal. If you are using on CD (25sec), you'll end up using more mana than Halo on CD (40sec)... but neither spell should be used on CD. Use them when you can maximize their healing throughput. It's a great spell. My Circle of Healing use could improve... I attribute that to spending so much time healing this fight as Disc... I just need to work on weaving that GCD in more often.

Now in Figure 2, there are couple of digs on my performance... PoM uptime is far too low. I'm not sure if it was this fight or the first wipe but my hymn of hope got cut short by an amethyst pool (/grumble). But I did much better firing off Mindbender (nearly 150K mana return) and I swapped in my 463 trinket "Price of Progress" which kicked that mana pot's butt! Hymn of hope... priestly altruism... it probably was a full cast but dumped all of its mana on others, lol.

Anyway... I don't know how many other healing priests are on these forums, just felt like sharing what I learned this weekend.

Edit: wow, that Windsong wpn enchant is odd. I got 5 procs... twice for 1500 Mastery (cool), twice for 1500 Haste (nice), and once for 1500 Crit (meh).
Immer

Immer

Premium Member

Click for full size
Timline View
I love this timeline feature... it's a bit "zoomed out" but it gives you an Idea of what I was doing throughout the fight. I'm not 100% sure why PoM shows up as 3 different spells. It might have something to do with my SP at the time of the cast (procs, Twist of Fate?).

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie to Adalicia

to Adalicia

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest

My two main classes are Aff/Destro 'Lock and a Shadow/(TBD Healing) Priest. Thanks everyone for posting the Priest info in here, it's been extremely helpful for me. I'm still trying to decide whether to go Disc (which I prefer playing) or Holy (which is probably the better raid healer) for my OS on the Priest.

And I'm looking forward to Adalicia's new thread on 'Locks

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Carpie:

Holy (which is probably the better raid healer) for my OS on the Priest.

For now... I firmly believe Disc will scale better in later raiding tiers. Shad and Holy stat priorities fall closer in line than Shad and Disc.... but if your gear is all dps gear, then you'll need to acquire a second set of spirit gear anyway, so that point is moot in your case. For double-healing priests wanting to drop one of the specs for a shadow spec because of the daily grind... I recommend dropping Disc and using your holy reforged gear in your shad spec. The compromise is in the Mastery:Crit department. Holy priests value mastery higher than shads do (they like the Crit).

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Carpie

to Carpie
Wouldn't hold your breath, my time outside of my current 55 hour work weeks isn't leaving much room to play games, let alone post about them.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by Immer:

if your gear is all dps gear, then you'll need to acquire a second set of spirit gear anyway, so that point is moot in your case.

Seems I may have jumped the gun on this one. In many cases the spirit gear is better for your shad spec than the caster gear because of the spirit/hit conversion... at least up through 489 gear. I checked the recommended gear lists on Askmrrobot and the spirit versions of gear at each ilvl seem to edge out the non-spirit gear by a slight margin..until you reach items that have a higher +Hit than the +Spirit on the healing gear.

stonhinge
Premium Member
join:2003-07-28
Topeka, KS

1 recommendation

stonhinge

Premium Member

A spriest friend of mine noticed that he was getting more hit% when he reforged hit to spirit. I bonked him on the head and reminded him he was human.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

lol... awesome.
Expand your moderator at work