Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest (Discipline)

72k HPS on Garalon in this week's LFR as disc. 39k absorbs per sec.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Healing Priest

Discipline tips/tricks:

At the start of the fight if you are in a solid healing crew, dmg just isn't really going out. So what do we do? We dps. Target the boss and fire away your Holy Fire, Smite, AND Penance and Cascade/DivineStar. The Attonement smart heal is amazing... and faster at selecting deserving targets than you are. They still created Divine Aegis, and you aren't taxing your mana by doing this.

Now that Spirit Shell is properly benefiting from Arch Angel, SS is even more tremendous. Watch your dbm timer and build up SS stacks BEFORE the big dmg goes out.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Click for full size
Disc priests are hacks now.

Treebark
Premium Member
join:2010-03-04
Havelock, NC

Treebark

Premium Member

I would claw out my eyes if I had that UI.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

small screen, the raid frames cover up third of the map

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

it's 2560x1440.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

odd then

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

I really only use utilitarian addons (omen, recount, GTFO etc.) that assist me, but I still can live without them. Those break often enough after patches, I couldn't imagine not being able to do my job because my UI is broken.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

That's why I use Vuhdo. Quick to be updated, never been 100% broke after any patch.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to Treebark

Premium Member

to Treebark
said by Treebark:

I would claw out my eyes if I had that UI.

the only critique I have is how large the scale of the Raid Frame is and the fact that it is tacked to the left of the screen (i just find it easier for my eyes to scan down from center rather than left & down).
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
i have to agree that Disc is pretty easy now, i switched over the weekend to try it out since 5.1 and ya it is kinda throw a bubble PoH and throw some smites around, might stay with it for a while, still like holy though, i like changing chakras adds some fun to healing.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] 5.0.4 Holy DPS Priest, Batman!

I don't plan on contributing much more to this forum... but I'm still very attached to the Priest threads. While I was debating which of my healing specs to drop for shadow so that I can better complete dailies... I found that such a decision will just have to wait.

2 words: Holy DPS

Seriously... I completely underestimated the change to Chakra:Chastise
said by Patch5.1 :
Chakra: Chastise now increases the damage dealt by Shadow and Holy spells by 50% (was 15%), and reduces mana costs by 90% (was 75%) while the ability is in effect.
While questing, I was pulling 35k+ single-target dps... had some AoE spikes near 70k thanks to Divine Star and lots of little adds. My Disc spec holds a steady 20k while questing. As Disc I'm indestructible as long as I have mana... as Holy I have to actually heal myself occasionally... but man what a difference in dmg output. I'm still working on fine-tuning this approach (cut my experiment short to work on the druid).

Talent Changes: I switched Mindbender over to PW:Solace; and switched Cascade to Divine Star.

Glyph Changes: I didn't change any glyphs because I'm still needed to heal as holy for some fights. However, I do plan to run an LFR as Holy DPS soon. I will swap out my CoH glyph for the HF glyph so that HF will be insta-cast and allow me one more smite per debuff. I'd also most likely drop Lightwell for Smite (+20% Smite dmg to targets with HF debuff). Lightspring glyph will remain active so I can still contribute some emergency healing to the raid (so i can help heal through the stupid). I'm confident I can pull decent dps as Holy in LFR. I don't expect to top any meters... but I don't envision getting booted for low dps.

Reforge Changes: I didn't mess with my reforges since my Holy gear is already haste heavy. If I were going to dedicate myself to DPSing as Holy (and contributing to its inevitable nerf) I'd reforge out of Mastery into Haste > Crit.

Changes to my Action Bar: Newly keybound abilities were-Holy Fire, Smite, SW:Pain, SW:Death, PW:Solace, and Holy Word: Chastise, (DivineStar was already macroed in).

My priority system was mostly:
HF debuff
Chastise Buff
Divine Star
SW:Death
SW:P
Smite*

*Smite has a chance to refresh the CD on HW:Chastise, so it is definitely the spam spell... just like Disc.

My Clique profile still has all of my healing spells, so at any time I can swap Chakras and start healing. I still provide the raid with Guardian Spirit and Divine Hymn Raid CDs. It's good to be a Priest.

A neat experiment would be for those of you who are Primarily Shadow but carry a Holy OS would be to see if you can manage comparable dps/dmg done in your OS with the aforementioned tweaks.

Seriously, though... give it a shot. I haven't gone full-dmg and I can out dmg my disc spec (it takes a lot more work, atm... so Disc will be my fall-back "I'm going to do these dailies lazy-style" spec).

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
So I don't know if Disc priests got phantom buffed or what, but the nerfs have to be coming.

This is in ilevel 477 gear.

Heart of Fear, Second Half (LFR)
Wind-Lord - 63.5k HPS (20.4% of total)
Amber Shaper - 75.4k HPS (23.2% of total)
Empress - 76.3k HPS (20.0% of total)

I apologize for the shitty UI--I'm on my laptop, so I am squashed to 1920x1080.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

That's good performance, but I just can't see them nerfing us based on LFR dominance. Especially since we can keep glimbing the chart if the raid is staying topped up (absorbs are calculated before anyone even has a chance to heal).

As for holy dps, it's a lot of fun and allows me to knock out dailies faster than Disc. I have not yet gone into an LFR queued as Holy DPS yet.

Merry Christmas, DSLR.
Immer

Immer

Premium Member

said by Patch5.2PTR :
Priest

Power Word: Solace has been redesigned.
• Power Word: Solace replaces Holy Fire. It deals the same damage and interacts with other spells and abilities in the same manner, but is instant, costs no mana, and restores 1% of maximum mana on each cast.

Dominate Mind now has a 1.8 second cast time (was 2.5 seconds).
Angelic Feather now has a 6 second duration (was 4 seconds).
Body and Soul now has a 3 second duration (was 4 seconds).
Glyph of Holy Fire has been redesigned. It now increases the range of Holy Fire, Smite, and Power Word: Solace by 10 yards.

Discipline
•Focused Will now reduces damage taken by 15% per stack, with a limit of 2 stacks.
Spirit Shell no longer benefits from Mastery, and now properly includes the benefits of Divine Aegis and critical effect chance.
•Rapture now provides mana equal to 250% (was 200%) of the Priest's Spirit, but no longer benefits from Spirit provided by short duration bonuses.
So, here we go. This is a nerf to both the HolyDPS spec I was playing with and Disc... but not a deal breaker by any stretch. This will also have a huge affect on which trinkets we equip, and I suppose I might have to take a look at Lightweave instead of Darkweave now.. well... in 5.2.
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
Dodge, NE

cymraeg

Premium Member

that really isnt that much of a nerf to Disc Immer, SS was double dipping into Mastery, in the initial bubble and the consequent divine aegis proc so the absorbs were huge just from spamming Prayer of Healing, I'll keep my SS and PoH macroed though.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Disc: The change to SS is a huge nerf, it's just not really an unfair one. I dislike the change to glyph of HF. Now I will have to compare PW:Solace to Mindbender directly (where before I didn't need to). PW:Solace will most likely become the defacto choice for smite healers. It's a shame to lose the extra rapture benefit I got from Darkglow procs.

HolyDPS: I now prefer HolyDPS build for dailies. You want to know what is ridiculous? Opening up at 76k+ dps on trash pulls with nothing more than Divine Star and MindSear, lol. On really short fights stuff would die with my dmg done being higher than my wife's hunter (only if stampede was on CD).

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year, Priests!
Immer

Immer

Premium Member

I did an LFR as Holy DPS and fared passably well. While I was in the bottom of the dps meters (competing with a warlock and a retadin for the penultimate spot), I was also hanging with the sixth healer on healing done. So, 35k dps and 18k hps being provided by the same person is little different from a disc healer just doing his thing. However, my mana was near infinite. To make a go of actual dps I could reforge out of a great deal of SPR into HASTE to crank out some better numbers.

Ultimately, though... if you are a healer at heart, you'll find yourself bored with this about 4 minutes into every boss fight. It's a novelty... a nice diversion... and a GREAT way to knock out dailies... but rather boring in a raid. I'd rather just heal and do some dmg on the side, than vice versa... but for you shadow priests out there that want a way to contribute some healing CDs to a fight... going holy dps build might be the answer for you.

Braincramp2
join:2011-05-16
Beaverton, OR

Braincramp2

said by Immer:

but for you shadow priests out there that want a way to contribute some healing CDs to a fight... going holy dps build might be the answer for you.

I may try that one of these days but I am rather comfortable with my 55-60k DPS and 8-10k HPS as shadow

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

absolutely. SP already puts out some healing. But if the raid could use a Divine Hymn, Lightwell/Lightspring, or Guardian spirit, holy dps might prevent benching someone or calling the raid.

Braincramp2
join:2011-05-16
Beaverton, OR

Braincramp2

Noted... good thing I have a holy spec I guess

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

Re: [Classes] 5.2 PTR Healing Priest T15 Bonus

said by Mmo-Champion :
Priest (Forums / Skills / Talent Calculator)
• Item - Priest T15 Healer 2P Bonus (New) Your Prayer of Mending heals for 10% more each time it jumps to a new target.
• Item - Priest T15 Healer 4P Bonus (New) Your Penance and Circle of Healing have a 40% chance to summon a Golden Apparition, which moves to a nearby ally and heals for an additional 100,000.
• Item - Priest T15 Shadow 2P Bonus (New) When your Shadowy Apparitions damage their target, they have a 65% chance to extend the duration of your Shadow Word: Pain and Vampiric Touch, causing each to deal damage one additional time.
• Item - Priest T15 Shadow 4P Bonus (New) Periodic damage from your Vampiric Touch has a 10% chance to trigger your Shadowy Apparition.
First, I hope this means that Blizzard will finally fix the shadowy apparitions. I think they should "float" and travel straight lines to their selected targets. I'd also like to see a speed boost... not quite as fast as Divine Star, but close.

I'm excited to see how the 2P bonus will interact with the Glyph of Prayer of Mending.

4P bonus... I give it a +1 for creative bonus... -2 if it functions as poorly as a Shadowy Apparition. If they improve the ShadApp, then the GoldenApp might be okay. My concern is that it will only effectively heal ranged targets standing near the priest... but always overheal melee targets.

mettachain
Goblineer
join:2011-09-27
Azeroth

mettachain

A golden apparition? How neat is that?

Eumaeus
join:2009-12-10
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus to Immer

to Immer

Question for anyone knowledgeable about Discipline priests:

When trying to decipher some healing issues my group has had on Grand Empress, I was reviewing our Disc Priest's "Healed Who" meters. He had healed himself nearly as much as one tank and substantially more than the 2nd tank.

Tank healing is our current problem (knowing that our 3rd healer isn't performing well and needs to be replaced).

Is there a game mechanics reason that the Disc Priest's healing done to himself should be so high or is he doing something else (wrong)?

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

There are a couple of things that might be going on. It could simply be that he has a broken healing macro, so when he thinks he's healing via mouseover, he is just healing himself. (if he's healing himself more than he is healing a tank, this is probably what is happening)

What spells is he firing? He might be over-doing the Binding Heal. Is there a log we can look through?

edit: On Empress... he might have been eating that Cry of Terror debuff and standing in a dissonance field, therefore having to heal himself up a lot. I doubt this would cause the problem on its own, but it could be a contributing factor.

Eumaeus
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus

I'll have to record one tonight. Have been pretty lax about logging lately. Also stuck at work so I can't see if my Skada still has any attempts recorded.

Will keep an eye on it in our raid today though. Just wanted to see if there may be a class mechanic causing it to happen, be it proper or not. Too much binding heal could be a plausible explanation.

Thanks for the feedback! I'll bring more info or any results tomorrow. Grand Empress was wrecking me and the other tank due to this and a poorly performing shaman. Our mistweaver monk was kicking ass at least, haha!

Carpie
join:2012-10-19
united state

Carpie

I heal Disc atonement style and while I've never actually looked at the numbers in this way, I'm not OVERLY surprised (though still think something is amiss for it to be THAT close). A couple of things to remember with atonement style healing:

1) My first step: Bubble the tank. Bubble equals dmg prevention which means I don't have to heal him.

2) My second step: Atone heal. Spam Holy Fire, penance, and smite as much as possible and this heals everyone in proximity (though the heals for me (the atoning priest) are cut by 50%)

3) During a large dmg spike when I see the tank get below 75%, generally I just bubble him and start atoning again and it gets him back up there and it's business as usual. In the times that everyone needs a lift, I'll Prayer of Mending (maybe it's PoHealing, my memory of spell names isn't that great) which heals all the group and ends with a bubble for everyone.

4) And then yes, there are many times where I need to heal myself quick for self preservation so I'll ctrl + penance or ctrl + Greater Heal for the self heals. I would think it is fair to say I do the self GHs/Penance as much as a tank GH/Penance since I don't need to do them that often.

Having said all that though, I still think the healing to the tank would be considerably greater than to the Priest since they are taking the most dmg. Exceptions may also be on how well the tank is self healing.
Carpie

Carpie

Oh yeah and some halos once in awhile too. They just look too cool to bench. Love them on the Sha fight (though have to keep Fade close at hand afterwards).

Adalicia
Om Nom Nom
join:2009-10-13
Lincoln, NE

Adalicia to Carpie

to Carpie
PoH is what you were thinking of. You should have PoM going on CD regardless...

PoM is arguably one of the best healing spells in the game.

Eumaeus
Seattle, WA

Eumaeus to Immer

to Immer
Thanks for the thoughts Carpie but I don't believe those reasons are playing in to our situation.

When looking at damage taken on these attempts our disc was one of the lowest, so I don't believe he had much cause to direct heal himself.

He was not atonement healing at this point and would not have been in range to receive atonement healing if he had.

I believe meters these days record bubbles as healing done. Are there abilities that are not reflected in current meters?

PoH and Halo would certainly increase the priests healing done to all targets, but not to the point of nearly catching up to the MT and being upwards of 40% above the second tank. AoE healing also wouldn't put himself especially higher than other recipients of the AoE heals.

Hoping to log his actions more tonight for a better review. Meters have always been deceptive for healers, but when tanks are dying and a healer is above them on the 'healing done to' meter despite being lowest in damage received its... unfortunate.