nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

1 recommendation

nonymous (banned) to XBL2009

to XBL2009

Re: GFI outlet/refrigerator question

said by XBL2009:

I feel so bad reading this thread, my old house had no GFCI's and the fuse box was actually a fuse box.

New house only has GFCI's in the bathrooms.

Plus the 20 year old failing refrigerator just kept on working and no one died.

In this thread I have seen motors can cause false GFCI trips. Then read junk the refrigerator because it is unsafe and failing because it is tripping the GFCI. I do not remember any refrigerator deaths from my childhood before GFCI from electric. Probably happened somewhere but with all the old fridges that used to last forever if it was a high risk I should have had at least one death somewhere local to me.
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

1 edit

AVonGauss

Premium Member

That's like saying we don't need no stinkin' GFCI outlets because in my life I've never seen a GFCI outlet trip. The other theme you missed from your post is people recommended, having the refrigerator looked at and fixed or cleaned as appropriate. I believe at least one person also posted instructions for how to diagnose the issue directly.
nonymous (banned)
join:2003-09-08
Glendale, AZ

nonymous (banned)

Seriously I have read more place than one not to plug a refrigerator or freezer into a GFCI so a nuisance trip will not spoil the food. Thing is besides the GFCI tripping there most likely would be no other symptoms of anything going bad. Plus they call it a nuisance trip. Some major retail sites plus some appliance sites say no GFCI.
So I guess those sites should be sued for putting the value of a fridge full of food before human life. Like said besides GFCI tripping may have no other user noticeable symptoms so how would the user know to junk the fridge or replace the motor etc.
Now when I got a freezer I was wondering if I should use a GFCI outlet. During that reading a few years ago I read of freezers that were brand new tripping the GFCI and the factory authorized repair person just said no GFCI. I do use GFCI as on a breaker with other stuff on it and no issues, But some models of fridges and freezers even new just trip the GFCI occasionally and the manufacturer basically say it is normal. Or so I read a couple year back.