J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
reply to ZZZZZZZ

Re: Canadians take Northwest League title

SportsNet lost power to their announcers. So we're getting the Seattle feed. Interesting listening to their perspective.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Yikes...

quote:

Blue Jays’ Yunel Escobar played game with homophobic slur written across eyeblack

Blue Jays’ shortstop Yunel Escobar could face disciplinary action after photographs surfaced showing the 29-year-old Cuban on the field at Rogers Centre with a homophobic slur written under his eyes.

Escobar, who has been with the Jays since 2010, played Saturday’s game against the Boston Red Sox with the Spanish words “TU ERE MARICON” written on an eyeblack sticker, a black patch baseball players wear under their eyes to reduce the sun’s glare.

The phrase’s most common English translation is “You are a faggot.” Other translations are less explicitly homophobic, but more of an emasculating insult.

A league spokesman told the Star via email they are “looking into the matter.”

»www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/···ye-black

--
GO BLUE JAYS!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

1 edit
I was wondering what Escobar meant by putting that on his face. The translation isn't 100% clear, at least on the meaning and intent. It has several meanings: You're calling someone a faggot, it can also mean jerk or *sshole. It can also question a guys 'manhood', sort of the way Arnold Schwarzenegger calls weak men "girly man".

Escobar is an idiot for getting himself into the spotlight this way. However, it goes to show just how far our political correctness has gone. This picture apparently was taken by a season ticket holder who posted it on his site. At some point, he noticed the wording and looked it up and "just had to say something". No one else noticed it. But now it has made international news. Some people need to learn to STFU.

Of course, I don't condone Yunel's actions. And it's a good thing the organization is distancing themselves from his stupidity.

For the edit: When I was in school (and it wasn't that long ago..although 20 years +) calling someone a "fag" didn't always mean something homophobic. It was always in the context. You messed up, "You're such a fag!" You ratted on a student "Faggot!". It wasn't until maybe grade 8 or so that it started to become homophobic slang.

Since Escobar is Cuban I'm trying to find how that worded is used in context in that country. It does refer to a 'gay' person but in a non-derogatory way. (so as far as I read)

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by J E F F:

Escobar is an idiot for getting himself into the spotlight this way. However, it goes to show just how far our political correctness has gone.

I agree on that front... I listened a little to the Fan590 this morning, and they had several people connected with various gay/lesbian organizations and they were calling for this guy's head...

I don't agree with what he did, we don't know why he did it, perhaps it will be explained at the press conference later...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Not sure if you listened to the press conference, but the Blue Jays should have decided punishment AFTER the press conference rather than before. This press conference was an embarrassment to the organization and Rogers. A complete PR disaster. Alex tried to smooth things over but it is clear that Escobar should be given his walking papers. Just release him. During the conference I was thinking "It is me, or is he just digging himself a massive hole"...it was cut short because the Fan590 had to put on Vacation Bob, but he got right into this whole Escobar thing. He was totally shocked with the way Yunel handled himself. Certainly didn't help that Escobar refused to answer anything in english but rather hid behind his native language. It got worse when he wouldn't/couldn't explain why he did it, then went out to say "I have gay friends".

It was a "wow" moment. Most....I mean all...of the callers that called in were disgusted with the whole thing and swore up and down never to go to a Jays game again. (well, unless they are contenders) I won't go to that extreme, but I sure do hope the Jays consider moving him elsewhere in the offseason.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
Yeah wow, that presser was an absolute disaster... Bob managed to get a hold of AA near the end of the show, but he kept avoiding direct answers and tried to make a positive spin on how this is a good step forward for gay/lesbian awareness in sports...

Eventually his cellphone died (or he pulled out the battery out of his crackberry), without anything answered...

I agree 100% with Bob that he should have been released immediately...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

grrr
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Scarborough, ON
Zaunie wasn't mincing words today on the FAN when talking about Escobar. Calling him a showboat and a pouter, which is spot on.
Escobar has become an embarrassment to the team and our city.

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON
Ship him back to Atlanta!

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to grrr
said by grrr:

Zaunie wasn't mincing words today on the FAN when talking about Escobar. Calling him a showboat and a pouter, which is spot on.
Escobar has become an embarrassment to the team and our city.

Yup thats what I like about Zaun, he calls it as he sees it.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to grrr
I was amazed at the different takes on this between Omar and Carlos. Omar basically saying "I don't understand what's going on?!" and Carlos was more like "30 games would have been more like it"
--

grrr
Premium
join:2001-06-16
Scarborough, ON
said by J E F F:

I was amazed at the different takes on this between Omar and Carlos. Omar basically saying "I don't understand what's going on?!" and Carlos was more like "30 games would have been more like it"

I didn't see either of them speak. I was listening to the live press conference on the FAN and then turned on Prime Time Sports on TV.

I haven't seen McCown or Brunt that annoyed in awhile. I mean, how else are you going to take a deliberate insulting message on the eye black, of all places. I think Escobar is poison to the team. He runs across the field and jumps in front of his team mates to steal some pop flies and then he'll barely run out a in field hit. Pfft... "I didn't think that anyone would be insulted.", or something stupid like that... or I have friends that are gay, or the guy that cuts my hair is gay and other gems like that.

I am no fan of Yunel Escobar. We could do without him. Adeiny Hechavarria is far better fielder and his batting will improve with time.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by grrr:

I think Escobar is poison to the team. He runs across the field and jumps in front of his team mates to steal some pop flies and then he'll barely run out a in field hit.

Yeah, I noticed that on quite a few occasions... I think I even saw him basically run in front of Kelly Johnson who had maybe two or three steps to take to catch the ball, and the expression on Kelly's face was similar to a "WTF".

When he first came over, he was such an upgrade at SS that people looked over what was said about him in Atlanta. But after a couple years I guess of being comfortable here, the bad attitude started coming out again, Im not sure if the Jays extended his contract or not.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to grrr
said by grrr:

I think Escobar is poison to the team. He runs across the field and jumps in front of his team mates to steal some pop flies and then he'll barely run out a in field hit.

Yeah, I think Johnson and Omar (whenever he gets his chance to play) look like they were quite upset when Escobar steals their plays.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to HiVolt

Season Over

Well, the nightmare season of injuries and poor individual performances is over.

Finished with a 3 game sweep of the Minnesota Twins, avoid a 90 loss season with a 73-89, for a 4th place finish in the AL east yet again, with Boston being 4 games behind the Jays.

Disappointments? Romero, Alvarez, Rasmus, Johnson, Escobar...

Surprises? Encarnacion, Janssen, Hechavvaria, Gose (those two in limited time but still look like they'll be on the team next year).

What are your thoughts?
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
said by HiVolt:

Disappointments? Romero, Alvarez, Rasmus, Johnson, Escobar...

Surprises? Encarnacion, Janssen, Hechavvaria, Gose (those two in limited time but still look like they'll be on the team next year).

What are your thoughts?

Surprised how well Darren Oliver did.

Alvarez I wasn't surprised, he should have had another year in triple A. Rasmus hopefully will come around if he is groin injury free.

Johnson and Escobar shouldn't return. Unlikely that Johnson will be back in Toronto.

Romero...unbelievably weak. He's a mentally fragile pitcher, so unless he lifts his leg and mans up a bit, I don't see any success with this guy. Freaking loser blocked me from his twitter because I said he should take a break. Claims he is 'tough' and we all know nothing. Tough guys don't block Ricky...especially for "G" rated comments. I can imagine when he pitches and the first groan he hears when he tosses a meatball totally rips him apart inside and he melts down on the mound. Toughen up, Ricky, toughen up. Your life is blessed, don't act like a whiney pansy.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Ah well, if he didnt want to manage here, fuck him... Hope he fails in Boston, much like he did here...

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
said by HiVolt:

Ah well, if he didnt want to manage here, fuck him... Hope he fails in Boston, much like he did here...

+1. Getting Aviles is icing on the cake I guess...better to get something than nothing...Boston still has a lot of work ahead of them anyways....so go ahead and have him...I just hope we get a better manager because I felt like he wasn't doing the job here.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
I just hope they can land someone with some experience... I don't want yet another rookie manager...

I mean, who the hell have they gotten with any experience in the past 15 years???

I think only one was Jim Fregosi who had experience, but they only had him for a year if I remember correctly... They had rookies in Tim Johnson, Buck Martinez, Carlos Tosca, John Gibbons, and John Farrell... Well and Cito when he came back for a year and a half or so, but it was clear he wasnt sticking around for long...
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Johnson actually did an okay job, told the guys that sacrifices always needed to be made, much like what he did in Vietnam. (Problem is, he was never there...)

Weird fact: Johnson played for the Jays in the late 70's...he never had a HR in 1200+ AB during his entire career.
--

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
So apparently a huge trade is brewing between the Jays & Marlins... details to follow... Names rumored so far...

To Jays

Jose Reyes, Mark Buherle, John Johnson, Emilio Bonifacio and John Buck

To Marlins

Escobar, Hecchavaria, Alvarez, + some minor leaguer
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
Getting rid of Hecch, eh? Looks like a good trade though.

»sports.nationalpost.com/2012/11/···reports/

If Romero can pitch half decent, the Jays will end up with 4 quality starters, and if they use Happ, #5 will be strong to.

Reyes is a huge improvement over Escobar, although very expensive.
--

Clipper

join:2002-05-23
Stoney Creek, ON
This is a franchise altering deal. Just ask Vegas: Jays odds before the trade of winning the series next year? 100:1. Today, after the trade? 15:1.

This is now a lineup you can go into next season and be comfortable with. There is really only 2 holes: LF and 2nd.

LF you could go with a Rajai Davis/Emilio Bonifacio and it wouldn't be awful. In fact, it would be fast as hell. Davis we all know is a speed demon, well Bonifacio is no slouch himself. He only played 64 games last year, and stole 30 bases while only getting caught 3 times.

2nd is more of a concern... Maizer Isturis can play second, but he's not a standout... Bonifacio can play it too... so you may end up with a serviceable platoon.

The rest of the lineup? It's locked... 1B, EE. 3B, Lawrie. LF Joeybats. CF, Rasmus. Catcher you have 3 Major league ready catchers who can do the job, JPA, John Buck and Bobby Wilson. With D'arnaud on his way up and needing a full year at AAA, I can see JPA being traded for another piece and going with former Jay and All star Buck (who admittedly had a terrible year last year), with Wilson backing up.

This bumps Ricky to probably a #4 starter, and that's awesome. Buerhle, Morrow, Johnson, Romero, Happ... Not too shabby.

This is an amazing deal and while they gave up a lot in numbers, it's not brutal. Mathis was a spare part; Escobar was done after that eye black incident, and to be honest, I was starting to see what Braves knew about him: Great talent, missing work ethic; I'll miss Hechavarria's glove, but his bat may be just average at this level; Alvarez could be a very good pitcher, but he needs to learn to throw a breaking ball; Marisnick was behind Rasmus and Gose in the depth chart; Nicolina could be a very good pitcher, and so could DeScalfini, but they are still years away so who knows what will happen.

This is good news for Jays fans, and it finally proves what we've all been waiting for: Toronto has spent money on payroll. They've been saying for years that the money is there if the time is right. I'm glad they finally came through.

HiVolt
Premium
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
said by Clipper:

This is good news for Jays fans, and it finally proves what we've all been waiting for: Toronto has spent money on payroll. They've been saying for years that the money is there if the time is right. I'm glad they finally came through.

Yeah, but we were at 120-130M before with JP Ricciardi's team... Didnt work out...

But definitely it changes the team's outlook, and perhaps it will attract more players here. Because the past few years it was a joke with the free agent signings...
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Clipper
said by Clipper:

Good news for fans indeed. Looks like my push this year worked. The Jays did a great job marketing the team and had a large attendance increase despite poor finish. They were up especially the first 4 months before things went to pot.

Rogers said if the fans came out, they'd spend. For once, Rogers has kept a promise.

Guess if you can't do anything else right, might as well as try to get the team rolling. They understand that it will be a major cash cow if the teams does well. Canada's Team.

BTW: Looks like Jeff Loria moved his team back to Canada...
--