uniqs

Quinte
join:2001-07-21
Kitchener, ON

Quinte

[DSL] Slow DSL Internet Speeds in Kitchener in Evenings

DSL Profile/Stats

Speed Test

Anybody else noticing very poor speeds after 6pm in the South-East Kitchener ON area with TekSavvy DSL Service. I have their 15/1 Mb/Sec service and for the last couple of weeks the download speeds have been under 3 Mb/Sec. I have rebooted my DSL modem multiple times and my DSL profile looks good but speed tests look horrendous.

Any ideas before I open a ticket with TekSavvy support?

Thanks.

hitek
join:2001-02-25
Kitchener, ON

hitek

I'm in Kitchener near homer-watson and bleams and haven't noticed any loss in speed in the evenings.

I hit 1.7 to 2.0MB/s with usenet day or night, it's been extremely consistent and stable since I upgraded.
I'm also grandfathered on 16/1 with the 19/1 profile.

I noticed you don't have fastpath enabled on your connection, are you connected to the CO?

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte

I am connected to a remote that is about 100 yards away from my house. (Not a CO). I was moved off the CO to the new remote when I upgraded my service back in May. Fastpath always appears as disabled on this particular remote. Performance has been good up until about 2 weeks ago. I don't see any problem with the stats so I am assuming there is some kind of network congestion going on in my area or with TekSavvy.

Thanks for your reply.

JenSuisUn
Premium Member
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON

1 edit

JenSuisUn to Quinte

Premium Member

to Quinte
If I could refer you to this post as this may enlighten you.

Regards,
Martin

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte

When I try and access the post you recommended, I received this message:

You cannot read topics created by other members in this forum
Quinte

Quinte

I moved my post to the TekSavvy Direct form as I seem to be the only one with this problem in my area. Hopefully someone in TekSavvy support can uncover the problem. Thanks to those that replied.
Bravado
join:2012-09-14
Kitchener, ON

Bravado to Quinte

to Quinte

19:21, Sept 14 2012
Hey Quinte, I've noticed an immense slowdown in my area as well (Homer Watson and Pioneer). I'm on the 12/1 setup and my max is generally in the area of 6/.5 most days. I used to be almost max speed (I suspect the CO is close) but I don't know what's changed recently.

Youtube performance is especially bad, maxing out at maybe 100KB/s if I am lucky. I can almost understand this at 6PM but it continues into the crazy hours of night.
aks_canada
join:2004-11-20
Oakville, ON

aks_canada to Quinte

to Quinte
Add me to the slowdown list.
Oakville here.
I usually get 10 or 11 down.

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte to Bravado

to Bravado
Well, I guess I am not alone after all. I have opened an issue with TekSavvy and they asked me to run through a gauntlet of tests which I have done. Ultimately, it sounds like a ticket might have to be opened with Bell as everything appears ok in my end and TekSavvy says everything looks ok on their end. And yet, the slowdown continues... I am getting similar speed results to yours. I am in the Chicoppee area so I am pretty sure you and I are not on the same CO or remote. It is really odd as I had great speeds prior to the beginning of September and I have changed nothing in my set-up here.

Let's hope that TekSavvy and/or Bell get to the bottom of the issue.
Quinte

Quinte to aks_canada

to aks_canada

Line Stats

Current Speed

Let's hope this slowdown is not a trend. At first I just thought it was network congestion at certain times but now I am finding the speed at 5 or 6am in the morniing is bad too. Ping times are good like yours but download speeds suck.

I am waiting to hear back from TekSavvy on the next steps as I have provided the test information they requested.

By the way, Teksavvy indicated that they can see nothing wrong at their end and they admit my line stats are good so I wonder what is up. Tonight I am getting about 4 Mb/Sec down which is better than some nights.
XYF2
Premium Member
join:2006-07-01
Kitchener, ON

XYF2 to Quinte

Premium Member

to Quinte
Click for full size
It's been somewhat slow for me the last few days, but today is really bad.
I'm in the south-east end of Kitchener, Weber/King area.

Is it strange that my upload is faster than download?
hyperi0n
join:2002-11-15
Kitchener, ON

hyperi0n to Quinte

to Quinte
Also in Kitchener and my speeds have been horrible lately. Can't even watch YouTube without constant buffering. What gives?

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte

Really Slow on Sunday night after 6pm
Very slow again tonight in Kitchener. It really seems to go downhill after 5pm...

xsbell
join:2008-12-22
Canada

xsbell to Quinte

to Quinte
said by Quinte:

I am in the Chicoppee area so I am pretty sure you and I are not on the same CO or remote. It is really odd as I had great speeds prior to the beginning of September and I have changed nothing in my set-up here.

Let's hope that TekSavvy and/or Bell get to the bottom of the issue.

It might not be the same remote, but it might be the same BAS.

I had problems about a year ago on bas8-kitchener6, and I know a couple others were congested too.

Do you guys try reconnecting again to hopefully land on a less saturated AGAS link, or that doesn't help at all?
Gogo_ZvC
join:2012-09-16
Kitchener, ON

Gogo_ZvC to Quinte

to Quinte

Speedtest

This is what I am getting tonight and it has been trending like this pretty much every single night since I've gotten Teksavvy in June-ish. I have the 15Mb/sec DSL package as well. I have no idea what the issue is, it works okay (as in like 3-6Mb/sec) and then slows down to the point where I have to restart the modem. I reset it twice to four times daily between 5pm - 1am, I can't account for times before then because I'm at work. The modem (Speedtouch ST546 4-port) also likes to increase in temperatures that rival the core of the sun.

Any tips, tests I could run?
XYF2
Premium Member
join:2006-07-01
Kitchener, ON

XYF2 to xsbell

Premium Member

to xsbell
Click for full size
I don't leave the computer or modem running when nobody's using it, so it gets reconnected several times a day. According to the speed test history, I was on 4 different IPs.

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte to xsbell

to xsbell
I am on bas1-kitchener08. I have tried reconnecting multiple times and it makes no difference. I have an open ticket with TekSavvy but it really looks like that are going to have to open a ticket with Bell. I am obtaining another DSL modem to test on Tuesday just to rule that out as being the issue. However, I really believe this is a time of day network congestion issue based on my testing. Serious degradation in downstream speed occurs after 5-6pm. My 15 Mb/Sec service degrades to somewhere between 2 Mb/Sec - 5 Mb/Sec in the evenings.
Quinte

Quinte to Gogo_ZvC

to Gogo_ZvC
Wow, that is really slow. Have you tried checking your line stats using a utility like DMT or OrbMT? My stats checked out as excellent so my line condition does not appear to be the issue. You might want to check your stats or ask TekSavvy to check them for you just to rule out your line conditions as being the issue.
spacey0
join:2008-04-02
Montreal, QC

spacey0

Something is going on with the internet in Montreal as well. When I do a speedtest around 5pm, I get 25mbit down and 6mbit up on my 25/10 service which is normal. Around 8pm, speedtest gives me around 2-4mbit down...

Any idea whats going on? I know I'm not the only TekSavvy DSL customer in Montreal this is happening to.

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte

This is purely conjecture but I am suspicious that with all of these higher speed profiles (15 Mb/25 Mb) being activated (and being utilized) that the there is severe network congestion during peak periods (after 5pm) in some areas. Lots of people streaming video, downloads, etc. I just found out that a friend of mine who is on Bell's 15 Mb/Sec service (about 100 yards from me) is experiencing the same types of slowdowns after 5pm.
spacey0
join:2008-04-02
Montreal, QC

spacey0

Yeah, its possible When I tried at 5pm, I was getting perfect 25/10 speeds but then now its almost 9pm and this is what I get:

This is in Montreal. My upload speed is basically its max but the download is about 10x slower.
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

1 edit

LondonOntGuy to Quinte

to Quinte
I've been getting ridiculously slow speeds as of late as well. It's so slow, that I can't even watch a simple video online without it buffering every 30 seconds. It's not the site because it happens with both Youtube and CTV.

I've got it the worst it seems. Very high ping and 1998-esque download speeds.

I think Bell is screwing with Teksavvy again. What else could it be?

Edit: And here's what I'm getting from the wifi I'm stealing from a neighbour.

Quinte
Kitchener, ON

Quinte to spacey0

to spacey0
Yes, it is very similar to my experience. Like you say, upload speeds are fine but download speed really sucks after 5pm.
Quinte

Quinte to LondonOntGuy

to LondonOntGuy

Latest Speedtest @ 9:48pm
Yikes! 323ms Ping? (Not to mention the slow download and upload speeds).

There is no doubt something fishy is going on as this is obviously not an isolated problem and it occurs in a number of different cities. The fact that a friend of mine who is on Bell DSL has the same issue (about 100 yards away) makes me wonder if this is some Bell infrastructure problem. Anyway, I hope they figure it out soon.

I have attached my latest speed test and although better than yours is nothing to write home about.
LondonOntGuy
London, ON

LondonOntGuy

I just powered off my modem (TP Link 8816) and restarted it. Before I had a 69.xxx.xxx.xxx IP, now it's a 206.xxx.xxx.xxx one.

Here's the speedtest results now.

hexa
@teksavvy.com

hexa

Anon

I seem to have the problem too in Montreal 22h ... hard to tell yet if the time is making a difference will test tomorow but usually I get 25mbits no problem...

LondonOntGuy
London, ON

LondonOntGuy

said by hexa :

[att=1]

"Faster than 70% of Canada".

That's just sad.
GreenLantern4
join:2009-05-09
Waterloo, ON

GreenLantern4 to Quinte

to Quinte
Im having the same issues wtf is going on with this? I pay for mlppp with two modems and two lines and this is the speeds im getting?

As the evening goes by it will get faster like seriously I can't even use youtube.

damir52
SFRJ
Premium Member
join:2003-05-24

damir52

Premium Member

I am in Kitchener downtown on Fibernetics, in past 5-7 days i am noticing some slowdowns as well, for about 1 hour, mostly from 7 pm to like 8 pm, and then it goes away.
GreenLantern4
join:2009-05-09
Waterloo, ON

1 recommendation

GreenLantern4

well well well 1 am is there an guess whats back? my internet speed

honestly if you think this issue is a few people you are wrong the problem is most users don't test line speeds or pay attention its amazing teksavvy has gone totally down the toilet.