join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
reply to Dude111

Re:  

said by Dude111:

Its all pretty interesting Norm!!!!

How would 98,XP respond if they didnt have a reg?? (If every file had its settings LOCALLY in its folder)

Then you would have what happened with Win 3.1 and Win95. Programs could take full control of the machine and run amok even screwing with other programs. Not only that, even lazy developers could sell ya broken software that you would have to fix yourself. Remember the days of just clicking the mouse or a simple keystroke could crash the system?

Win95 was mostly a GUI upgrade and an introduction to the registry. Win98 was the underlying improvements and finally force developers into doing things right.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2
How about good old Windows 2000?

sivran
Seamonkey's back
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
kudos:1
reply to Cthen
And yet, keeping your settings with your program is making a comeback so to speak--in the form of "portable" software.

Most of my daily-use apps are portable. Portable versions of Opera, Firefox, Q-Dir, Thunderbird... I can reinstall my OS or stuff 'em all on a flash drive and pick right back up where I left off.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

Cthen

join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI
Reviews:
·Verizon Wireless..
said by sivran:

And yet, keeping your settings with your program is making a comeback so to speak--in the form of "portable" software.

Most of my daily-use apps are portable. Portable versions of Opera, Firefox, Q-Dir, Thunderbird... I can reinstall my OS or stuff 'em all on a flash drive and pick right back up where I left off.

Yes but now, it still has to go through the OS for what it can't do. It can't just hijack the whole machine without an exploit of some sort.
--
"I like to refer to myself as an Adult Film Efficienato." - Stuart Bondek