share rss forum feed

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to dsldan

Re: [OOL] Is this how OOL does wireless????

I think this was a simple error that took place during the ordering process, where whoever ordered the private service for the location was asked if they were interested in providing free Wi-Fi to their customers inside the premises, the person ordering did not realize that meant a separate Opt WiFi AP being installed inside the premises, and the order was placed.

Most businesses would consider this an asset and worth the electricity.. First, their business name appears on the map of business WiFi spots -- driving in potential revenue.. Free exposure.. BUT - whoever ordered the service to begin with must have misunderstood.

As others said - call up, have them remove it if its not wanted.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to dsldan
A simple misunderstanding with a simple solution.

No need for a federal investigation to assign blame to CV or the customer - just fix it.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to blohner
said by blohner:

A friend of mine (business customer) was asked if he would like a WiFi Hotspot while ordering his service... He agreed and about 2 month after he got BOOL he got the hotspot installed...

No to revive an old thread, but this is exactly what happened to me yesterday. I ordered OOL for my company to provide wifi for guests and employees (separate from the corporate LAN). The rep simply asked me if I wanted them to install "free wifi." Only after I asked a few questions was it made clear that they were talking about an Optimum hotspot.

I said it was fine, and I'll make sure they place their AP a sufficient distance from my infrastructure. If I find that it causes issues, I'll have it removed. We'll see how it goes...

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
My reading of the TOS is that you can't allow your guests to use your OOL. But IANAL.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

said by Bob4:

My reading of the TOS is that you can't allow your guests to use your OOL. But IANAL.

Are you sure? I know that I can't give my OOL ID to someone else so that they can use an Optimum hotspot. I also can't charge people (or resell OOL services) to grant Internet access through my or any access point. But I believe that it's OK to provide free wifi as an amenity to my employees and guests as long as I accept responsibility for what goes on over the connection.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Employees would be OK, but I don't know about guests. You tell me. IANAL, but letting your guests use it sounds like sharing and/or distributing it to a third party to me. Did you ask Cablevision if that's OK?
said by BOOL TOS :
Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision.
Now excuse me while I tell someone an account of a major league baseball game and rip the tag off my mattress.

RickNY
Premium
join:2000-11-02
Farmingville, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 edit
said by Bob4:

Employees would be OK, but I don't know about guests. You tell me. IANAL, but letting your guests use it sounds like sharing and/or distributing it to a third party to me. Did you ask Cablevision if that's OK?

said by BOOL TOS :
Users may not resell, share, or otherwise distribute the Service or any portion thereof to any third party without the written consent of Cablevision.

You do realize that for Optimum WiFi installed in businesses, the USER is not distributing the service, but Cablevision is installing their own separate equipment to distribute it themselves, right?
»www.freeindoorwifi.com/images/pd···te_1.pdf

»www.optimum.net/MyServices/WiFi/indoor

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Yeah, but we're talking about the user installing a WiFi router on his BOOL service for use by his customers, not Optimum WiFi.

anon123

@optonline.net
reply to Bob4
Are you really complaining about a free wifi hotspot? It has nothing to do with your service. It's not going to hog your bandwidth. If your really that unhappy with something thats free that you shouldnt worry about or touch with your own hands then call cv and tell them that you don't want your free wifi hotspot.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Sheesh. I'm not the one complaining.
Expand your moderator at work

jaa
Premium
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to Bob4

Re: [OOL] Is this how OOL does wireless????

said by Bob4:

No problem sharing your OOL connection through wifi. Just can't resell it.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
said by jaa:

No problem sharing your OOL connection through wifi. Just can't resell it.

Then why does the BOOL TOS say it can't be shared?
said by BOOL TOS :

jaa
Premium

2 edits
Not doing any of that. Just providing guest access.

Just like when driving 6mph in a 5mph zone, you are not breaking the law.

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

reply to dsldan
When they say "share" maybe they're talking about sharing on a permanent basis with my neighbor, etc.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
If optimum WiFi is a marketing tool designed to entice people to switch to Cablevision, CV may not like business customers circumventing CV's efforts by making their regular BOOL connection available to non-employees / non CV customers.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to dsldan
So what happened? Did you call up and have them remove the equipment?