join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

whizkid3 to jabarnut

MVM

to jabarnut

Re: [NFL] Week 1 Games Discussion

said by jabarnut:

stuff like "The NY Football Giants"

Which to my knowledge is the actual name of the team and predates Cosell.

I remember Cosell very clearly. In fact I remember how my friends and I grew to hate the voice of Cosell. Cosell would start a broadcast clearly favoring one team and if during the game that his favored team were losing; by the end of the game he would be telling you how he told his viewers 'all along' how he knew the other team was better and would win the game. Eventually, and especially for MNF, we would turn the sound off and use the radio for audio instead. I don't see any correlation between Berman what-so-ever.

rockotman
...Blown On The Steel Breeze
Premium Member
join:2000-08-06
DSotM

rockotman

Premium Member

said by whizkid3:

said by jabarnut:

stuff like "The NY Football Giants"

Which to my knowledge is the actual name of the team and predates Cosell.

So as not to be confused with what used to be called the New York Giants baseball team, now in SF.

With respect to Cosell, I found his voice quite irritating, but also quite captivating. Sort of like having to watch a train-wreck all the way through.

Hear-tell he liked his spirits during the game, and many times by the end of game would sound as coherent as Joe Namath wanting to kiss Suzy Kolbert (sp?).

shaner
Premium Member
join:2000-10-04
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

shaner

Premium Member

I honestly could never understand the appeal of Cosell...his voice was just so ... nasaly.

I also didn't really enjoy Myron Cope for the same reason either, but at least he was upbeat and positive and had fun with the game. Cosell tried to sound like he knew more than EVERYBODY around him and sounded like there was always somewhere else he'd rather be, mostly likely with a hooker on his lap.

Again, Berman doing play by play was refreshing and he really did remind me of the late, great Keith Jackson....fumblin', bumblin' stumblin' across the goal line.

jabarnut
Light Years Away
Premium Member
join:2005-01-22
Galaxy M31

1 edit

jabarnut to whizkid3

Premium Member

to whizkid3
I realize Cosell didn't come up with the term "The NY Football Giants" itself, but Berman will often say it the same way Cosell once said it...(changing his voice trying to sound like him).
Same with the "He could...go...all...the...way!" thing:
quote:
He is well known for his various catch-phrases and player nicknames. His rendition of "He could...go...all...the...way!" is adopted from Howard Cosell,
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· s_Berman

All I'm saying is I've heard Berman himself say he idolized Cosell as a sportscaster (in certain interviews on TV as well as in magazines), and I personally often hear him say certain things (for example during Sunday NFL Countdown), where he's obviously (to me at least), trying to sound a little like Cosell did back in the day.