Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

brianiscool

join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL
kudos:1

Installer did not ground my FIOS.

When I lived at my old apartment the last technician said it had to grounded. The new technician that came to do my install did not ground my connection is this dangerous?

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
join:2006-03-29
Northport, NY
kudos:3

How do you know he did not ground it? Is your ont inside or out? Do you see a grey or green wire connected to it? A picture would help.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brianiscool

You might want to stick this in the Verizon forum. Anyway, Verizon has been pretty clear that they have to be grounded and do. If you are positive there is no ground I would call up to get it taken care of.

Mine is bonded directly to the ground from the panel to the ground rod.

brianiscool

Tampa, FL
reply to PoloDude

The ONT is inside my closet apartment. It is that big white box, correct? The tech stated to me it did not need to be grounded.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY

No. EVERY ONT must be grounded. It is not an option. It must be done.

brianiscool

Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brianiscool

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Fire Hazard no Ground?

buckingham
Buckingham Pa
Premium
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

That's the same ONT, I believe, that is down in my basement...without going down there to look at is. Mine is grounded. As yours should be.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
reply to brianiscool

That ONT is not properly powered nor grounded. It looks like the AC outlet has an adapter where the ONT's power cord is plugged into. Very sloppy work by the install technician. You need to call up, and demand a tech return to fix the issue.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
join:2000-03-26
Mount Vernon, NY

Does that ONT have an internal ground? I didn't see too many of them so I can't remember. If it does and the OP isn't in NY then he may be OK.

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

It looks like the AC outlet has an adapter where the ONT's power cord is plugged into.

The adapter in the top socket is a charger or power supply for some other device. The loose end of the charger cord is lying on the floor. The ONT is plugged into the bottom socket, under the charger. I don't think there's anything wrong with that.

Bob99

join:2001-12-07
Teaneck, NJ
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder

said by Pathfinder:

Does that ONT have an internal ground?

The ONT looks just like mine, which is an Alcatel-Lucent model I-211M-H. It does not have an internal ground. Mine has a green ground wire running to a ground rod.

brianiscool

Tampa, FL
reply to Bob99

The top connector is my phone connector. I live in Tampa, Fl.

ground

join:2008-01-16
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 edit
reply to brianiscool

The top socket is occupied by a charger for Nokia phones.
I may be totally wrong, but it looks like the ONT is plugged in to the grounded 3-prong outlet, therefore the device is grounded.
EDIT: It is NOT grounded properly, read below for details.

brianiscool

Tampa, FL

ok thanks for letting me know ground.

PoloDude
Premium,VIP
Northport, NY
reply to ground

said by ground:

I may be totally wrong, but it looks like the ONT is plugged in to the grounded 3-prong outlet, therefore the device is grounded.

As I and Dave Said,That ONT is NOT grounded properly. There must be a separate ground that grounds the coax. A coax ground block is used,then the ONT is plugged into a special outlet grounding module.
The job was not done correctly. A tech MUST come out and fix it.
--
“My horse fights with me and fasts with me because if he is to carry me into battle, he must know my heart and I must know his or we shall never become brothers.
-Plenty Coups, Chief of the Crow”

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by PoloDude:

said by ground:

As I and Dave Said,That ONT is NOT grounded properly. There must be a separate ground that grounds the coax. A coax ground block is used,then the ONT is plugged into a special outlet grounding module.

That rule ONLY applies to New York State.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
reply to brianiscool

I have the same ONT, the grounding is from the plugs third pin and is perfectly safe and correct for Florida.

Not sure why Dave thinks its wrong, that's an indoor ONT, and all the COAX is internal to the apartment

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Pathfinder

said by Pathfinder:

said by PoloDude:

said by ground:

That rule ONLY applies to New York State.

The SFU grounding rules are now a national requirement, based on the NY State rules, i.e. they are more stringent to meet the new NEC code changes.

brianiscool

Tampa, FL
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brianiscool

You(13:38:15): When they did the install at my location. They usually ground the wires. The technician stated to me it wasn't really necessary. Can that cause a fire?
Radnor(13:39:59): I apologize for the delay in reply.
Radnor(13:40:50): Please do not worry, if the wires are not grounded, it is not dangerous.

dosdoxies
Premium
join:2004-12-15
Wallingford, PA
reply to brianiscool

Same ONT here in SE PA. No ground other than the power cord.
--
The more people I meet, the better I like my dogs.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

Your Coax could already be grounded. The ground for your coax could be found at the first splitter and it would run from the splitter to the house/complex ground or on a separate wire to external ground.

The interior ONT itself should also have a separate ground to the house/complex ground if its connected correctly. Exterior coax will need have ground to exterior ground.

Iiii

@optonline.net
reply to dosdoxies

The apt i moved into had a ground box in ac outlet on wall. It had a screw for ground wire and a light to tell u if outlet is grounded right..

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brianiscool

said by brianiscool:

You(13:38:15): When they did the install at my location. They usually ground the wires. The technician stated to me it wasn't really necessary. Can that cause a fire?
Radnor(13:39:59): I apologize for the delay in reply.
Radnor(13:40:50): Please do not worry, if the wires are not grounded, it is not dangerous.

Sorry, but the chat reps have no technical knowledge of the correct way to install an ONT....

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
Mount Vernon, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to nycdave

said by nycdave:

The SFU grounding rules are now a national requirement, based on the NY State rules, i.e. they are more stringent to meet the new NEC code changes.

When did that go into effect? I know that the techs here were screaming about the COAX block. That must have gone over like a lead ballon when it went national.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY

Earlier this year. The NEC code updates required the national policy change.

Pathfinder
Dazed Confused
Premium
Mount Vernon, NY

Certainly makes Quality Control a lot easier. So now the nation has to have an external ground on all ONTs?

Acc708

join:2008-06-28
reply to PoloDude

said by PoloDude:

said by ground:

The coax grounding does not apply everywhere Polo. In Pa., only the ont must be grounded.

Dave, if it went national to ground the coax, then it hasn't been communicated.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to brianiscool

If the wiring is 100% internal and it is a multifamily dwelling, using the outlet ground meets the current NEC requirements, read NEC 820.100 for the details.

If your single or duplex dwelling, there is a 20 foot suggested length, but is not a requirement, and only when there is a connection to coax that goes outside of the home does the bonding requirement come into play, so an externally mounted ONT would come under this rule

The primary reason for the grounding of the shield is to prevent accidental energizing of the shield entering a premise.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
Melville, NY
reply to Acc708

The SFU ONT grounding rules are national, not the coax grounding rules...

anonontech10

@verizon.net
reply to brianiscool

Your Fios is grounded via the power cord. NEC said that wasnt a viable ground because customer could disconnect the the grounded power plug and the ONT would no longer be grounded.