Search similar:

uniqs

danclan
join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

danclan to dosdoxies

to dosdoxies

Re: Installer did not ground my FIOS.

Your Coax could already be grounded. The ground for your coax could be found at the first splitter and it would run from the splitter to the house/complex ground or on a separate wire to external ground.

The interior ONT itself should also have a separate ground to the house/complex ground if its connected correctly. Exterior coax will need have ground to exterior ground.

Iiii
@optonline.net

Iiii to dosdoxies

Anon

to dosdoxies
The apt i moved into had a ground box in ac outlet on wall. It had a screw for ground wire and a light to tell u if outlet is grounded right..

nycdave
MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY

nycdave to brianiscool

MVM

to brianiscool
said by brianiscool:

You(13:38:15): When they did the install at my location. They usually ground the wires. The technician stated to me it wasn't really necessary. Can that cause a fire?
Radnor(13:39:59): I apologize for the delay in reply.
Radnor(13:40:50): Please do not worry, if the wires are not grounded, it is not dangerous.

Sorry, but the chat reps have no technical knowledge of the correct way to install an ONT....

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5 to nycdave

Premium Member

to nycdave
said by nycdave:

The SFU grounding rules are now a national requirement, based on the NY State rules, i.e. they are more stringent to meet the new NEC code changes.

When did that go into effect? I know that the techs here were screaming about the COAX block. That must have gone over like a lead ballon when it went national.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave

MVM

Earlier this year. The NEC code updates required the national policy change.

Pathfinder5
Dazed Confused
Premium Member
join:2000-03-26
New York, NY

Pathfinder5

Premium Member

Certainly makes Quality Control a lot easier. So now the nation has to have an external ground on all ONTs?

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to PoloDude

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

said by ground:

The top socket is occupied by a charger for Nokia phones.
I may be totally wrong, but it looks like the ONT is plugged in to the grounded 3-prong outlet, therefore the device is grounded.

As I and Dave Said,That ONT is NOT grounded properly. There must be a separate ground that grounds the coax. A coax ground block is used,then the ONT is plugged into a special outlet grounding module.
The job was not done correctly. A tech MUST come out and fix it.

The coax grounding does not apply everywhere Polo. In Pa., only the ont must be grounded.

Dave, if it went national to ground the coax, then it hasn't been communicated.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to brianiscool

Premium Member

to brianiscool
If the wiring is 100% internal and it is a multifamily dwelling, using the outlet ground meets the current NEC requirements, read NEC 820.100 for the details.

If your single or duplex dwelling, there is a 20 foot suggested length, but is not a requirement, and only when there is a connection to coax that goes outside of the home does the bonding requirement come into play, so an externally mounted ONT would come under this rule

The primary reason for the grounding of the shield is to prevent accidental energizing of the shield entering a premise.

nycdave
MVM
Melville, NY

nycdave to Acc708

MVM

to Acc708
The SFU ONT grounding rules are national, not the coax grounding rules...

anonontech10
@verizon.net

anonontech10 to brianiscool

Anon

to brianiscool
Your Fios is grounded via the power cord. NEC said that wasnt a viable ground because customer could disconnect the the grounded power plug and the ONT would no longer be grounded.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

Someone is coming on Sunday, but not inside. They are upgrading my line outside to 150/75 something about having to upgrade the line.
psbny
join:2002-01-06
Peekskill, NY

psbny

said by brianiscool:

Someone is coming on Sunday, but not inside. They are upgrading my line outside to 150/75 something about having to upgrade the line.

most speed upgrades do not require a tech visit. but since you will be upgrading to a speed >100Mbs a visit is needed to feed the router with cat5 from the ont in the closet. they will need to get inside to accomplish this. it's likely the tech will fix the ground since he/she will now 'own' the job.

vzfiostechnj
@verizon.net

vzfiostechnj to brianiscool

Anon

to brianiscool
These are the actual rules for ONT grounding for the JI-ONT models such as the one you have. (For NJ, and presumably all other states except NY. It is incorrect that every state has to follow NY rules. I know because I install the service everyday, read every M&P from Verizon on the bonding and grounding rules, have to fill out a stupid mdu checklist through my blackberry phone before closing out an installation job that goes through every single step)

1)There must be no external wiring. (wiring that runs outside your home)

2)The AC power cord may NOT be run under a door, through a wall, inside conduit, or stapled or permanently affixed or attached in any way.

3)The outlet must be a 3-pronged non-switched outlet, tested with circuit tester indicating proper ground.

4)All other outlets being used for router, stb, etc. must also be 3-pronged grounded outlets. (even though these devices may only be 3-pronged)

5)The JI-ONT form factor may not be altered in any way. (e.g. The PSU cannot be split from the ONT)

6)An extension cord may NOT be used to reach the outlet.

As long as ALL those requirements above are met, then the ONT does not require a separate ground wire to be run as the ground is built into the ONT via the third prong on the AC cord.

If even one of those requirements is not met, then YES a separate ground wire is required to be run to a TII-442 grounding module.

The ground to the coax grounding block if for NY only OR for desktop ONT models.
brianiscool
join:2000-08-16
Tampa, FL

brianiscool

The new technician came out. He stated to me that outside wire is already grounded. Also when connecting to a wall socket. It was using a three prong connector.