I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM to f0rtys3ven

Premium Member

to f0rtys3ven

Re: GW2: Guardian Thread

I'm running guardian as main for the most part. He's at 62 now. I ran greatsword for the most part of leveling. I don't have the traits infront of me but I ran mostly a power and condition damage traitline. Burned enemies and down them fast. Last night I just switched to a defense and power build but I'm not liking it too much.

I think a defense with condition damage build might be fun but might have to go shield and some other weapon than a sword that I had.

Greatsword is really fun. That AOE chain death grip whatever you call it is really nice. I'm still lost on what will be effective on the guardian but from what I've seen they can take damage, deal some damage and heal pretty effectively.

f0rtys3ven
join:2011-09-01
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Right now my most devastating combo is death grip, pull in, rune ground, whirl wind, the AOE fire. I think with some traits into burnging damage and into the on hit burning virtue you really could do alot of conditional dmg.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

I think that AOE fire is really cleansing fire, removing conditions from allies. I don't think it does any more damage (although looks pretty!).

I think I read somewhere guardians do have a few interactions that lets them whirl out actual extra fire damage.

That death grip thing is a bit flaky for me. I don't seem to always hit (range maybe shorter than I think) and it doesn't seem to always pull in.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven

Have to dob tap that shit. The AOE fire does both cleansing fire and fire dmg to enemies. Its also a combo field so you can whirl and get fire bolts I think its called. A whirl wind on the great sword rune cures conditions of allies around you.

Most of our combo fields are light which aren't that exciting offensively.

Anyone know what a leap through the staff wall does?

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Started up a guard this weekend, how are everyone's builds progressing? I'm looking at either speccing for tanking or heals (or both) for group play. Has anyone placed a major emphasis on healing? If so, how does the class do?
htin11
join:2000-08-10
Flushing, NY

htin11

said by TheBionic:

Started up a guard this weekend, how are everyone's builds progressing? I'm looking at either speccing for tanking or heals (or both) for group play. Has anyone placed a major emphasis on healing? If so, how does the class do?

I started a guardian this week too. Level 11, have work, so only can play 1 hour a night. I have a level 80 human elementist for awhile now, but wow guardian is a lot of fun. Heals in nearly every skill. They definately changed the guardian, i played it during the second open beta, much more better now.

f0rtys3ven
Lansing, MI

f0rtys3ven to TheBionic

to TheBionic
Theres only healing on some weapons. I believe the staff and scepter. The torch has some condition removal.

I haven't looked into healing but theres where ya start I think.

Theres a few utility spells that give regen and or healing. The spirit bow heals allies as well. The one elite spell is specifically for healing.
f0rtys3ven

f0rtys3ven

Currently playing great sword, mace + focus. The focus gives a great block spell that blocks the next 3 incoming attacks. Mace gives some regen. Greatsword is all dmg or cc spells.

My utilities are the consecration that burns foes and cures conditions and the retreat shout that gives agis and swiftness.

I have found that I can block alot of those 1 shot type hits with the focus spell and this utility spell along with the heal and block spell. And for emergencies I can pop the virtue for on call agis. We can really mitigate alot of dmg with agis.

For talent points I am starting in boon length and virtue recharge. I plan to go 30 into the top row but not until after I get some points into vitality. The 30 points in the top will be for great sword skills.

Majors I want include 5%dmg on great sword, 25% faster skills on two handers, great swords attacks heal, when any agis you apply is popped the enemy is burned, anytime you block the enemy is burned. Also looking into +% dmg on burned targets.

The basic idea is to block most hard hitting attacks and have them burning most of the time. With the healing from great sword attacks and the regen signet on mace I should have some ok survivability. And I can spam virtues for group play.

I'd like to know how many people I need to have around me to justify using my burning virtue. It gives burning on hit to everyone around you, but on cd I dont get my burn on every 5th hit.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Yeah those CDs on the virtues look like a pain in that you don't get the passive while they're on cool down. I just watched a YT vid on a tankish guardian build. He didn't hit hard but was soloing level 74 group events in Orr, including Champion mobs, with crap gear. He used mace+focus and staff. Looked like fun!