how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CECat

join:2012-08-14
reply to CECat

Re: [Modem] Help with Motorola 3360 Modem and router configurati

Never mind ... I think I *finally* grasped the issue and it looks like the only rational solution will be to add a hub between the modem and router, and attach a spare laptop to that with an IP on the same subnet as the modem.

Susan

wayjac
Premium,MVM
join:2001-12-22
Indy
kudos:1
said by CECatit :

looks like the only rational solution will be to add a hub between the modem and router, and attach a spare laptop to that with an IP on the same subnet as the modem

You don't need to add a hub or a spare computer if the router has two unused ethernet ports

CECat

Oh! So, if I connect the spare laptop to one of the router's empty ports, but set its IP to match the modem's subnet, then I can contact the modem through it? If so, then what is the second router port needed for?

Pretend you're explaining to an idiot Actually, you won't be pretending!

Thanks so much!!
Susan

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by CECat:

Oh! So, if I connect the spare laptop to one of the router's empty ports, but set its IP to match the modem's subnet, then I can contact the modem through it?

Correct
said by CECat:

If so, then what is the second router port needed for?

Connecting the modem and router this way uses two router lan ports

Here's a picture that shows the connections
/r0/download/1615782~8f41b3f88f2340fe10b10e7c6a70ad5b/untitled_5.PNG

CECat

Thank you!!! Almost idiot-proof

One (hopefully) last question --- do the spare laptop AND the router now have to be on the same subnet as the modem, or just the spare laptop?

REALLY appreciate all your help, Wayjac!

wayjac
Premium,MVM
Indy
said by CECat:

One (hopefully) last question --- do the spare laptop AND the router now have to be on the same subnet as the modem, or just the spare laptop?

If the spare laptop is the only computer you want to access the modem. Only the spare laptop needs to use the same subnet as the modem