Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA
reply to burner50

Re: RadioReference.com Change

said by burner50:

Those options for ads are very intrusive, especially considering that feed providers do not receive any incentive. The feed audio should NOT contain any ads in my opinion. I applaud the owner for not taking this course, instead bearing the brunt of the cost.

I strongly agree on that. It is very clean the way it is, and hope it stays that way. You don't see that to often on the web anymore.
--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
join:2003-07-06
Hampton Bays, NY
kudos:7
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

Those options for ads are very intrusive, especially considering that feed providers do not receive any incentive. The feed audio should NOT contain any ads in my opinion. I applaud the owner for not taking this course, instead bearing the brunt of the cost.

not really if the right type of placement is utilized, considering that most listeners are primarily listening anyway.
if the feed was using flash, the flash ad would only play one 15-30 second video ad the first time the player is fired and then no more after that.
the HTML injected ads within the player dont affect the sound but if there is video, it takes a very small portion of the bottom of the players screen area and if you play your cards right, you can position the video so the ads dont cover any portion of it, very little of the screen area is actually needed to display the current channel/freq/trunk/id stats.
there are no ads that interrupt the ongoing duration of the live content.
i have taken feedback and the general consensus is people dont mind the ads as long as it doest interfere with the ongoing live content.
but to each their own method i guess.
--
Suffolk County NY Police Feed - »www.scpdny.com
PS3 Gaming Feed - »www.livestream.com/elitedata

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
join:2002-06-05
Fort Worth, TX
kudos:1
reply to GeekNJ

said by GeekNJ:

I know there are a bunch of RadioReference.com folks here some of which are active on that site and wondered what your opinion was of the pending change/split of the site - see »forums.radioreference.com/commun···com.html

I can't imagine anyone that is either a paid radioreference.com subscriber or a feed provider would think is good for them, but interested in what you all think.

There is HTML ads injected in the player, but that is pretty much the extent of it. Starting a feed with a 30 second ad is too intrusive in my opinion, and i think people's ire would be justified in that case.
--
I'm tired of killing stupid people just trying to do my job and go home!

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

join:2004-09-07
Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

not really if the right type of placement is utilized, considering that most listeners are primarily listening anyway.

Looking at my feed stats the majority of listeners are using smartphone apps. I really doubt they see any of the HTML ads or ads injected into the flash player.
--
Bellingham Scanner Kicks Ass! »bhamscanner.kicks-ass.org/

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

said by b10010011:

said by IllIlIlllIll:

Looking at my feed stats the majority of listeners are using smartphone apps. I really doubt they see any of the HTML ads or ads injected into the flash player.

not for a smartphone.
but for the web on a pc, yes.
what im using for my feed, you dont need an app, just a web browser, im also using a third party to host the feed for free additionally.
it streams to the user as RTSP up to 100Kbit or less, video & audio.
one stream to the host at up to 100Kbit, then the host takes over (repeats it) to the masses at the same bit rate.
the feed is supplied by a small netbook and a $179 scanner.
--

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by IllIlIlllIll:

what im using for my feed, you dont need an app, just a web browser, im also using a third party to host the feed for free additionally.
the feed is supplied by a small netbook and a $179 scanner.

I am basically doing the same thing. I use Darkice to send my feeds to RR and I also run Icecast locally and host my feeds directly and host my website with Apache. Fact is the only reason I even stream to RR is after I had been running my site for a year or so a lot of listeners requested I get my feed listed on the scanner app they have on their smartphones.

I was using a Netbook (EeePC 900) for over a year but one long hot summer day it just gave up and died. I am currently using a dual core Atom Mini-ITX box I built for about $200. »secure.newegg.com/WishList/Publi···16673272 and my "Poorman's SSD" »forums.radioreference.com/live-a···t1629367

But I have also used 1Ghz thin clients, and started out running it on a decTOP (366Mhz Geode).

Right now I am attempting to get it all running on a Raspberry Pi.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

here is my site that i put together myself thats been in operation since 2003.
scpdny.com
it automatically redirects you to the proper type page formatted for the specific smartphone you have.
the only operational cost with this live feed not including the cost of internet and electric, is the domain and host, together at about $58 yearly.
the google advert more than makes up the yearly operating cost as well as a sponsor, which the left over proceeds from those after paying for the yearly operational costs, get donated to the individual who volunteered to host my scanner, antenna and netbook as its not at my location.
--

b10010011
Whats a Posting tag?

Bellingham, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast Formerl..

said by IllIlIlllIll:

here is my site that i put together myself thats been in operation since 2003. scpdny.com
it automatically redirects you to the proper type page formatted for the specific smartphone you have.

That's cool, you must have smarter listeners then I do because the main complaint I had was smartphone users complaining about having to open their browser to access my feeds when they have a free scanner app that has hundreds of feeds in it.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

here is my site that i put together myself thats been in operation since 2003.
scpdny.com
the only operational cost with this live feed not including the cost of internet and electric, is the domain and host, together at about $58 yearly.
the google advert more than makes up the yearly operating cost as well as a sponsor, which the left over proceeds from those after paying for the yearly operational costs, get donated to the individual who volunteered to host my scanner, antenna and netbook as its not at my location.

What happens when there is a shooting somewhere you feed covers? Can you support 10,000-20,000 hits per second on you $58 hosting package? What you're really doing is letting radioreference take the brunt of that if it ever happens (not to mention you'll get a $500 scanner master gift card)
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to IllIlIlllIll

Also,

In my car on the way home this morning, I decided to tune in and see what was happening in Suffolk county. You do have a very well done web page that displayed very nicely on my Galaxy S2... but when I attempted to go back to my GPS app, the stock media player stopped playing. Sort of a deal breaker for me personally.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

What happens when there is a shooting somewhere you feed covers? Can you support 10,000-20,000 hits per second on you $58 hosting package? What you're really doing is letting radioreference take the brunt of that if it ever happens (not to mention you'll get a $500 scanner master gift card)

The host im using to "repeat" the feed to the masses seems to be able handle the traffic without any issues, they handle live feeds for television/media/radio stations across the USA.
Suffolk County is a small county, its one Police feed for the county, not multiple feeds.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

Also,

In my car on the way home this morning, I decided to tune in and see what was happening in Suffolk county. You do have a very well done web page that displayed very nicely on my Galaxy S2... but when I attempted to go back to my GPS app, the stock media player stopped playing. Sort of a deal breaker for me personally.

Unfortunately, this is an inherent design of the Galaxy when using the stock media player.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by burner50:

The host im using to "repeat" the feed to the masses seems to be able handle the traffic without any issues, they handle live feeds for television/media/radio stations across the USA.
Suffolk County is a small county, its one Police feed for the county, not multiple feeds.

But if there was ever a major incident (VA Tech Shooting, D ark Knight Shooting, etc), would you be able to survive? Radioreference was getting 10,000-20,000 hits per second during the VA Tech incident.

Your site is indexed by Google and easily found by anyone, including national news agencies / general internet.

Let me answer for you...

No, your site would crumble under the load.
--

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium
Fort Worth, TX
reply to IllIlIlllIll

said by IllIlIlllIll:

said by burner50:

Also,

Unfortunately, this is an inherent design of the Galaxy when using the stock media player.

Same thing on my TF101 with MXPlayer and the same on my wife's iPhone... I'm pretty sure that any example I provide to you will be the fault of my equipment in your eyes instead of a poor idea for a streaming player of this type.

My point is, the smartphone apps are specifically designed for smart phone streaming, not adapted to work on smart phones utilizing existing apps.

Your site is great if I only want to listen to your feed and not do anything else on my phone.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY

2 edits
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

But if there was ever a major incident (VA Tech Shooting, D ark Knight Shooting, etc), would you be able to survive? Radioreference was getting 10,000-20,000 hits per second during the VA Tech incident.

Your site is indexed by Google and easily found by anyone, including national news agencies / general internet.

Let me answer for you...

No, your site would crumble under the load.

theres been no issues for 9 years but when the "3 mile island" or "indian point" nuclear plant blows up, we'll see.
--

IllIlIlllIll
EliteData
Premium
Hampton Bays, NY
reply to burner50

said by burner50:

Same thing on my TF101 with MXPlayer and the same on my wife's iPhone... I'm pretty sure that any example I provide to you will be the fault of my equipment in your eyes instead of a poor idea for a streaming player of this type.

My point is, the smartphone apps are specifically designed for smart phone streaming, not adapted to work on smart phones utilizing existing apps.

Your site is great if I only want to listen to your feed and not do anything else on my phone.

point taken.
i try to keep it "universal" in a way so its accessible from just about any media platform from a web browser (xbox, ps3, smart tv, etc) but to each their own i guess.
--

chpalmer

join:2002-11-18
Belfair, WA
reply to GeekNJ

quote:
They are a group from the pacific northwest and it is my own opinion that they're polluting their database with FCC Dumps
Just- Wow. Well- your opinion would be wrong.

CookieGuru

join:2012-12-31
reply to GeekNJ

said by chpalmer:

quote:
They are a group from the pacific northwest and it is my own opinion that they're polluting their database with FCC Dumps
Just- Wow. Well- your opinion would be wrong.

Agreed. The FCC DB does not contain CTCSS or DCS tones, which the Intercept DB seems to be full of.

said by b10010011:

He and a group of RR old-timers had a falling out with the owner of RR and started Intercept Radio.

I find this hard to believe since Intercept's archives go back to 1996 and RadioReference.com wasn't purchased until 2003.