TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy to dsldan

MVM

to dsldan

Re: [OOL] Is this how OOL does wireless????

said by dsldan:

Ok. Question. What right does any telecommunications provider have to come into a subscriber's private premises and install equipment that is not for the sole benefit of that subscriber? I understand an easement where the cable and phone companies can run lines across your property outdoors... But using the customer's premises and electric for something that isn't for the sole benefit of the customer? They should pay rent or compensate the owner.

None, without the owners's permission.
said by dsldan:

said by TheWiseGuy:

It will not use the cap for the other Modem and streaming netflix should not slow anything on the other Modem or LAN or use any of the bandwidth cap for the other modem.

I'm confused. How can this be? What, is cable some kind of magical network where you can use unlimited bandwidth?

Each Modem has a cap, wireless has a cap of 20mbps but the pipe can have a lot higher cap, say 8 channels at 38mbps or around 300mbps so while if utilization of all the channels was high it could have an effect but the number of channels can be increased with each modem using a separate set of channels, so under normal circumstances streaming netflix on the Hot Spot would be like any other of the many subscribers streaming netflix on their modem.
said by dsldan:

said by TheWiseGuy:

It seems to have been located in the wrong spot in that it is interfering with the present wireless signal. It would not have been installed without the Business owners permission but they might not have understood what they requested or what was suggested to them.

Well I have it on good authority that they just showed up unannounced without asking.

As I say it would not have been done unless CV thought that they had permission but misunderstandings occur all the time.
dsldan
join:2001-11-06
Forest Hills, NY

dsldan

Thank you for your reply.

I still want to load the autonomous version of IOS onto the AP, give it their own SSID and passphrase, cable it to the LAN, and place it where it should have been put to cover a weak signal area.

I'd like to do it with OOL's permission, but I don't think that's going to stop me.
TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA

TheWiseGuy

MVM

I would be very careful with this, since it has it own cap, ie using 2 modems allows for use of more bandwidth, and you would be tampering with Cablevision equipment, it could be interpreted as theft of service. Doing it without CV permission, which would not be given, is not something I would recommend. I suggest you simply have it removed.

xirian
Premium Member
join:2003-01-26
Beacon, NY

xirian to dsldan

Premium Member

to dsldan
You are missing the point. The access point is not yours, it is optimum's. They installed it the way they did because it isn't for you to use on your own lan. Most likely your boss misunderstood when he talked to a rep. You can call them and have them remove it, but tinkering with it would not be a good idea besides moving it away from your access point.
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to dsldan

to dsldan
said by dsldan:

I still want to load the autonomous version of IOS onto the AP, give it their own SSID and passphrase, cable it to the LAN, and place it where it should have been put to cover a weak signal area.

I'd like to do it with OOL's permission, but I don't think that's going to stop me.

It's not your equipment. You didn't pay for it. If allowing your customers to have access to Optimum WiFi infuriates you so much (why do you hate your customers?), call Cablevision and tell them to take it out.

SHoTTa35
@optonline.net

SHoTTa35 to dsldan

Anon

to dsldan
You cannot change anything on those Cisco devices as they are locked down and managed by Cablevision. We have Cisco 851s here for use with our static services and there's 0 access to them.

Either way, you either forget about them being there or call to get them removed. Those are your only options.