Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff

Re: Live Coverage of Apple's September 12th New iPhone

Or it's just a white adapter with rounded edges.
The cables are $19. Still crazy if you ask me but better than $29.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to ptrowski

Premium Member

to ptrowski

Look for inexpensive adapters to start popping up on monoprice.com

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to ptrowski

MVM,

to ptrowski
Unless the "adapter" only works with a few digital only devices, it will at least need an ADC, a DAC, serial to USB converter, possibly some voltage regulators or DC/DC converters.

If it works with the existing HDMI or Video out cables, it'll need even more sophisticated video D to A converters. Won't know how extensive it is until somebody cracks one open. But I can almost guarantee you it's not just a box of wires.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
Holy crap, I thought he was discussing WP8's and those were Nokia's behind him.

BellBoy
Steven Paul Jobs 1955-2011
Premium Member
join:2001-02-20
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Keynote is up.

»www.apple.com/apple-even ··· er-2012/

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo

MVM

You know, it's their "best Keynote ever!" lol.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Alcohol

Premium Member

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

7? It was 8.9 as far as i can remember and it's already been leaked to be shown in October.

Not 8.9", it would be rumoured to be 7.85". Their current unit is 9.7" a drop of less than an inch is worthless and not very noticeable.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

1 recommendation

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Nokia better watch out. Apple is probably applying for a patent for the new ipod nanos as we speak...

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

I'll just leave this here...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Colors sure but come on...the new Nano's look exactly like miniature Nokias. I know when I saw that screen shot I though Shiller was talking about WP8 competition.
skeechan

skeechan to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
LOL. I fast forwarded through most of it. Phil and Scott annoy me for some reason.

And I'd like to demo it for you.........

now

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to skeechan

MVM,

to skeechan
I agree they're similar. But I also thought the Nokia looked like an iPod Mini with a full-size screen when it was released.

So then does the iPod nano look like the Nokia or does it look like an iPod Mini with a full size screen?

Philosophical questions aside, I'm surprised they went with the nano design after seeing the Lumia series. Maybe it's not as similar in person? And I personally dislike the contrast between the colored bezel/back and the white front. The all-black one is the only one that looks acceptable to me.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

In person being aluminum with some 1/4 the size they'll look different but look like they came from the same company.

What I don't like is the nano is bigger. Defeats the purpose of the nano. I'm not going to watch videos on that little thing.

BT is cool...I'll get one for BT but I wish it were the same size as the original.
skeechan

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
No kidding.

They did just get awarded a patent for the nano but it is for the extruded aluminum with slot design with end caps.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

LOL. I fast forwarded through most of it. Phil and Scott annoy me for some reason.

And I'd like to demo it for you.........

now

You mean like how Tim/Steve announce a product and then you get a little Phil/Scott Apple worship infomercial? Now how could that annoy you I wonder?

Sure some of the infomercial has interesting stuff, but most of it is 'Our product is so amazing, beautiful, best' crap that makes me vomit.
Metatron2008

Metatron2008 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

I agree they're similar. But I also thought the Nokia looked like an iPod Mini with a full-size screen when it was released.

So then does the iPod nano look like the Nokia or does it look like an iPod Mini with a full size screen?

Philosophical questions aside, I'm surprised they went with the nano design after seeing the Lumia series. Maybe it's not as similar in person? And I personally dislike the contrast between the colored bezel/back and the white front. The all-black one is the only one that looks acceptable to me.

They are arrogant and don't seem to understand the consequences of starting a war based on looks.

Alcohol
Premium Member
join:2003-05-26
Climax, MI

Alcohol to J E F F4

Premium Member

to J E F F4
said by J E F F4:

said by Alcohol:

7? It was 8.9 as far as i can remember and it's already been leaked to be shown in October.

Not 8.9", it would be rumoured to be 7.85". Their current unit is 9.7" a drop of less than an inch is worthless and not very noticeable.

Oh, you're right. 8.9 is something Samsung did. 7.85 makes more sense.

I thought they were going to release 2 iphones today. One top of the line and other mid-range. Perhaps a 8GB iphone 4s with different hardware. It makes sense if they want to attack China/India aggressively. There are no subsidies there.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4

Premium Member

I was surprised to see the premium price on the iPod touch. Though it's a sweet looking device. I can only imagine the type of games they'll be able to toss onto the device.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Found a funny pic online:

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN

Chillin to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
Some of you take this stuff way to serious. It's a phone.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini to ptrowski

to ptrowski
said by ptrowski:

said by not quite right:

said by ptrowski:

$29 for the adapter? Fuck that.

Ok buy all new shit ...

It's ridiculously priced. Plus I would need three of them for my household. Let's be real here. $29 is a kick to the balls.

Where the hell do you shop? There's half-a-dozen flea markets around my house that will see this adapter for $3 or $5 dollars, that's where I go to buy chargers and cables for my wife's iphone 4.

ptrowski
Got Helix?
Premium Member
join:2005-03-14
Woodstock, CT

ptrowski

Premium Member

In my neck of the woods there are not a bunch of flea markets. It either online or at the retail stores.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to Metatron2008

Premium Member

to Metatron2008
No I mean Steve was an inspiration and WAS these products. He was enjoyable and exciting to watch. Phil and Scott are boring.

Meanwhile Apple does make the most amazing, beautiful, best stuff and is what marketers call a first-mover. Samsung and everyone else are second-movers and ALWAYS will be. Where Apple leads, they will follow like dogs.

Xstar_Lumini
join:2008-12-14
CANADA

Xstar_Lumini

said by skeechan:

No I mean Steve was an inspiration and WAS these products. He was enjoyable and exciting to watch. Phil and Scott are boring.

Meanwhile Apple does make the most amazing, beautiful, best stuff and is what marketers call a first-mover. Samsung and everyone else are second-movers and ALWAYS will be. Where Apple leads, they will follow like dogs.

Oh yeah I really enjoyed watching that sour-faced dictator sneering on those presentations and making sure he enslaved you with his propietary devices instead of making them flexible and better for his die-hard fanatics.

Samsumg has surpassed Apple for your info, Google it, the Galaxy III has outsold the iphone the world over this week, more units sold worldwide. Samsumg is truly a visionary company, the Galaxy Nexus unlocked all over the world as smartphones should be, unlike apple and their stupidity to sell their first smartphone locked for years on the crappy and incompetent AT&T network.

Google's (Android's) Play Store is as large and as professional-looking as the Apple Store, no bloody iTunes either to ruin the party. I have only signed-in ONCE in my lifetime to Google Store and download free/paid apps no problem, on the Apple Store every bloody app I have to sing-in with my ID, even when the app is free for heaven's sakes.

Just because Samsumg is second or a copycat doesn't mean they are not as good or better than Apple, Toyota was a copycat of Ford as history shows, tell me which vehicle is superior? The galaxy III creams any iPhone you can put up against it, it's not my words it's reality, check it out on the internet.

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Samsumg has surpassed Apple for your info, Google it, the Galaxy III has outsold the iphone the world over this week, more units sold worldwide. Samsumg is truly a visionary company

So you don't think that releasing a new iPhone in the next couple of weeks hasn't slowed iPhone sales for months now??

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

4 edits

skeechan to Xstar_Lumini

Premium Member

to Xstar_Lumini
Samsung surpassed Apple? Hardly, it's more like a loser flyby...I use both platforms DAILY and the Play Store is a convoluted second run...like a blurry Xerox copy of the App Store. Meanwhile yeah, no iTunes...just beyond stupid and glacially slow Android Transfer and unreliable syncing. I love it when 1/2 of my contacts are missing on my Samsung and apps on my Xoom force close 5, 6 times a day. It's my favorite. Nothing is better than working on a document or long forum post just to have Polaris take a giant shit or the browser spontaneously quit. It's a stellar user experience I'll tell ya. Yesbut...you can install custom ROMS...yeah, like my Samsung where you lose the camera and hardware acceleration and end up with a half baked buggy mess of a handset. I love having to build 2 completely separate music libraries because Google Music Manager fails to re-encode for upload and rather just ignores high bitrate files altogether...making playlists incomplete.

No thanks. You can keep it. I'll use Android tablets to play around with, like my 1080P TF700T which is by far the best Android tablet on the planet...but as great as it is, it's not as good as my iPad and if one is tossed to the curb...it would be the Transformer Infinity.

Samsung isn't visionary...they're a second mover no different than every other Android hardware vendor and they always will be. Samsung is the Dell of the handset world....cheap handsets pushed out in volume running a free OS.

And Samsung BETTER outsell the iPhone 4 the month before the iPhone 5 is released. Let's see how the iPhone 5 first week sales compare to the S3's first week sales...or month, or quarter. The iPhone 5 will blow the S3 out of the water. While nice, the S3 is another supposed iPhone killer that wasn't. It will go down as just another Android handset.

Gotta love it when Apple threads make the front page at DSLR. My ignore list gets a little longer every time it happens.

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy to not quite right

Premium Member

to not quite right
(checking pockets)

Now where did I leave my troll feedbag...?

Thinkdiff
MVM,
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to Xstar_Lumini

MVM,

to Xstar_Lumini
said by Xstar_Lumini:

Samsumg is truly a visionary company,

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Just because Samsumg is second or a copycat...

Does not compute...

BTW, it's Samsung

BellBoy
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

BellBoy

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Samsumg is truly a visionary company,

said by Xstar_Lumini:

Just because Samsumg is second or a copycat...

Does not compute...

BTW, it's Samsung

Preach brotha, PREACH!

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to not quite right

to not quite right
Sorry, didn't read all the 400 posts in this as well as the other threads, so I don't know if this was mentioned, but have a quick question. If you don't have the 5, but have iOS6, how will the phone handle the extra row of icons on the screen? Will they shrink in size so it will fit, or will the operating system come in two flavors, one for the 5 with the extra row and one for the others without the extra row?