Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Shed project

Well, I had high hopes of posting a nice start-to-finish account of my new shed, but I accidentally deleted most of the photos off my phone a few weeks ago. Ugh.

Anyway, I purchased an 8x10 shed from Sheds USA, through Home Depot. It's essentially tilt-up construction by one of their local installers. It ended up being very similarly priced to the DIY shed kits that I looked into, and the overall quality was better. 2x4 construction vs. 2x3, etc.

First I cleared a site for the shed which meant cutting down a bunch of bamboo and removing roots. Bamboo is a pain.

Then I had a concrete pad poured. 6" throughout with turndowns that are 18" I believe. Sheds USA provides the slab specs that must be followed so that everything fits properly. I put 3/4", 1", and 1.5" conduit stub-ups in the slab for electric and water. Simpson strong-tie straps anchor the sill plate to the slab.

Next I dug a trench from the house to the shed for the two electric conduits and a water line. 3/4" conduit for a single 20A 120v circuit, a spare 1" conduit, and 3/4" poly well pipe for water. Trench ended up being about 130' long and 30" deep. Water is connected to the irrigation system main line so it can be easily winterized along with the rest of the system.

Then the installers came and assembled the shed. They put in the sill plate, then the prefab walls and roof panels, then shingled the roof and installed door hardware, etc. Took about 3 hours start to finish.

Now for the part with pictures...

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Next step was electrical. Pulled 10AWG through the conduit to feed a 20A GFCI receptacle, a light inside the shed, and a light on the front of the shed with a photocell. The light on the front is a 3" recessed halogen fixture, except I replaced the bulb with a Philips GU10 4W LED.

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
The shed siding is pine, so I needed to coat it. I used a waterproofing stain/sealer.

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

1 recommendation

Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size
And finally, I built a small workbench and put up some nail hooks.

zach3
Zach
Premium
join:2000-05-04
Saint Louis, MO
reply to PSWired

Looks great, nice job!!

garys_2k
Premium
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI
Reviews:
·Callcentric
·callwithus
reply to PSWired

VERY Nice!

One thought for the spare conduit: Pull a couple of low voltage wires (maybe a CAT5e or two) and you could put in a camera and door contact switch. Nice to know if the door opens in the middle of the night and to be able to remotely see what's going on.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC
kudos:1
reply to PSWired

Very nice electrical setup. I made the mistake of running the PVC conduit on the outside wall of my shed instead of coming up from under the floor. Oh well.

Why did you run only Hot/Neutral/Ground? Add a 4th wire (red) connected to the other leg of your service. Then by sharing the neutral and ground, you'll have two 20A 120V with the option adding a 240V receptacle (If you ever need it one day).

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Click for full size
Thanks! I'm considering putting another wifi AP out there, which would mean a cat5 through the spare conduit. Cell service in my neighborhood is horrible, and I like to listen to pandora on my phone while doing yard work, so having wifi coverage throughout the yard would be nice. Not exactly a priority though.

I decided 20A @ 120v was plenty for my needs out there, and if I need additional capacity in the future, I can always pull out the existing conductors and put them back in with an additional one.

Also, found some trench pictures.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

Holy crap that's a long trench. Fishing new wires will be extremely hard.

No wonder you went only 20A on 10AWG, you probably had to derate quite a bit. What is that distance? 100-150 feet?

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

It's 130 feet, and yes that explains the upsized conductors. Pulling them in really wasn't that bad, and I didn't use any lube either.

The worst part of that trench was I had to put it right where my Verizon FIOS drop was buried, so I had to very carefully dig that out by hand before going in with the trencher. Miss Utility marked it, but not accurately enough to avoid it.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

You probably pulled them all at the same time.
But now that they are in there, you'll have LOADS of fun pushing your fish tape from one side to the other without it jamming into the wires

You should have upsized the raceway diameter. When I was working on my raceway for the generator, I also was planning to use 3/4 then everyone here yelled at me to go 1 1/2. The 4th wire was a tight fit. Then again I was doing this in 40F temperature (wires were not very flexible).

You're still lucky on the trenching. You this being careful was a hassle?
»Generator house link project - The progress..

Look at all the rocks that were in there. I had to ride the trencher like a mad bull.

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Oh yeah, if I ever need another conductor I'll have to pull them all out and re-pull. No way I'd get another through that 3/4" without doing it that way.

Got lucky with the soil. Though I did run into an old lead pipe and some sort of copper oil lines.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to PSWired

It's a nice shed... but, as you will soon realize, it's too small.

I had a 10x20 shed built by a local outfit, figuring that would be plenty... not even close!!! I probably should have just had a 20x40 garage built instead and saved myself a lot of frustration.

My house is on a slab, consequently not much interior storage. The garage is full, the shed is full, and my 10x10 pool shed is packed to the gills. No matter what size you build/install... it's only adequate for a little while.

But that is a nice shed you put up!

Maybe I should reduce the number of "toys" I have.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

said by Pacrat:

Maybe I should reduce the number of "toys" I have.

What no never, blasphemy I say.

you're just sizing wrong, find out how much you think you need then triple it.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to Pacrat

Pacrat, you should do a spring cleaning

It's easy to fill storage space if you keep EVERYTHING.
I make the same mistake quite often. Then spring comes along and I max out my garbage limit every week.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
reply to Pacrat

said by Pacrat:

It's a nice shed... but, as you will soon realize, it's too small.

I had a 10x20 shed built by a local outfit, figuring that would be plenty... not even close!!! I probably should have just had a 20x40 garage built instead and saved myself a lot of frustration.

But as you would soon realize, 20x40 is too small. Maybe not as soon as 10x20, but soon enough.

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to PSWired

Looks very nice. Also is that a bamboo forest?
--
Professional student pilot!

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Well, forest might be a bit of a generous term, but it's a ton of bamboo! Lots of work to keep it under control in the springtime.

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
reply to PSWired

Beautiful work. I'm envious.
--
nohup rm -fr /&

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC
reply to PSWired

btw what's that thing?
I have one in my shed as well, with something that looks like a honeycombed bar of soap or whatever inside.

I figure it must have a purpose, you have one too! (But yours is empty wtf).

sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast

Looks like a cage to hold suet for the birds.
»www.drsfostersmith.com/wild-bird···89/13401
--
nohup rm -fr /&

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
reply to alkizmo

Looks like a suet birdfeeder.

How on earth do you "control" bamboo? I have heard that is even worse than kudzu.

alkizmo

Pierrefonds, QC

said by jrs8084:

How on earth do you "control" bamboo? I have heard that is even worse than kudzu.

Napalm. It worked in 'nam.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

How on earth do you "control" bamboo?

You cut it down every day.

--
September is National Blueberry Popsicle Month

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

Trench and install a root barrier -- usually heavy galvanized sheet metal or concrete or they even sell barrier material specifically for bamboo. The trench needs to be about 30" deep.

PSWired

Annapolis, MD
reply to PSWired

Yeah, that cage thing is a suet feeder. But it ends up feeding the squirrels more than the birds...

"Controlling" bamboo is a nearly impossible task. There are some underground concrete barriers throughout my yard that keep the bigger stands from getting out of control, but in the spring I have to go out there every few days and cut down the new growth. Fortunately the new stuff is very soft and easy to get rid of--sometimes a weedwacker will do the trick--but it grows FAST. We're talking multiple feet per day.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to PSWired

I saw this same shed outside of Saigon in '72 and it housed a family of 6 comfortably. It was also in a bamboo forest.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PSWired

said by PSWired:

Well, forest might be a bit of a generous term, but it's a ton of bamboo! Lots of work to keep it under control in the springtime.

I know how that is, I can't seem to get rid of it. Never plant bamboo or english ivy without a containment vessel in place....

PSWired

Annapolis, MD

Oh, funny you mention the english ivy, I've got tons of that too! Even roundup takes several rounds to kill it.