sempergoofy
Premium
join:2001-07-06
Smyrna, GA
Reviews:
·AT&T Southeast
reply to alkizmo

Re: Shed project

Looks like a cage to hold suet for the birds.
»www.drsfostersmith.com/wild-bird···89/13401
--
nohup rm -fr /&

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
kudos:1
reply to alkizmo

Looks like a suet birdfeeder.

How on earth do you "control" bamboo? I have heard that is even worse than kudzu.

alkizmo

join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

said by jrs8084:

How on earth do you "control" bamboo? I have heard that is even worse than kudzu.

Napalm. It worked in 'nam.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

How on earth do you "control" bamboo?

You cut it down every day.

--
September is National Blueberry Popsicle Month

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to jrs8084

said by jrs8084:

Trench and install a root barrier -- usually heavy galvanized sheet metal or concrete or they even sell barrier material specifically for bamboo. The trench needs to be about 30" deep.

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD
reply to PSWired

Yeah, that cage thing is a suet feeder. But it ends up feeding the squirrels more than the birds...

"Controlling" bamboo is a nearly impossible task. There are some underground concrete barriers throughout my yard that keep the bigger stands from getting out of control, but in the spring I have to go out there every few days and cut down the new growth. Fortunately the new stuff is very soft and easy to get rid of--sometimes a weedwacker will do the trick--but it grows FAST. We're talking multiple feet per day.

mix

join:2002-03-19
Utica, MI
reply to PSWired

I saw this same shed outside of Saigon in '72 and it housed a family of 6 comfortably. It was also in a bamboo forest.

sk1939
Premium
join:2010-10-23
Mclean, VA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·T-Mobile US
·Verizon FiOS
reply to PSWired

said by PSWired:

Well, forest might be a bit of a generous term, but it's a ton of bamboo! Lots of work to keep it under control in the springtime.

I know how that is, I can't seem to get rid of it. Never plant bamboo or english ivy without a containment vessel in place....

PSWired

join:2006-03-26
Annapolis, MD

Oh, funny you mention the english ivy, I've got tons of that too! Even roundup takes several rounds to kill it.