spc
Search similar:

uniqs
rocks911
join:2012-06-05
Garland, TX

rocks911

Verizon FIOS TV splitter

I am trying to connect my existing 75 ohm network in my home into my verizon FIOS TV network.

When I moved into my house there was an existing cable network throughout the house that was connected to, I dont know, maybe an antenna, or some other service. When I had FIOS installed they ran their own cable to various parts of the house. Some parts of my house have the cable Verizon ran and other parts have what was existing.

Can I get a splitter that I can run all the lines from? I have a 5 way splitter provided by Verizon but I need more like a 10 way splitter to incorporate the existing lines also. Where can I get a splitter that will do this?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

Yes, you can install a larger splitter. Just make sure it is rated 1Ghz or higher. Any unused taps and cable runs should have a 75 ohm terminators.

Why didn't VZ use your existing cables runs?
Are they RG-59? If so, the use of RG-59 is not recommended as the high frequency signal losses are higher than RG-6 and may not provide an acceptable signal.
quote:
Where can I get a splitter that will do this?

Google is your friend

bohratom
My Jersey Giants finally winning again..
join:2011-07-07
Red Bank NJ

bohratom

said by More Fiber:

Why didn't VZ use your existing cables runs?
Are they RG-59? If so, the use of RG-59 is not recommended as the high frequency signal losses are higher than RG-6 and may not provide an acceptable signal.

I find RG-59 is fine for distance less then 100ft runs. My house was all RG-59 from a cable installation done many moons ago and Ive had no problem with FIOS as my moca stats on all stbs is 220+. My brother and mother also have reused their cable RG-59 when switching to FIOS and have had no issues.
kes601
join:2007-04-14
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Mine is all RG59 as well and other than a few hiccups I had due to a kink in the cable in the attic it runs great and I have 3 splits in it and still get 220+ MOCA stats at the end of the runs.
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911 to More Fiber

to More Fiber
Thanks for the replies. The fact that older cable has worked without problems for a couple of ya'll is encouraging.

I dont know why Verizon didnt cobble both sets of cables together, but then again I was out of the country at the time of installation and a friend had to pop over to supervise, so I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.

Where can I pick up a larger splitter? Radio Shack?
rocks911

rocks911

Nevermind, found it.

So now I wonder how best to split. I have the Verizon 6 way splitter with 5 cables connected (well, really 6 cables, 1 in and 5 out) with a free out. So I run a cable from that out to my existing cable splitter in?

I dont have terribly long cable runs so I hope this will work.

Also, termination caps for unused jacks? I just read that in another thread here. Who knew!? So where do I get termination caps?

Or maybe is this better done by calling Verizon and getting a tech out here?

More Fiber
MVM
join:2005-09-26
Cape Coral, FL

More Fiber

MVM

said by rocks911:

So where do I get termination caps?

»lmgtfy.com/?q=75+ohm+terminator
rocks911
Garland, TX

rocks911

Clearly you are a tech God!

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to rocks911

to rocks911
You're asking for trouble by splitting this off of the 6 way splitter. The signal that comes out of the ont is usually about perfectly balanced to use with a 6 or 8 way splitter. Any more than that is not going to be optimal. You would need a moca bypass amp to connect 10 outlets. Is there a reason you are trying to hook them all up at the same time other than just to have them all connected?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Acc708:

You're asking for trouble by splitting this off of the 6 way splitter. The signal that comes out of the ont is usually about perfectly balanced to use with a 6 or 8 way splitter. Any more than that is not going to be optimal. You would need a moca bypass amp to connect 10 outlets. Is there a reason you are trying to hook them all up at the same time other than just to have them all connected?

My ONT goes to an eight way splitter and is still a very hot signal. I can split it a couple more times and then go to a four Tuner TiVo which splits it again and the signal is still very hot. The signal was like this for five years with my old ONT and also with the new ONT I got when I upgraded to the 150/65 tier.

bmoore8663
@verizon.net

bmoore8663

Anon

I just dropped into your forum because it seems that you're discussing an issue that I am currently engaging. This splitting of the Fios TV signal, is this to split the signal that comes from one of my Version Fios set top HD boxes so that I can watch the same channels on two TVs?

I have four HD boxes currently with four HD televisions, but there are two people in my house unless its a holiday that we may have guest. I cannot afford the $200 a month to have internet access and tv for the four televisions. I was hoping to reduce my monthly charges by using two of the boxes somehow between the four televisions. Do you think this splitting signal could be a solution for me?
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

This discussion is about splitting coax so another box can be added in another room.

You would need to either find a wireless solution to send video to another tv, or if the tvs share a common wall you can use multiple audio/video outputs on the HD Box -- one in the same room as the box and the other run through the wall to the other tv -- I do this in my living room / kitchen. Component video/analog audio to tv in the same room and HDMI to the tv in the kitchen.

Acc708
join:2008-06-28

Acc708 to aaronwt

to aaronwt
said by aaronwt See Profile
My ONT goes to an eight way splitter and is still a very hot signal. I can split it a couple more times and then go to a four Tuner TiVo which splits it again and the signal is still very hot. The signal was like this for five years with my old ONT and also with the new ONT I got when I upgraded to the 150/65 tier.
[/BQUOTE :

You're probably running about 14 db on oob and 19 db on ch 126. Subtract 11.5 db for a 6 way or 12.5 for an 8 way and the loss through the cable and you will be at about zero. Anymore splitting than that is pushing the envelope. It might work for you, but your moca rates are not going to be great and thus making you susceptible to problems.

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by Acc708:

said by aaronwt See Profile
[/BQUOTE :

You're probably running about 14 db on oob and 19 db on ch 126. Subtract 11.5 db for a 6 way or 12.5 for an 8 way and the loss through the cable and you will be at about zero. Anymore splitting than that is pushing the envelope. It might work for you, but your moca rates are not going to be great and thus making you susceptible to problems.

When I was using MoCA(I had two DLink MoCA devices and two TiVo Elites using MoCA) I got around 70Mb/s to 75Mb/s transfer rates between my TiVo Elite boxes. Which was slower than the normal 80Mb/s to 85Mb/s transfer rates using their GigE connection.
bmoore8663
join:2012-09-13
Fort Worth, TX

bmoore8663 to kes601

to kes601
Thank you for clarifying; I was feeling hopeful.

Unfortunately, none of my rooms with TVs have common walls.

Does anyone have an idea for a wireless solution that doesn't have a monthly service fee?
The tiVo boxes have a $15 monthly service charge + $150 for the tiVo box. That would be more expensive than renting another HD box from Verizon.
I just trying to find the cheapest solution to using all four HD TVs and possibly watch recordings made from the multi-room DVR.
kes601
Virginia Beach, VA

kes601

Something like this should work:

»www.amazon.com/RF-Link-A ··· eless+av
Jonasjlp
join:2011-06-22
Downingtown, PA

Jonasjlp to bohratom

to bohratom
well, RG-59 is ok but not if it is the clear core with copper braiding. It may work today, maybe tomorrow.....but after that you're pushing it.