uniqs
share rss forum feed

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2

[ON] Does shaw use some sort of per-connection throttling?

Hamilton:

Does anyone know if shaw is using any traffic shaping or throttling of their connections particularly by stream/connection? For example I can hit 50 megabits on a speed test but, if I use a single stream "wget" style file retrieval it will never reach that speed regardless of the file or server.
--
OptionsDSL Wireless Internet
»www.optionsdsl.ca

stolen

join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

likely due to latency + tcpwin size issues.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TCP_tuning

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

Well thats not the case here, the tests are from a dual core router, connected to their fibre via a media converter, but ever since mountaincable got bought out, its been acting like its going through a throttling box.
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

Shaw2slow

@datafoundry.com

I wouldn't doubt Shaw is throttling, a lot of nntp users are complaining of slow speeds. Shaw has in the past bought up an ISP then lowered upload speeds also.

ravenchilde

join:2011-04-01

said by Shaw2slow :

I wouldn't doubt Shaw is throttling, a lot of nntp users are complaining of slow speeds. Shaw has in the past bought up an ISP then lowered upload speeds also.

Shaw doesn't throttle downloads, per their ToS. They only throttle uploads, and only when a certain traffic level is surpassed. I've never seen evidence on DSLR that anyone has used a shaper detector to find rate shaping on downloads.

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3
reply to Inssomniak

said by Inssomniak:

Well thats not the case here, the tests are from a dual core router, connected to their fibre via a media converter, but ever since mountaincable got bought out, its been acting like its going through a throttling box.

As soon as Shaw took over they ran everything including all fibre products (excluding vlans) through their Ellacoya boxes.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
Cayuga, ON

said by twizlar:

said by Inssomniak:

As soon as Shaw took over they ran everything including all fibre products (excluding vlans) through their Ellacoya boxes.

I guess there is no getting around that. You actually know this as fact?
--
»www.optionsdsl.ca

twizlar
I dont think so.
Premium
join:2003-12-24
Brantford, ON
kudos:3

Thats how it was setup when they bought them, I haven't been in their NOC/Datacenter since we moved our equipment out in Jan 2011. Have you given the hamilton NOC team a call? They used to be pretty helpful with stuff like this.
--
Broadline Networks Inc.