Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

[iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

So whose buying it? For me.. well I am going to pass this time. My factory unlocked 4S well serves the purpose and I might keep it for the next couple of years till it dies on me.

For me the major deal breaker was it's dimensions. It's a bit taller alright (not that tall) but it's not wide enough like the Samsung Galaxy S3.

What are your thoughts on the iPhone 5? Will you be buying it?
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

banditws6
Shrinking Time and Distance
Premium
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

I'm gonna preorder one for my wife, since she has an old 3GS right now. As for myself, I'm not 100% sure. I sent my 4S in to Amazon for a trade value evaluation last week. If I don't get the price I'm hoping for, I may keep it. It currently serves me well. Though LTE would sure be nice...
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Asterix
Premium
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

I believe theoretical LTE speeds are like 100Mbps. I doubt we will see even 50Mbps from GSM based AT&T or CDMA based Sprint/Verizon. Plus data caps add salt to the wound.

I left AT&T a couple of months back due to their data throttling above 3GB on my grandfathered unlimited data plan. Right now on StraightTalk, though not truly unlimited but its way cheaper and uses the same AT&T network.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Asterix

At my office, LTE speeds on AT&T are about 14 down / 8 up. On the 4S's "faux-G", I get about 4 down / 0.75 up.

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the S3's hardware and actually came this close to purchasing one on a no-commit price last week. But I have serious reservations about app equivalents. And my wife is way deep into that whole Apple ecosystem thing...
--
"The counsel of fools is all the more dangerous the more of them there are." -Ólafr Höskuldsson

Black_Mage
Premium
join:2012-09-12
USA
kudos:1
reply to Asterix

How difficult was it to get the iPhone working on Straight Talk?

Duramax08
To The Moon
Premium
join:2008-08-03
San Antonio, TX
reply to Asterix

the iphone 5 looks awesome. i will be in late to work friday morning. shooting for the 32 gb.
--
(Insert political rant here)

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN
reply to Asterix

Ordering it, skipped the 4s. So my 4 is dated at this point.

Expand your moderator at work

Asterix
Premium
Nazareth, PA

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

»www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

My views are similar.

Asterix
Premium
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

Way too easy. You don't even need an unlocked iPhone. Since its the same network you just removed the AT&T micro-sim and pop in he ST micro-sim. A quick browse to a site which installs a simple ST certificate on it to change the APN on it. That's it !

I jailbroke it and did the APN change manually. More fun
--

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

»www.bbc.com/news/technology-19557497

My views are similar.

An article something about not an exciting event. I did a find for the work "junk" and did not find it.

So how is it junk?
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to Anon

said by ptrowski:

Easy tiger.....
Look to our own forum. The general frenzy and sounds of people popping stiffies are not there. So far the general reaction has been "eh".

Please explain how that makes it junk.
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Asterix
Premium
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to banditws6

said by banditws6:

Don't get me wrong, I am in love with the S3's hardware and actually came this close to purchasing one on a no-commit price last week. But I have serious reservations about app equivalents. And my wife is way deep into that whole Apple ecosystem thing...

It's exactly why I haven't yet switched to Android. I am still not sure if the Apps (mostly banking, news and few shopping apps.. no games) are available in Android. I care less for games as I have no interest in them. If all my personal apps are on Android then I will switch to Samsung Galaxy S series.

Honestly speaking, I was a huge Apple fan. But when I analysed everything I saw that they are providing less capable hardware for a premium price. Granted the iOS and Mac OSX are great but for those 2 OS's I am not willing to pay that much of premium for the capable hardware. Stability.. my ass !! iOS and Mac OSX has it's own issues. No OS is perfect. Plus I don't like being controlled and not able to modify something that I have paid a premium price for.

Just my thoughts here..
--

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ

1 recommendation

reply to Asterix

Im really excited for this iPhone. It really packs a punch. I'll be paying to upgrade from my 4S

banditws6
Premium
Frisco, TX
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

It's exactly why I haven't yet switched to Android. I am still not sure if the Apps (mostly banking, news and few shopping apps.. no games) are available in Android. I care less for games as I have no interest in them. If all my personal apps are on Android then I will switch to Samsung Galaxy S series.

I do some gaming on my 4S, so app crossover is an issue. I also do a lot of reading, which is why it pains me that the S3's screen would be so great for reading if not for the fact that every eBook reader app I can find on Google Play looks horrendous or is missing key features I rely on now. I'm also looking for something like GoodReader on Android and am not really finding it so far.

That op-ed article you linked to made the Camry comparison, which struck a chord with me since I am a driving enthusiast and I hate the boring, "transportation appliance" style that cars like the Camry represent. Yet, the fact that I am comfortable with the predictability of my iPhone makes me wonder if it's that I just don't care, or that I haven't yet been exposed to the possibilities.

It's really stupid financially but I am still tempted to go pick up that S3, even if I intend to return it and eat the $35 AT&T restock. If for no other reason than to answer my last question...
--

kaila

join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL
reply to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

Probably easy, but you'd have to live without LTE on Straight Talk as AT&T won't be sharing LTE with anybody for a very long time. If LTE's not important to you, no big deal. Otherwise, Sprint has begun opening up their LTE to MVNO's.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Asterix

most banking, news and shopping apps are on android. They might not have the same cutting edge features that the iOS versions do yet, but they will.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Asterix
Premium
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

1 recommendation

Yes, my take on the apps is the same. They might miss some cutting edge features that iOS versions have. But then again I am thinking of giving Android a chance now, since Apple is not really hearing what the consumers would like.. "a change".

Granted they made a revolutionary product, but that's in the past now. With competitors like Samsung, I believe Apple should compete in fair and up-to-date manner. 4G feature has been on the market for a good time. It never made it in iPhone 4.. and 4G is 4S is a practical joke.. every 4S user knows they are actually on 3G and not 4G. Hey with jailbreak I can customize mine to say 5G or even 10G.. that does not make my iPhone attain blazing internet data speeds... now does it?
--

Asterix
Premium
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to kaila

said by kaila:

said by Black_Mage:

Probably easy, but you'd have to live without LTE on Straight Talk as AT&T won't be sharing LTE with anybody for a very long time. If LTE's not important to you, no big deal. Otherwise, Sprint has begun opening up their LTE to MVNO's.

I presume AT&T will open LTE to other MVNOs as soon as they are fully deployed. LTE is still in its infancy with respects to AT&T network. I give it a year before you can actually find LTE deployed in most areas.

Keep in mind, AT&T does a whole lot of business with MVNOs as a good chunk of their revenue is coming from MVNOs. Its better to lose a customer and see him got to one of thier own MVNOs (as money flows in even then but a bit less) than to lose a customer to Verizon or Sprint.
--

Thinkdiff
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY
kudos:11
reply to Asterix

What exactly is Apple missing?

An even larger screen?
NFC?

I'm curious to know what "change" the consumers are demanding.

Your first post says dimensions.. I don't see a whole lot of people outside of internet tech forums saying "gee, I really wish this iPhone was larger". Apple's reluctance to go with a massive screen is not a downside to most.. it's a good thing.
--
University of Southern California - Fight On!

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

said by Thinkdiff:

An even larger screen?

NFC?

a cutting edge awesome smartphone.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by AVD:

said by Thinkdiff:

An even larger screen?

NFC?

a cutting edge awesome smartphone.

Nice and vague. What makes a smart phone "cutting edge" and "awesome"?
--
♬ Music is life ♬