Premium Member
join:2001-08-18
Frisco, TX

banditws6 to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

said by Asterix:

It's exactly why I haven't yet switched to Android. I am still not sure if the Apps (mostly banking, news and few shopping apps.. no games) are available in Android. I care less for games as I have no interest in them. If all my personal apps are on Android then I will switch to Samsung Galaxy S series.

I do some gaming on my 4S, so app crossover is an issue. I also do a lot of reading, which is why it pains me that the S3's screen would be so great for reading if not for the fact that every eBook reader app I can find on Google Play looks horrendous or is missing key features I rely on now. I'm also looking for something like GoodReader on Android and am not really finding it so far.

That op-ed article you linked to made the Camry comparison, which struck a chord with me since I am a driving enthusiast and I hate the boring, "transportation appliance" style that cars like the Camry represent. Yet, the fact that I am comfortable with the predictability of my iPhone makes me wonder if it's that I just don't care, or that I haven't yet been exposed to the possibilities.

It's really stupid financially but I am still tempted to go pick up that S3, even if I intend to return it and eat the $35 AT&T restock. If for no other reason than to answer my last question...
Expand your moderator at work
kaila
join:2000-10-11
Lincolnshire, IL

kaila to Black_Mage

to Black_Mage

said by Black_Mage:

How difficult was it to get the iPhone working on Straight Talk?

Probably easy, but you'd have to live without LTE on Straight Talk as AT&T won't be sharing LTE with anybody for a very long time. If LTE's not important to you, no big deal. Otherwise, Sprint has begun opening up their LTE to MVNO's.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
most banking, news and shopping apps are on android. They might not have the same cutting edge features that the iOS versions do yet, but they will.

Asterix
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA

1 recommendation

Asterix

Premium Member

Yes, my take on the apps is the same. They might miss some cutting edge features that iOS versions have. But then again I am thinking of giving Android a chance now, since Apple is not really hearing what the consumers would like.. "a change".

Granted they made a revolutionary product, but that's in the past now. With competitors like Samsung, I believe Apple should compete in fair and up-to-date manner. 4G feature has been on the market for a good time. It never made it in iPhone 4.. and 4G is 4S is a practical joke.. every 4S user knows they are actually on 3G and not 4G. Hey with jailbreak I can customize mine to say 5G or even 10G.. that does not make my iPhone attain blazing internet data speeds... now does it?
Asterix

Asterix to kaila

Premium Member

to kaila
said by kaila:

said by Black_Mage:

How difficult was it to get the iPhone working on Straight Talk?

Probably easy, but you'd have to live without LTE on Straight Talk as AT&T won't be sharing LTE with anybody for a very long time. If LTE's not important to you, no big deal. Otherwise, Sprint has begun opening up their LTE to MVNO's.

I presume AT&T will open LTE to other MVNOs as soon as they are fully deployed. LTE is still in its infancy with respects to AT&T network. I give it a year before you can actually find LTE deployed in most areas.

Keep in mind, AT&T does a whole lot of business with MVNOs as a good chunk of their revenue is coming from MVNOs. Its better to lose a customer and see him got to one of thier own MVNOs (as money flows in even then but a bit less) than to lose a customer to Verizon or Sprint.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to Asterix

MVM,

to Asterix
What exactly is Apple missing?

An even larger screen?
NFC?

I'm curious to know what "change" the consumers are demanding.

Your first post says dimensions.. I don't see a whole lot of people outside of internet tech forums saying "gee, I really wish this iPhone was larger". Apple's reluctance to go with a massive screen is not a downside to most.. it's a good thing.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

said by Thinkdiff:

An even larger screen?

NFC?

a cutting edge awesome smartphone.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by AVD:

said by Thinkdiff:

An even larger screen?

NFC?

a cutting edge awesome smartphone.

Nice and vague. What makes a smart phone "cutting edge" and "awesome"?

shadyman777
The Hero of Time
Premium Member
join:2009-03-02
Bath, PA

shadyman777 to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
I'm passing on this too, mainly due to AT&T screwing me over. I early adopt every year. Every year they let me upgrade for a 2 year deal. This year, not so much. They want the commitment price of the phone plus $250 plus activation. Yeah, this phone isn't worth upgrading from a 4S for that price.

Asterix
Premium Member
Nazareth, PA

Asterix to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
You yourself answered some of it

Ask around this forum who doesn't want a screen like the Galaxy S3 .. Not everyone have midget hands. A normal average person can easily hold the Galaxy S3.. its not that huge like the Note

The Galaxy is way thinner, lighter and faster than the iPhone. I am not advocating the Samsung product here.. no ways. I am merely showing whats in the market and what Apple has produced. Users like to see good options to choose from. Not handing out same old thing in slightly different packaging.

Other companies, not just Samsung, have improvised 10 folds in the last 2 years since the iPhone 4 was launched.

What has really changed from iPhone 4 to 4S to 5? 4 had an antenna issue.. (I had first hand experience with that junk), 4S was launched just to save their face from the antenna gate issue (just like Windows 7 came after a failed Vista). Now what has really changed in 5?

I bet .. if iOS were to be ported to the Galaxy S3 today, pretty much every one would be on the Galaxy S3 using iOS rather than the iPhone 5.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix

Apple was once run by a product visionary, now it's run by a bean counter

That pretty much sums it up.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

1 recommendation

Thinkdiff to Asterix

MVM,

to Asterix
I don't want the Galaxy S3 screen. I'm 6'3" with fairly large hands. I don't like carrying large devices in my pockets either, so the big-ass android devices are out of the question for me.

The iPhone 5 is thinner than the S3. It's lighter than the S3. It's most likely faster than the S3 (need to wait for benchmarks on the A6). Android still suffers from lag in the UI (although it is much better) - that's the most important aspect of "speed" on a mobile device for me and most consumers.

So what else is there? NFC? It'll probably come eventually. It's no way mature enough, imo.

The reason why it seems like everybody else is improving their devices so much is because their devices really, really sucked a few years ago. The iPhone didn't. The 3GS was a great phone and the 4 really nailed it. The 4S was an incremental spec upgrade to keep the iPhone lineup fresh. The 5 is arguably about design. Of course they've also made it faster, better camera, LTE, etc, but the design looks to be unmatched. Can't wait to see one in person.

If you're saying the iPhone 5 was not as revolutionary as you expected.. that may be fair. Apple is refining the iPhone, not redefining it. But saying that it's a crap product because it didn't met those crazy expectations - that's what I don't understand.
Thinkdiff

Thinkdiff to Asterix

MVM,

to Asterix
said by Asterix:

I bet .. if iOS were to be ported to the Galaxy S3 today, pretty much every one would be on the Galaxy S3 using iOS rather than the iPhone 5.

I'm sure it would sell much, much better (than the current S3). But what does that say about Android...

MineCoast
Premium Member
join:2004-10-06
Pensacola, FL

1 recommendation

MineCoast to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
I've been an iPhone user for the past 4 years, owning several model's during that time and have always been a die hard iPhone fan, even suggesting it to all my friends and family.

However, I have recently switch to the S3 and couldn't be happier... all my apps are on android and then some. The games i did play on the iPhone are also on android and play much smoother. I'm not trying to troll, just giving my honest output.

I donated my iPhone 4 to my mom and my iPhone 3G to my brother. My brothers iPhone 3G died and my mom, while she is OK with the iPhone, she isn't too crazy about it and doesn't understand iTunes. She is used to just simply dragging and dropping music from one folder to another folder like a flash drive and she names all her songs by using the file name, not the id3 tags.

Asterix
Premium Member
Nazareth, PA

Asterix to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Apple was once run by a product visionary, now it's run by a bean counter

That pretty much sums it up.

Well I partly agree and partly disagree.

If you recollect all the news (not the rumors) when 4S was being released the hype was SJ worked on it during his last days (hence 4 Steve) .. then they changed that to saying he was giving a lot of time working actively on the iPhone 5 which will be revolutionary. The iPhone 5 is not revolutionary and is certainly not a product visioned. Its like bumping up the RAM on my old PC and changing to a little bigger yet the same monitor.

I am not trying to bad mouth Apple here or market for any other company.. it just what I have analysed since last couple of years. I lost all trust in Apple products when I started having the antenna issue with the iPhone 4. Got it replaced thrice but it wasn't my bad luck.. it was actually a bad product. Had hardware issues with Macbooks, iMacs, iPods. So its just not a coincidence. Perfect Apple quality control I would say !
aximr
Premium Member
join:2001-09-28
Wood Ridge, NJ

aximr to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
I'm passing on the 5 and getting an S3. I don't think it is junk, but there isn't anything new here. Apple used to be the one everyone else copied, now Apple is the guy late to the game coping the feature that are on other phones. 4 inch screen is still too small especially with so much streaming media. Every app I need or use is available on android. Oh how the times have change.

Asterix
Premium Member
Nazareth, PA

Asterix to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
said by Thinkdiff:

I'm sure it would sell much, much better (than the current S3). But what does that say about Android...

Android is a very good OS too. I had it on my wife's HTC HD2. Highly configurable and great customization features. I gave her my iPhone 4 later as the HD2 had a bad 12 feet fall from her hands and didn't make it.

A lot of users haven't moved to Android for one good reason.. fear of losing some of the apps they have got attached to. I am one of them. Its a matter of switching and fear of losing something you had got accustomed to.
Asterix

Asterix to aximr

Premium Member

to aximr
said by aximr:

I'm passing on the 5 and getting an S3. I don't think it is junk, but there isn't anything new here. Apple used to be the one everyone else copied, now Apple is the guy late to the game coping the feature that are on other phones. 4 inch screen is still too small especially with so much streaming media. Every app I need or use is available on android. Oh how the times have change.

I am planning to drop by a store today and play more with the S3. Probably will buy an unlocked version by next week
WhyMe420
Premium Member
join:2009-04-06

WhyMe420 to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
Well I'm not going to call the iPhone 5 "junk" but my factory unlocked 4S is all I need. I have it on T-Mobile and T-Mobile's 3g/"4g" speeds are a lot better than AT&T. It might not be LTE but it's all I need. Verizon's LTE isn't much faster than T-Mobile's HSPA+ and AT&T's caps and overages are not for me. Not to mention T-Mobile has actually been more reliable than AT&T for me.
Expand your moderator at work

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix

I have an iPhone 4 and all the updates, and it's been getting slower and slower. I could just wipe it, but I spend a lot of time on my phone during my commute, so I will probably be going for this.

I had my original iPhone for 3 years, so 2 is only slightly more crazy.

gjrhine
join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

gjrhine

said by bobrk:

I have an iPhone 4 and all the updates, and it's been getting slower and slower. I could just wipe it, but I spend a lot of time on my phone during my commute, so I will probably be going for this.

I had my original iPhone for 3 years, so 2 is only slightly more crazy.

"There's a brand new chip: the Apple A6 chip. Twice as fast in CPU and graphics performance. You get 1.5 to 2 times better performances launching Pages, saving images in iPhoto, and loading music."

»www.nbcnews.com/technolo ··· s-994043
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
said by Asterix:

I believe theoretical LTE speeds are like 100Mbps. I doubt we will see even 50Mbps from GSM based AT&T or CDMA based Sprint/Verizon. Plus data caps add salt to the wound.

To be clear, LTE is GSM based. Regardless of the carrier.

I've read about people pulling 50Mbps. But the best I've ever done is a symetrical 35Mbps on my T'bolt.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
How many of you would die if HTC blocks the sale of iPhone and iPad?
Anonymous88

Anonymous88 to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
Apple can't go bigger, they own the rectangle but only the one that's less than 4.3 inches.
Anonymous88

Anonymous88 to Thinkdiff

Premium Member

to Thinkdiff
There is no lag on Android anymore. I don't even have a phone with Jelly Bean but the ICS phone I have is lag-free.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
Unless Apple has disabled it, the Cortex A15 that's inside the A6 is a quadcore processor.That's not too shabby if you ask me.

Midak
Doctors suck
Premium Member
join:2002-02-26
Stormville, NY

Midak to Asterix

Premium Member

to Asterix
I was drooling over this phone until I saw the new port - lightning. I have too many devices in my home, work, car, vacation trailer to waste all that money to just have the latest iPhone. The cable adaptor - which they should be giving away - does not support ipod out..... WTF??? Steve Jobs must be rolling in his grave.