share rss forum feed

MineCoast
Premium
join:2004-10-06
reply to Cheese

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

said by Cheese:

The S3 is amazing...

I completely agree. I was an iPhone owner for over 4 years. owning several different models during that time and switched to an S3 and I don't even look back. I gave my iPhone 4 to my mom and she isn't too fond of it for many different reasons.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
Reviews:
·Northland Cable ..
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

Quick update...I am officially on Android now (Galaxy S3 if you may wanna know ).

I'll alert the Press. Who are you again?
--
Gary in South Carolina --For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Asterix

Tomorrow is the day guys!

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to gjrhine

said by gjrhine:

said by Asterix:

Quick update...I am officially on Android now (Galaxy S3 if you may wanna know ).

A consumer who is not buying a premium priced Apple product just because everyone else is buying for no real good reason.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC

Oh nevermind. They are sticking to their record sales stories.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to gjrhine

said by gjrhine:

said by Asterix:

And who are you? Oh right, somebody on the internet, just like he is

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to MineCoast

I'm tempted to do the same. iOS 6 is such a piece of shit I'm seriously considering refusing my iPhone 5 shipment tomorrow. The bugs I know will eventually get worked out but changes like search in the App Store are permanent and make it unusable for discovering new apps. No decent Youtube app, no street view in maps, the OS is bloated and slow even on my iPad 3. It's a piece of crap.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

the OS is bloated and slow even on my iPad 3

Strange, the OS/UI is teh snappy on my iPad 2.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Desktop page flips are slow, the app store page changes are slow, overall it's sluggish compared to iOS 5, even the mail app runs slower in pulling up message attachments (eg PDFs) that are supposed to already be on the device. They just take too long to open and render. It's frustrating.

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to skeechan

This one is funny

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=nf5-Prx1···youtu.be

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

So Samsung is counter-marketing pointing out that Apple has LINES around the block for its products...way to remind people about the popularity of iPhone, dumbasses! Where did they get their marketing degrees? Crackerjacks?

...methinks Samsung would kill for a product that anyone gave a shit about forget line up around the block for.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ

+1

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
Allendale, NJ
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Sprint Mobile Br..
·Optimum Online
·ooma
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Asterix

Click for full size
Tracking update. Mine has departed Newark Airport

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

So Samsung is counter-marketing pointing out that Apple has LINES around the block for its products...way to remind people about the popularity of iPhone, dumbasses! Where did they get their marketing degrees? Crackerjacks?

...for an already out of date product. I guess that part kinda went over the head. It's a pretty good ad, actually if their target market is for a smartphone enthusiast.

That said, yeah, they're not going to counter the market of people who buy the latest iPhone primarily as a fashion accessory. Maybe they're not gunning for that market.

said by skeechan:

...methinks Samsung would kill for a product that anyone gave a shit about forget line up around the block for.

They're already the top smartphone manufacturer. That, and producing a product that Apple's chomping at the bit to block sales in the states. I'm pretty sure they could give less of a hoot about lines.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

They're not tops in terms of smartphone profits...not remotely close. It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

Meanwhile the ad is REALLY stupid advertising. Consumers aren't receptive to insults in advertising (unless they're already gidiots) and the message is ultimately iPhone is hugely popular, so popular they have lines around the block, and perspective buyers are going to wonder why. They're going to know it isn't about where the headphone jack is.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

the ad is an insult to fanbois.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Which isn't going to lure them to another platform. It is gidiot marketing, and like all things Android, not well thought out.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Wouldn't that be kinda like saying the Macintosh 1984 commercial was gonna lead people to IBM? Because so many people were sitting watching the IBM guy talk and their were soldiers..

Or that they'll stay using IBM or ibm clones, instead of being lured to Macintosh?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

No, the target audience for that Mac commercial in 1984 were people who DIDN'T USE computers AT ALL because they were too complicated or perceived as such. They weren't corporate suits imprisoned by IBM. The target was average folks. Even for IBM users the girl was giving you a way out, that IBM victimized you as a distant tyrant, trapping you in a DOS world. Existing users were the oppressed masses trapped for reasons beyond their control.

Quit different from the Samsung add which would have portrayed users buying IBMs because they were beige and had a new button on the left side of the case instead of the right.

That particular Samsung commercial was idiocy and whoever did it was probably fired as it goes against EVERY lesson in advertising, first being don't insult your target audience. You can insult your rivals, insult rival devices but NEVER the target of your ads.

"Hey you iOS Crayon eating 'tards...get yer dick out of that chicken and try a $200 android handset ya dumbasses"

Samsung needs to sell the device based on its capabilities...in other words, you insult the iPhone device itself just as Apple insulted Windows Vista as being a piece of crap NEVER the users which Samsung did. But in marketing genius, even when insulting Vista...the Hodgeman character was an endearing character. THAT is how you do advertising.

Expand your moderator at work

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Asterix

Samsung blew a great marketing idea. Twice now!!! All they would have had to do was show people getting out of line and buying GSIII's after seeing passerby's using them. Then at the end showing the Caption "The next big thing is already here".
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

"just like iPhone, except faster, bigger and better"
--

Expand your moderator at work

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

Exactly, and show examples of some apps or capabilities NOT AVAILABLE on iPhone, giving them a reason to switch. That is what Apple does with iPad...demo apps.

Samsung is just one of a zillion android handset makers that are all the same. Not only do they need to convince users to switch platforms but after convincing them to do it give them a reason to choose Samsung over Motorola, HTC and everyone else.

Insulting potential customers was just beyond stupid. The recently pulled "Mac Genius" ads did the same thing, portrayed users as idiots needing some snot-nosed dork to hold their hands. In the commercials the customers ALREADY HAD the Mac product yet were too dumb to figure out how to use it. We were just told a few years ago by Justin Long that iMovie is so easy you don't need any help...yet here we are...with software so obtuse and convoluted the user can't figure out how it works without tutoring.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXTzzxiCfPw

Not even a hot Asian chick can save that mess.

If Apple is going to do this, it should be showing the Grand Central Station store or some other beautiful store and that not only is the buying experience top notch but you can get amazing in-person support IF YOU NEED IT...Apple is there before, during and after purchase should have been the message.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

2 edits
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

They're not tops in terms of smartphone profits...not remotely close. It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

And yet, Apple doesn't want me to have the choice of buying them. Samsung is tops in terms of units sold, and there seems to be something spooking Apple about that.

said by skeechan:

Meanwhile the ad is REALLY stupid advertising. Consumers aren't receptive to insults in advertising (unless they're already gidiots) and the message is ultimately iPhone is hugely popular, so popular they have lines around the block, and perspective buyers are going to wonder why. They're going to know it isn't about where the headphone jack is.

Hardware differences are insults? Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see any insults in that flash. Also, what's a gidiot?

And again, it might be me, but I thought the take home message was that people are having lines around the block, waiting for a product that's already under par with existing hardware available today?

said by skeechan:

"Hey you iOS Crayon eating 'tards...get yer dick out of that chicken and try a $200 android handset ya dumbasses"

I have no idea how you took that as the take-home message of Samsung's ad. It sounds like you're way, way too closely invested in your iPhone and are taking smartphone hardware differences personally. No company could make an ad about their product being an improvement without it being "insulting" to you.

said by skeechan:

Which isn't going to lure them to another platform. It is gidiot marketing, and like all things Android, not well thought out.

Pretty sure Samsung's not trying to appeal to fanbois. They're trying to appeal to those who are using a smartphone as a smartphone. There's no way to convert individuals who cannot be open to other technology options.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by Thaler:

Pretty sure Samsung's not trying to appeal to fanbois. They're trying to appeal to those who are using a smartphone as a smartphone. There's no way to convert individuals who cannot be open to other technology options.

this.exactly.this.
--

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:

Samsung blew a great marketing idea. Twice now!!! All they would have had to do was show people getting out of line and buying GSIII's after seeing passerby's using them. Then at the end showing the Caption "The next big thing is already here".

The ad was quite brilliant actually....