join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Asterix

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

Samsung blew a great marketing idea. Twice now!!! All they would have had to do was show people getting out of line and buying GSIII's after seeing passerby's using them. Then at the end showing the Caption "The next big thing is already here".
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

"just like iPhone, except faster, bigger and better"
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Expand your moderator at work

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

Exactly, and show examples of some apps or capabilities NOT AVAILABLE on iPhone, giving them a reason to switch. That is what Apple does with iPad...demo apps.

Samsung is just one of a zillion android handset makers that are all the same. Not only do they need to convince users to switch platforms but after convincing them to do it give them a reason to choose Samsung over Motorola, HTC and everyone else.

Insulting potential customers was just beyond stupid. The recently pulled "Mac Genius" ads did the same thing, portrayed users as idiots needing some snot-nosed dork to hold their hands. In the commercials the customers ALREADY HAD the Mac product yet were too dumb to figure out how to use it. We were just told a few years ago by Justin Long that iMovie is so easy you don't need any help...yet here we are...with software so obtuse and convoluted the user can't figure out how it works without tutoring.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXTzzxiCfPw

Not even a hot Asian chick can save that mess.

If Apple is going to do this, it should be showing the Grand Central Station store or some other beautiful store and that not only is the buying experience top notch but you can get amazing in-person support IF YOU NEED IT...Apple is there before, during and after purchase should have been the message.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3

2 edits
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

They're not tops in terms of smartphone profits...not remotely close. It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

And yet, Apple doesn't want me to have the choice of buying them. Samsung is tops in terms of units sold, and there seems to be something spooking Apple about that.

said by skeechan:

Meanwhile the ad is REALLY stupid advertising. Consumers aren't receptive to insults in advertising (unless they're already gidiots) and the message is ultimately iPhone is hugely popular, so popular they have lines around the block, and perspective buyers are going to wonder why. They're going to know it isn't about where the headphone jack is.

Hardware differences are insults? Maybe I just missed it, but I didn't see any insults in that flash. Also, what's a gidiot?

And again, it might be me, but I thought the take home message was that people are having lines around the block, waiting for a product that's already under par with existing hardware available today?

said by skeechan:

"Hey you iOS Crayon eating 'tards...get yer dick out of that chicken and try a $200 android handset ya dumbasses"

I have no idea how you took that as the take-home message of Samsung's ad. It sounds like you're way, way too closely invested in your iPhone and are taking smartphone hardware differences personally. No company could make an ad about their product being an improvement without it being "insulting" to you.

said by skeechan:

Which isn't going to lure them to another platform. It is gidiot marketing, and like all things Android, not well thought out.

Pretty sure Samsung's not trying to appeal to fanbois. They're trying to appeal to those who are using a smartphone as a smartphone. There's no way to convert individuals who cannot be open to other technology options.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by Thaler:

Pretty sure Samsung's not trying to appeal to fanbois. They're trying to appeal to those who are using a smartphone as a smartphone. There's no way to convert individuals who cannot be open to other technology options.

this.exactly.this.
--

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to not quite right

said by not quite right:

Samsung blew a great marketing idea. Twice now!!! All they would have had to do was show people getting out of line and buying GSIII's after seeing passerby's using them. Then at the end showing the Caption "The next big thing is already here".

The ad was quite brilliant actually....

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to AVD

You can convert anyone if you SHOW them reason to and those reasons are compelling to those particular users. Hell, I have 3 android devices and if Asus can sell ME on a $700 Android tablet anyone can be sold on one. People who use smartphones as smartphones don't buy into the iOS hype, Samsung was preaching to the choir. That ad was telling the hundred million+ iOS users why wait when you could have an S3 now but gave zero reason to do so in addition to insulting them.

iOS users I know figure android is the same shit just a different smell but they are wowed when shown my 1080P Transformer and stellar dock....compelling hardware they had no idea existed...a tablet with a mousing option, 2 SD slots, USB and 14HR battery life. When asked about iTunes Match I mention Google Play...it's a marketing problem Android device makers have. They're selling people on the wrong stuff.

This is how you do an S3 ad

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ci2QQdo-c4E

Chop it into pieces and run them all.

Riamen
Premium
join:2002-11-04
Calgary

1 edit
reply to Asterix

Just to add fuel to the fire. Looks like the iPhone 5 beats the Samsung Galaxy S III in drop tests.

»www.androidauthority.com/iphone-···-116898/

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

waste of money.

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to skeechan

I LOVED that ad.. the shots were really touching. Though I couldn't understand the language I could easily understand what the shots meant. Brilliant !!
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

said by Asterix:

Though I couldn't understand the language I could easily understand what the shots meant. Brilliant !!

all you had to do was look in the lower RH corner.
--

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

That ad was telling the hundred million+ iOS users why wait when you could have an S3 now but gave zero reason to do so in addition to insulting them.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2y8Sx4B2Sk

Again, nobody else knows how you're taking Samsung's "The future is now" commercial as an insult.

AVD
Premium
Onion, NJ

if anything is an insult to the applrati its iOS6 with its Apple Maps flagship.
--

Expand your moderator at work

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

1 recommendation

reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

What folks don't understand is that... there is actually nothing new in the iPhone since last 4 years. The iOS is the same and is not changing. If you remember till iOS 2 (or Apple OS that time) it didn't have the simplest option of basic copy/paste. Through the years Apple is just patching what they first came out with iOS back in 2007. Hardware is 2 years behind present competition. Apple calls its perfection.. I call it BS.

They are marketing some stupid processing speeds. In my point of view its again all BS. I held my old iPhone 4S and Galaxy S3 side by side.. and trust me the S3 is eons ahead of the iPhone.

What apple does best is market and put fake news on all news websites about its latest gadget as out performing all expectations and other BS. It took me a while to compare what I saw and what I got in the end. The S3 was a no brainer after that.

It's amazing what you see when you set down your iPhone, isn't it?

Not downing on people who genuinely took the time to compare the Android and iOS experiences on both phones and tablets separately (because iOS is the clear winner on a tablet) and still chose the iPhone; they evaluated their options and felt that the iPhone was best for them. But anyone who sticks to "iPhone is t3h b34st, android is t3h crap" but has never actually compared a *high-end* Android phone to a (supposedly) *high-end* iPhone, well, they're entitled to their malformed opinion, I guess.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

They're not tops in terms of smartphone profits...not remotely close. It's not what you make, it's what you keep.

They're selling a phone people want, at the same price as their competitor. They're making less because they're putting more into it.

They could be just as profitable as Apple (moreso, because they have more sales) if they dumbed down their product line, sure.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

No they couldn't. Dumbing down the product line won't increase margins because would have to dumb down the price. They have tons of already dumbed down Android handset competitors (those that sell the free handsets).

Samsung is in the same position as Dell and it is hard to make fat margins when you are a Dell. To sell crap you have to price it accordingly. To sell expensive you have to have a good gimmick, exclusivity or a rabid fanbase.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to Asterix

i thought this junk thread was dead.

BronsCon

Walnut Creek, CA
reply to skeechan

Uhm... So how does Apple get away with it?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Exclusivity and integration mainly with a topping of rabid fan base...the type of topping that completely covers up everything underneath. The cost of that integration is control. In order to have things run smoothly (maps aside) the manufacturer needs vertical control of the platform and Apple has that. We see what happens to the platform when there isn't that control such as Cydia which "works" but is a convoluted mess of horrid integration, poor OS support (like lack of multitasking which I need in order to paste passwords) and no uniformity in how apps function or their quality.

Android is the middle ground between quality of the user experience and control. Android gives users much more customization options (such as choosing your launcher and themes) but I have found the cost is in stability and uniformity of function. My Android devices generally aren't as stable, the apps don't have the same QC and the user experience more "jumbled" in that apps don't function predictably (you have to learn how each one works).

For me it's exclusivity and integration with the services I use most (eg iTunes Match) and I have a hard on for build quality. I'm one of those that appreciates the detail in engineering like a fine hand assembled wristwatch. Digital watches may have more features and do more stuff but there is something about a mechanical watch that is way cool.

As a daily user of both Android and iOS, I use a car analogy.

Android is a 1LE Camaro or Mustang GT500...STUPID fast, huge power, uber capable, maybe not the same build quality but damn who cares, it's STUPID fast and does what driver NEEDS it to do. And if 600HP isn't enough, you can put even more crazy power to it should you want to put in that effort and you would have factory support in doing it.

iOS is an M3...more about user experience than big horsepower, more about the connection to that experience than customization. The M3 (while is can be customized) is generally the way people want it from the dealership and aside from tint aren't really likely to mess with it too much nor do they have to desire to. It's more refined, smoother, smoother on power, better 'connected', unlike any other experience (I've had lots of sedans but nothing gives me the joy I get from my 535i and I've driven a CTS-V...talk about stupid power!).

You can immediately see the difference I'm trying to describe. Each car services a different need of user experience and not always it is about the lap time but HOW the car goes around the track, HOW it behaves.

As much as I respect the 1LE Camaro or CTS-V I prefer an M3 or M5. And you will find no shortage of people saying choosing an M5 over a CTS-V is stupid and vice versa.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Asterix

iPhone 5 has arrived

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to skeechan

What's exclusive to an iPhone besides some games? I run the same apps as my iOS using friends. I know they paid a lot more for their phone, but that's not usually what exclusivity is about.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

said by Thaler:

What's exclusive to an iPhone besides some games? I run the same apps as my iOS using friends. I know they paid a lot more for their phone, but that's not usually what exclusivity is about.

I dig itunes match.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

What folks don't understand is that... there is actually nothing new in the iPhone since last 4 years. The iOS is the same and is not changing. If you remember till iOS 2 (or Apple OS that time) it didn't have the simplest option of basic copy/paste. Through the years Apple is just patching what they first came out with iOS back in 2007. Hardware is 2 years behind present competition. Apple calls its perfection.. I call it BS.

They are marketing some stupid processing speeds. In my point of view its again all BS. I held my old iPhone 4S and Galaxy S3 side by side.. and trust me the S3 is eons ahead of the iPhone.

What apple does best is market and put fake news on all news websites about its latest gadget as out performing all expectations and other BS. It took me a while to compare what I saw and what I got in the end. The S3 was a no brainer after that.

IPhone 5 Benchmarked: The Fastest Smartphone in the Land
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

A lot more apps, mostly useless, a fashion design where people come up to you and say, 'wow, that's the newest iphone?' (Seriously, that happened once when I had my 4s), and you have the joys of having brothers who more or less resemble Jim Jones followers from Jonestown, and don't you dare say a bad thing abot the almighty Jobs or you will become an OUTCAST !

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Majestik

Of course it's the fastest. I can boot Windows 95 in 5 secs with the latest processor. That does not mean I have the fastest PC. iOS is outdated. All Apple is trying to do is add more CPU power to keep up with the rest. iPhone 3GS will run iOS 6 too. Don't you get it. There is nothing new.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !