AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to BronsCon

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

No they couldn't. Dumbing down the product line won't increase margins because would have to dumb down the price. They have tons of already dumbed down Android handset competitors (those that sell the free handsets).

Samsung is in the same position as Dell and it is hard to make fat margins when you are a Dell. To sell crap you have to price it accordingly. To sell expensive you have to have a good gimmick, exclusivity or a rabid fanbase.

gjrhine

join:2001-12-12
Pawleys Island, SC
reply to Asterix

i thought this junk thread was dead.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
reply to skeechan

Uhm... So how does Apple get away with it?

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Exclusivity and integration mainly with a topping of rabid fan base...the type of topping that completely covers up everything underneath. The cost of that integration is control. In order to have things run smoothly (maps aside) the manufacturer needs vertical control of the platform and Apple has that. We see what happens to the platform when there isn't that control such as Cydia which "works" but is a convoluted mess of horrid integration, poor OS support (like lack of multitasking which I need in order to paste passwords) and no uniformity in how apps function or their quality.

Android is the middle ground between quality of the user experience and control. Android gives users much more customization options (such as choosing your launcher and themes) but I have found the cost is in stability and uniformity of function. My Android devices generally aren't as stable, the apps don't have the same QC and the user experience more "jumbled" in that apps don't function predictably (you have to learn how each one works).

For me it's exclusivity and integration with the services I use most (eg iTunes Match) and I have a hard on for build quality. I'm one of those that appreciates the detail in engineering like a fine hand assembled wristwatch. Digital watches may have more features and do more stuff but there is something about a mechanical watch that is way cool.

As a daily user of both Android and iOS, I use a car analogy.

Android is a 1LE Camaro or Mustang GT500...STUPID fast, huge power, uber capable, maybe not the same build quality but damn who cares, it's STUPID fast and does what driver NEEDS it to do. And if 600HP isn't enough, you can put even more crazy power to it should you want to put in that effort and you would have factory support in doing it.

iOS is an M3...more about user experience than big horsepower, more about the connection to that experience than customization. The M3 (while is can be customized) is generally the way people want it from the dealership and aside from tint aren't really likely to mess with it too much nor do they have to desire to. It's more refined, smoother, smoother on power, better 'connected', unlike any other experience (I've had lots of sedans but nothing gives me the joy I get from my 535i and I've driven a CTS-V...talk about stupid power!).

You can immediately see the difference I'm trying to describe. Each car services a different need of user experience and not always it is about the lap time but HOW the car goes around the track, HOW it behaves.

As much as I respect the 1LE Camaro or CTS-V I prefer an M3 or M5. And you will find no shortage of people saying choosing an M5 over a CTS-V is stupid and vice versa.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1
reply to Asterix

iPhone 5 has arrived

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to skeechan

What's exclusive to an iPhone besides some games? I run the same apps as my iOS using friends. I know they paid a lot more for their phone, but that's not usually what exclusivity is about.

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN

said by Thaler:

What's exclusive to an iPhone besides some games? I run the same apps as my iOS using friends. I know they paid a lot more for their phone, but that's not usually what exclusivity is about.

I dig itunes match.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

What folks don't understand is that... there is actually nothing new in the iPhone since last 4 years. The iOS is the same and is not changing. If you remember till iOS 2 (or Apple OS that time) it didn't have the simplest option of basic copy/paste. Through the years Apple is just patching what they first came out with iOS back in 2007. Hardware is 2 years behind present competition. Apple calls its perfection.. I call it BS.

They are marketing some stupid processing speeds. In my point of view its again all BS. I held my old iPhone 4S and Galaxy S3 side by side.. and trust me the S3 is eons ahead of the iPhone.

What apple does best is market and put fake news on all news websites about its latest gadget as out performing all expectations and other BS. It took me a while to compare what I saw and what I got in the end. The S3 was a no brainer after that.

IPhone 5 Benchmarked: The Fastest Smartphone in the Land
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

A lot more apps, mostly useless, a fashion design where people come up to you and say, 'wow, that's the newest iphone?' (Seriously, that happened once when I had my 4s), and you have the joys of having brothers who more or less resemble Jim Jones followers from Jonestown, and don't you dare say a bad thing abot the almighty Jobs or you will become an OUTCAST !

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Majestik

Of course it's the fastest. I can boot Windows 95 in 5 secs with the latest processor. That does not mean I have the fastest PC. iOS is outdated. All Apple is trying to do is add more CPU power to keep up with the rest. iPhone 3GS will run iOS 6 too. Don't you get it. There is nothing new.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
reply to Majestik

gTrolls...to keyboards, to keyboards!

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

No offense skeechan, but people are you are exactly what I'm talking about. How exactly are you a google troll if you correctly identify that ios has a bunch of icons that move left and right while android uses 3d elements, widgets, just a couple things that add extra cpu usage, gpu usage, and ram usage?

You really want to say that an operating system that uses very little memory, cpu, and gpu usage doesn't have a benchmarking advantage? Even if you don't add anything android is already using more by default.

Majestik
World Traveler
Premium
join:2001-05-11
Tulsa, OK
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

Of course it's the fastest. I can boot Windows 95 in 5 secs with the latest processor. That does not mean I have the fastest PC. iOS is outdated. All Apple is trying to do is add more CPU power to keep up with the rest. iPhone 3GS will run iOS 6 too. Don't you get it. There is nothing new.

Though everyone like things faster.
You guys are so uptight over these phones. It's really not worth the effort.
You've paid for Apple products in the past and moved on.
Just buy the phone you like. Use and enjoy it. Enjoy the ride if you own the stock. I sure am.
Thought it was interesting and posted. I don't look that deep into it.
I keep grandfathered unlimited on my att $30/mo Ipad and cellphone and I'm good.

I might go to the AT&T store later today And check out these phones after I do some gardening this morning.
--
The adventure continues...Sanctuary....

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to rugby

said by rugby:

said by Thaler:

I dig itunes match.

Amazon MP3. Runs both on iOS and Android and has the same matching service available.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Majestik

said by Majestik:

Just buy the phone you like. Use and enjoy it.

I'd love to, but Apple doesn't want to let me.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Asterix

said by Asterix:

iPhone 3GS will run iOS 6 too. Don't you get it. There is nothing new.

Well, except for the navigation. Of course, gas stations atop of buildings might just be a new feature.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to Asterix

New TV Ads

»www.apple.com/iphone/videos/#tv-ads-ears

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

4 edits
reply to Metatron2008

Because no one in ALL THINGS MAC gives two squirts of piss about Android or discussing Android. That is what the Android forum is for.

You want to shill for Google, by all means, but that is the appropriate place for it.

You don't see ATM users trolling the Android forum doing nothing but slamming Android do you? I could fire off 10 threads a day in the Android forum, piss in everyone's Cherri-Os about the problems with Android or the endless ways I think it sucks wang but that is the difference between iOS users here and Android users here. I go to the Android forums for HELP with Android and am respectful of people's choices there whether I would make the same ones or not. I don't piss on their parade like you endlessly do here.

SOME Android users think it is their mission to shill for Google anywhere and everywhere. And yeah, Apple users will shill for Apple, but they do it in the Apple fanboy isheep circlejerk that is ATM...not trolling TAF pointing out how your S3 is a plastic shitbox.

So give the gTrolling a rest, it's getting old. Don't like iOS, iPhones, or logos, or Apple marketing, or anything else Cupertino does, awesome...but no one here gives a shit.

FFH
Premium
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ
kudos:5
reply to Asterix

iPhone5 beats all comers in browser & system & graphics benchmarks:
»www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2410034,00.asp
--
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-platform_home/
»www.gop.com/2012-republican-plat···onalism/

rugby
I think I know it all.
VIP
join:2000-09-26
Plainfield, IN
reply to Thaler

said by Thaler:

said by rugby:

said by Thaler:

I dig itunes match.

Amazon MP3. Runs both on iOS and Android and has the same matching service available.

Maybe, but getting the wife and kids to use it isn't worth the hassle. iTunes Match just works for the most part.
Expand your moderator at work

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to rugby

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

said by rugby:

Maybe, but getting the wife and kids to use it isn't worth the hassle. iTunes Match just works for the most part.

Not sure what the difference is - seen both in action actually. Have music collection, iTunes/Amazon finds what you has, matches to what it has available, and boom.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to rugby

Amazon, like Google Music Manager, won't upload or transcode ALAC. While it says ALAC support, that is only for matching purposes, meaning if your ripped a Stones CD to ALAC and it happens to be in their catalog, you'll get matched with a lossy 256k mp3 but if it is an ALAC of something not in the store, you're screwed with 1/2 empty playlists, at least that is what I got with Amazon's importer.

iTunes Match will transcode and upload ALAC if not matched. Given ALAC is open source there is a snowball's chance of getting support in the distant future but for now iTunes match is all there is aside from transcoding and creating a duplicate library to support the few shortcomings in Google Music Manager and Amazon Music importer.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Ah. I've just always kept my collection in the universal MP3 format, or whatever OSS codecs that releases have been in the past couple years. Given that ALAC went OSS & royalty-free less than a year ago, that can explain why I've never encountered that problem within my collection.

UberNuub
Premium
join:2005-03-20
Wonderland
reply to Asterix

I'm going to pass, LTE speeds are sweet but the size i don't like at all. I'd rather have it wider than taller. I have had 4 for 2 years and i guess i'll get 4S.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

is upgrading from 4 to 4s really worth it?
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Some stuff like panorama, turn-by-turn, flyover and other stuff only runs on 4S and 5. 3GS and 4 didn't get all of the iOS6 stuff. That is why on my 4 I'm not seeing any point in moving from iOS5 to 6...I just ended up losing the native Youtube app and gaining a lot of nothing.

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE

Also keep in mind, the iphone 5 speed test is like comparing apples and oranges. The A6 processor was not run with Android installed.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Yeah, need app to app comparisons like Photoshop on OS X and Windows so see how in the real world both are.

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Or just handicap ios. Set it to run at the same cpu, gpu, and ram level as android before testing.