Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
kudos:3
reply to rugby

Re: [iPhone] iPhone 5 - Most anticipated and expensive junk

said by rugby:

Maybe, but getting the wife and kids to use it isn't worth the hassle. iTunes Match just works for the most part.

Not sure what the difference is - seen both in action actually. Have music collection, iTunes/Amazon finds what you has, matches to what it has available, and boom.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to rugby
Amazon, like Google Music Manager, won't upload or transcode ALAC. While it says ALAC support, that is only for matching purposes, meaning if your ripped a Stones CD to ALAC and it happens to be in their catalog, you'll get matched with a lossy 256k mp3 but if it is an ALAC of something not in the store, you're screwed with 1/2 empty playlists, at least that is what I got with Amazon's importer.

iTunes Match will transcode and upload ALAC if not matched. Given ALAC is open source there is a snowball's chance of getting support in the distant future but for now iTunes match is all there is aside from transcoding and creating a duplicate library to support the few shortcomings in Google Music Manager and Amazon Music importer.

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
Ah. I've just always kept my collection in the universal MP3 format, or whatever OSS codecs that releases have been in the past couple years. Given that ALAC went OSS & royalty-free less than a year ago, that can explain why I've never encountered that problem within my collection.

UberNuub
Premium
join:2005-03-20
Wonderland
reply to Asterix
I'm going to pass, LTE speeds are sweet but the size i don't like at all. I'd rather have it wider than taller. I have had 4 for 2 years and i guess i'll get 4S.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
kudos:1
is upgrading from 4 to 4s really worth it?
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
Some stuff like panorama, turn-by-turn, flyover and other stuff only runs on 4S and 5. 3GS and 4 didn't get all of the iOS6 stuff. That is why on my 4 I'm not seeing any point in moving from iOS5 to 6...I just ended up losing the native Youtube app and gaining a lot of nothing.

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
Also keep in mind, the iphone 5 speed test is like comparing apples and oranges. The A6 processor was not run with Android installed.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Yeah, need app to app comparisons like Photoshop on OS X and Windows so see how in the real world both are.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state
Or just handicap ios. Set it to run at the same cpu, gpu, and ram level as android before testing.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
reply to AVD
I think the 4S is better than the 4

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to Metatron2008
compared to the S3 that would be an upgrade.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--

Asterix
Premium
join:2002-09-18
Nazareth, PA
Reviews:
·RCN CABLE
reply to Jackarino
said by Jackarino:

I think the 4S is better than the 4

I had the 4 and the 4S. The only difference I ever noticed was the resolution of the dreaded antenna issue. My 4 was prone to continuous dropped calls and the only way I could use it was through a bluetooth headset. That was the only reason I went for the 4S, that too I waited for 3 good months to ensure it didn't behave like the 4.. plus Galaxy S3 wasn't launched that time.

CPU processing is a bit quicker on the 4S but no mind blowing speeds.

If you are looking to save money then yes from a 4 going to a 4S is a better option than the 5.
--
Never argue with an idiot. They’ll drag you down to their level and beat you through experience !