how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to JohnInSJ

Re: [WIN7] Google Search Results Hijacked..

Are you trolling or just nagging? Malware gets installed on Windows all the time. Malware can't get installed on *nix without proper permissions. That's what I'm saying.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by howardfine:

That's what I'm finally getting around to saying.

Fixed it for you.
--
♬ Music is life ♬

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
San Jose, CA
reply to howardfine

said by howardfine:

Are you trolling or just nagging? Malware gets installed on Windows all the time. Malware can't get installed on *nix without proper permissions. That's what I'm saying.

And only if you disable UAC on windows. Which I always reply to this FUD with. That's what I am saying.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us
Expand your moderator at work

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON

1 recommendation

reply to dolphins

Re: [WIN7] Google Search Results Hijacked..

said by dolphins:

Hmmm... I read the reddit-link provided an noticed the user claims to have NoScript but was still clickjacked?

Hi there, I posted that reddit thread. To clarify, I didn't have NoScript installed at the time the malicious extension somehow got installed. I installed it afterwards and the redirects did indeed occur even with NoScript active, since it wasn't a script on a page causing the problem but part of an extension, and NoScript won't block an extension.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Comcast

Thanks for the follow up it does clear up a few things. I don't think it was a clickjack I think someone mistakenly installed it on the OPs machine? I can't understand how the incoming events would get past Avast but it blocks the outgoing events?
--
Stop The Mindless Killings Stop Over Fishing

howardfine

join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO
reply to Rob

quote:
And only if you disable UAC on windows. Which I always reply to this FUD with.
And so we read about malware with IE on Windows even with UAC on which proves my point.