Search similar:

uniqs
jcremin
join:2009-12-22
Siren, WI

jcremin

UBNT EdgeMax

»www.ubnt.com/edgemax

Anyone think these things will be a viable replacement for Mikrotik/Cisco/Etc for edge routers? After the last 5 years with Mikrotik functionality, I have a hard time believing anyone else will be able to beat the feature-set value Mikrotik provides, even if the cost for hardware was the same...
urmom
Premium Member
join:2010-10-18
Pittsburg, KS

urmom

Premium Member

I think that maybe at first they won't be, but eventually, its a possibility.

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT to jcremin

to jcremin
Bleeding edge gear = bleeding cut fingers.
jcremin
Siren, WI

jcremin to urmom

to urmom
said by urmom:

I think that maybe at first they won't be, but eventually, its a possibility.

I guess I could see that. They look awesome for the price (like most UBNT stuff does) but UBNT has never had the level of troubleshooting availability that MT does. The logging in MT is nice, plus tools like torch can help track down goofy traffic issues. Far from "core functionality" but important enough that I don't think I'd give up those tools at my core regardless of cost. I could see getting by without them at remote tower sites, etc.

I guess we'll have to wait and see how they do!

WHT
join:2010-03-26
Rosston, TX

WHT

said by jcremin:

I guess we'll have to wait and see how they do!

The best advice.
Airnode
join:2006-09-01
Germany

Airnode to jcremin

to jcremin
replacement for MT uum yes possible at some point after they added some features over the time.

replacement for Cisco well depends on what we talk about ? a 2821 sure thats not hard to kik if you only compare pps..the bigger irons nope never.

replacement for juniper like the J Series ore the E Series simply forget it no way

Ubnt has published a report from tolly look here »www.ubnt.com/downloads/T ··· ance.pdf

thats simply a joke everybode who ever used a C3925 ore a J6350 knows what i'm talking about and starts LHAO as soon as he look on this paper.

so again yep may a good alternative at some point but not as adverticed.
thewisperer
Premium Member
join:2008-01-16

1 recommendation

thewisperer to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
not a replacement for anything until other products become available and are bug free:

gps....titanium models.....ac2....mfi....
jcremin
Siren, WI

1 recommendation

jcremin

said by thewisperer:

not a replacement for anything until other products become available and are bug free:

gps....titanium models.....ac2....mfi....

Thanks kind of what I was thinking... UBNT seems to be releasing a ton of new products that seem to never ship, or if they do ship have a lot of bugs that take forever to get worked out.

I wish they would slow down and get all of their current products stable before they release anything else.
LLigetfa
join:2006-05-15
Fort Frances, ON

LLigetfa

said by jcremin:

I wish they would slow down and get all of their current products stable before they release anything else.

+1

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
Yea if anyone cares I couldn't put such a new product at my core/edge. Mikrotik is pretty powerful stuff for the price. It would need a lot of proving itself.
iansltx
join:2007-02-19
Austin, TX

iansltx to jcremin

to jcremin
Say what you will about functionality or performance. They have an epic product spiff video.

In all seriousness though, I may do the scary stupid thing of attempting to build an all-Ubnt network (ToughSwitches, Titanium Rockets, EdgeMax routers, NanoBridge CPEs, ToughCable...and non-Ubnt home routers) relatively soon. Kind of like what Sirhc wants to do eventually, but with a lot less at stake. I have to continue poking at my potential bandwidth provider before this happens, though.

treich
join:2006-12-12

treich to jcremin

to jcremin
Well I am going all out Ubnt network anyways but for now until these routers get into place I am going with mikrotik and pfsense.
Chele
join:2003-07-23

Chele to jcremin

to jcremin
With its track record, just imagine you taking a hit to the network's core and looking for UBNT gear when you are in a crunch--yes you should have a spare of everything, but with UBNT you need to have three spares of everything because it might take you a while to get what you need. Our core router is a 1u x86 server with an identical twin ready to go. I know I can get a MTK overnighted if I had the need for it, UBNT=maybe! The problem with UBNT is its reputation, not the gear.

treich

treich to jcremin

to jcremin
The issue with ubnt is the supply and from what I was told by Justin and some other good ppl its been like this for years. I wish they can get it fix but "They aka Ubnt" said they have it fix for now but wait until these routers get out then everybody will be sold out then it will be long time before anybody gets back in stock.

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium Member
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON

Inssomniak to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
no MPLS? Cant buy it.
OHSrob
join:2011-06-08

1 edit

OHSrob to jcremin

to jcremin
I don't think this will ever replace Cisco in my core network prehaps at the tower's a pppoe relay since it is running Debian this would be effortless to setup and configure.

That said if it has this has a marvel or broadcom SOC and the network interfaces are not realtek or atheros (And not an just integrated switch like consumer routers use) I may consider this product for deployment at towers within the next year or so.

That said I just fear this is another low super quality low budget product like the the routerstation and routerstation pro that completely fail to deliver on promises and expectations for performance due to the budget constraints ubiquiti imposes only on themselves to try to make sure they have the lowest cost solution because they would rather make something cheep then revolutionary.

For example I had a 266mhz gateworks xscale board with 50 client's and 2 XR2's in it at the previous wisp I worked at. (Gateworks boards are the best designed platforms I have ever worked with).

The CPU hardly ever budged above 3-5% as the integrated intel network card had hardware support for ack's as well as checksums. in XR mode with short preamble and WMM disabled I could push 28megabit's with a 54 megabit rate.

Now when I went to upgrade this to a routerstation pro, I ran into issues.
The RS pro somehow to do the exact same thing needed least 50%+ of its cpu when underload and I was seeing less throughput to the AP in 20mhz G mode only approximately 20 megabit's with the same rates and noise.

I also do not really trust ubiquiti to engineer the cooling properly either anymore, For example the second generation rocket M radio's without the heatsinks for me have had a VERY high failure rate (1 out of every 8 I deploy fails within 1.5 years to the point where uboot won't even load anymore 100% bricked and just out of warranty everytime).

But the old ones with the USB port's and heatsinks have had zero issues ever and ive had some still in service since 2010.

Ubiquiti has to work really hard and prove this is not just a waste of my money, They can prove to me by showing me the hardware and letting me decide. I do not care about packets per second numbers.

That said I really do like how it is Debian based.
voxframe
join:2010-08-02

voxframe to jcremin

to jcremin
LMAO!!!! Replacement for what exactly???

MT? Yeah right.

Ubnt can't even get their existing hardware to run properly, half of their "projects" have never been completed, or get EOLed before they become stable/useful.

Just another one of their mFads that will fade away.

LOL Ubnt, build us something we NEED. Not something we're quite happy with other vendors that offer it at a price you can't hope to touch.

treich

1 edit

treich to jcremin

to jcremin
After talking to Matt Hardy more via email he was able help me more about how this router is going to work about routing and natting and I got screenshots of it.
Bnetwifi
join:2012-08-23

Bnetwifi to jcremin

to jcremin
I cant wait to play with some of these.

Assume the firmware will have many possibilities.

Lets Rock N Roll - Ubiquiti
gunther_01
Premium Member
join:2004-03-29
Saybrook, IL

1 recommendation

gunther_01 to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
What are you really supposed to do with a 3 port router?
OHSrob

OHSrob

said by gunther_01:

What are you really supposed to do with a 3 port router?

Use 802.1q to trunk it to your switch if you increase your MTU by 5 bytes it will compensate for the additional framing overhead.

Garbage Integrated switches are super lame many don't even do jumbo frames and if this had it I doubt anyone would ever take this seriously.
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
I'm talking in the area of a POP that may be routed. I have many more network devices in my networks than 3 at each site. 3 ports would only take care of the routed backhauls. I don't particularly want to have a full rack mount sized device 200 feet in the air in an enclosure on a roof deck.

This is why these products really aren't that special compared to things already on the market. a 3 port router?? For WISP use?? Yeah, not really useful for most of us
OHSrob

OHSrob

said by gunther_01:

I'm talking in the area of a POP that may be routed. I have many more network devices in my networks than 3 at each site. 3 ports would only take care of the routed backhauls. I don't particularly want to have a full rack mount sized device 200 feet in the air in an enclosure on a roof deck.

This is why these products really aren't that special compared to things already on the market. a 3 port router?? For WISP use?? Yeah, not really useful for most of us

I don't know about the other wisp's here but ever single networking device in my network is rackmountable. If I did buy this product it would not replace a single switch for me.

I require the full cisco feature set for my switch's from dhcp snooping, port-security and ARP inspection. Other vendors do not support all of these features.

Non-rack mountable switch's rarely support anything even if they are managed.
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to jcremin

Premium Member

to jcremin
I'm not sure why you are even bringing up "switch's". These aren't switches, they are routers. And in my context I was talking about route-able ports. Not switched.

You are quite lucky to have the space, power, and accessibility for rack mount gear. A lot of wisp's do not. I have one rack, and that's at my head end. Everything else is small form factor, mounted hundreds of feet off the ground, or in small enclosures just big enough for POE's, battery backup, switches and or routers.

At half of my sites if I wanted a rack mount enclosure, it would involve a crane to get it there.
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

My guess is that Ubnt wants you to use an EdgeMax for routing in the instances where you need a router, and a ToughSwitch for switching since it builds in PoE.

treich

treich to jcremin

to jcremin
see with the 5 port toughswitch it can only power upto 24V so you probably cant go past 100ft with that but with the 8 port toughswitch is 24/48V is probably good past 100ft tower installs.

either way I am looking at each tower I am going have 1 edgemax and 2 5 port toughswitch and why I say that is because I can use one toughswitch for the rockets/sectors and the other one for backhaul if I need to setup a other tower from that tower point.
join:2011-04-18

Why would 24V only go 100'? Or do you mean 100 meters?

treich

treich to jcremin

to jcremin
my bad 100 meters is 328 ft
iansltx
Austin, TX

iansltx

...which is about the limit for Ethernet over copper anyway...
gunther_01
Premium Member
Saybrook, IL

gunther_01 to treich

Premium Member

to treich
said by treich:

either way I am looking at each tower I am going have 1 edgemax and 2 5 port toughswitch and why I say that is because I can use one toughswitch for the rockets/sectors and the other one for backhaul if I need to setup a other tower from that tower point.

I wouldn't set up my backhauls in a bridged fashion. That's why I need more routed ports. I don't like switches all over the place. It's one more piece to fail. And if you've done this for a while you will understand that one pretty well LOL.

In another case, you could have your BH's all in a toughswitch or any other brand, and one bad port take the whole switch offline. At least to some degree, with a routed design you don't have flaky switches injecting strange things in to your back bone when there are errors on one port.

The little edgemax just doesn't have a place that will fit for me. The big ones are too big. So MT will keep that business, or another SFF router with more than 3 ports.