join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

iPhone 5 - Quest for a case

I have an iPhone 4.
»www.amazon.com/iPhone-Ca ··· 044Z72YE

That thing is a tank. I emailed Cast-Mate and the person said it won't exist for iPhone 5.

However I don't see hip cases anywhere. Too soon?

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Yea, too soon. Now that dimensions are available with the official announcement (and likely some provision for aftermarket to get the detail they need to do what they do), cases and such will come along as soon as practical from a manufacturing standpoint. Folks who upgrade to the new device right away will likely have to wait.

I've had to do the holster dance with my iPhone 4 for a long time...I use a thin CaseMate polycarbonate case on mine and getting holsters that would handle that has always been a challenge with few choices.

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

»www.otterbox.com/iPhone- ··· ,pd.html
Otterbox looks pretty good. $50? ouch.

»www.marware.com/c-e-o-pr ··· r-wallet
Marware case, which I had for my 3G fell apart in about 2 months each so they're pretty trash.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg

Premium Member

IMO the Defender is massive overkill unless you work in an industrial environment.

evilt00l
join:2003-03-20
Winchester, KY

evilt00l

Or have kids...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Or use it as a Shuriken...

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to alg

MVM

to alg
said by alg:

IMO the Defender is massive overkill unless you work in an industrial environment.

Yup, you can get the 'thinnest cellphone in the world' and turn it in to a rubber brick with an Otterbox for just $50, lol.

I never quite understood that.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk

Premium Member

said by Nezmo:

said by alg:

Yup, you can get the 'thinnest cellphone in the world' and turn it in to a rubber brick with an Otterbox for just $50, lol.

I never quite understood that.

Word. I ran mine with a case for quite some time, but now run it nude.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Nezmo

Premium Member

to Nezmo
Its bulletproof and the same thickness as a regular handset.
Liberty
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Arizona

Liberty to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
"Yup, you can get the 'thinnest cellphone in the world' and turn it in to a rubber brick with an Otterbox for just $50, lol.

I never quite understood that."

I have a full on blue collar job, working off ladders and tight places

I have had my phone snagged off my pouch twice resulting in my phone sailing 8-12' to concrete

My otterbox saved it both times
$50 very well spent for me....

I am delaying buying the new phone until otterbox has a defender that fits
I ain't buyin a fashion statement, for me it is a very handy tool

McLovin
Chicka chicka yeah
Premium Member
join:2005-06-12
Fairbanks, AK

McLovin to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I've been running my iPhone 4S nude since I had it replaced a month or so ago. I just ordered the Zagg invisibile shield extreme from their site this morning. »www.zagg.com/invisiblesh ··· reme_vid

If you watch the video on that site, it might make you think the marketing team might be smoking crack or something, because some of those things just seem impossible. But that's technology; it never ceases to amaze me.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Apple just released the full prints for the iphone 5 to case manufacturers... we should see cases as soon as 10/1 according to Casemate

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to Nezmo

MVM

to Nezmo
The "thinnest" part isn't why I have an iPhone. IMO, the iPhone is still the best "phone" available (with the caveat that it must be JB).
The Otterbox Defender has saved my phone countless times. I work in very unforgiving environments.
When I do take my phone out of the case, it looks brand spanking new.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I have a three year old 3Gs I've kept in a $10 case I bought from Street Venders outside the Apple Store. I've dropped it more times than I care to count but the phone still looks practically new.

Unfortunately my puppy chewed the case a couple of weeks ago.

So I out-did that and ordered a Halloween Devil case from Amazon that cost all of $4.99, including shipping from China... As luck would have it, before the case even arrived Apple announced the iPhone 5 and the case is now going for $2.99!

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA

Mike

Mod

I don't see any belt slide cases anywhere.

Am I the only person who likes this style?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by Mike:

Sure seems that way.

Personally, I have been using my iPhones naked in a leather slip case I made 5 years ago. Besides the cushioning from keys & coins, an additional benefit is that every time I pull it out of the slip case, it is clean with zero finger prints or smudges.

It always looks beautiful like the day it was purchased.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW to Mike

Anon

to Mike
I like this Otterbox model: »www.otterbox.com/iPhone- ··· ,pd.html

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Whats the difference between the Prefix and Commuter?

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium Member
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ

1 recommendation

tommy3rd

Premium Member

said by WK2:

Whats the difference between the Prefix and Commuter?

$10. lol

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Prefix looks like a one piece version of the Commuter and the Apple logo is covered (a plus IMO).
said by tommy3rd:

$10. lol

This also.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
No case for me. The only reason I got one for the iPhone 4 was the antenna issue.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

I carry my iPhone 4 (as with the previous models, too) in a belt holster. My primary one is from Duluth Trading and is made of buffalo leather that matches the belt it rides on. I also have a black leather one for utility use. That said, I still put a thin polycarbonate case on my iPhone to protect it from general dings, etc., as well as to make it less slippery in my hand. The combo of the holster and the thin case is what I prefer and when I someday move to the next generation device, that will also be my preference. Hopefully, the case makers will come up with a holster that accommodates the extra length...they were slow on the uptake to adjust dimensions when the iPhone 4 came out.

Black_Mage
Premium Member
join:2012-09-12
USA

Black_Mage to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Forgot to mention, the case I had was ballistic. Looks like they are going to make iPhone 5 cases soon.

»www.goballisticcase.com/ ··· -5-cases

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA
·SONIC

bobrk to Coma

Premium Member

to Coma
said by Coma:

said by Mike:

Sure seems that way.

Personally, I have been using my iPhones naked in a leather slip case I made 5 years ago. Besides the cushioning from keys & coins, an additional benefit is that every time I pull it out of the slip case, it is clean with zero finger prints or smudges.

It always looks beautiful like the day it was purchased.

My nice soft pocket is my case. My jeans all have iPhone rectangles permanently faded into them now.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
I like this one....

»www.incipio.com/index.ph ··· ase.html

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
Buckingham, PA

buckingham to bobrk

Premium Member

to bobrk
said by bobrk:

My nice soft pocket is my case. My jeans all have iPhone rectangles permanently faded into them now.

Unfortunately, that's one of the "best" ways folks have found to crack their screens...wayward furniture corners and so forth. Several friends and family members have experienced that!
buckingham

buckingham to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Looks like my favorite case company has iPhone 5 products on the way... »www.case-mate.com/iPhone ··· ases.asp

Mike
Mod
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike

Mod

I would be pleased as punch if case mate released an updated one for a 5. The one for my 4 is my most favorite case, ever.

No one has a useful sliding belt-clip, yet. Click cases suck, they can get dislodged. Sliding is the way to go... yet NO ONE has one.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Mike, Case-Mate seems to indicate that their iPhone 5 cases will be available to ship on the 21st.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
Just preordered the Incipio Feather case for my iPhone 5