Poll
Impressed with the iPhone 5?

Yes

No

Votes:134

WK2

WK2

Premium Member

Ik there are many iPhone 5 threads, just wanted to make a poll to go along.

Mike
Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
·Verizon FiOS

Mike to WK2

Mod

to WK2
I'm not impressed with it (needs NFC, 32gb, 64gb, 128gb, larger battery).

There was nothing Apple with it. It's a basic hardware refresh playing catch-up to Android hardware.

Am I going to get one? Yes, it's better than what I have and my contract is up.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Good points,
for me a bigger screen, LTE, and a faster processor is more than enough more me to upgrade imo
thekAk
join:2010-01-08
USA

thekAk to Mike

to Mike
said by Mike:

I'm not impressed with it (needs NFC, 32gb, 64gb, 128gb, larger battery).

There was nothing Apple with it. It's a basic hardware refresh playing catch-up to Android hardware.

+1

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

This.

haroldo
join:2004-01-16
USA

haroldo to WK2

to WK2
If I recall, folks weren't impressed with iPhone 4 S, either

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Duh, looks awesome.

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX

Nezmo to haroldo

MVM

to haroldo
said by haroldo:

If I recall, folks weren't impressed with iPhone 4 S, either

I upgraded from the 4 to the 4S and regret it. Waste of money. That's just me. Was it faster, yes. Does it have a better camera, yes. Siri turned out to be a joke.

I'm not sure about the 5. I don't currently see anything compelling going from a 4S. Faster, yes but is it really needed? Longer screen for video, more icons, yes. Well, it's still a small screen regardless so it's not like video watching experience suddenly gets much better.

iOS6 will run on the 4S. So no concerns there.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

For anybody with a iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, and the original. The time to upgrade is now. imo

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I'm just not seeing anything oh so compelling that would have me dropping $400 to upgrade from my iPhone 4. My iPhone 4 does everything I need it to do. Don't need Siri, have Google maps, car has turn-by-turn, already has retina display...

It's evolutionary, not revolutionary and I need revolutionary if they're going to get $400 out of me.

bobrk
You kids get offa my lawn
Premium Member
join:2000-02-02
San Jose, CA

bobrk

Premium Member

$400? I get by on the 16GB model just fine. $199.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
My upgrade is in mid February and I will not be making any moves before then. At that point I'll think about it some more and see where the progress is on a 5S. The 5 looks fine and it addresses my two main gripes (LTE, bigger screen) but at the same time my 4 is still doing the job.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to bobrk

Premium Member

to bobrk
Not me.

purely
Premium Member
join:2008-01-11
Didsbury, AB

purely to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
I have the iPhone 4 and like a few others have said , I'm fine with it and it does everything I need/want it to do. I think I'll wait and see what next year's model puts out.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50 to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Apple has been playing catch up since the iPhone was introduced...

How long did it take to get MMS? Tethering?

LTE Phones have been around since before the 4S, and they're finally going to include it.

I simply don't understand why people keep putting up with this nonsense from apple.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

J E F F4 to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

My contract will be up when the 5S or 6 is out...I'll be waiting until then. Although I'd like to have SIRI, it is not meant to be on my iPhone 4.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan to burner50

Premium Member

to burner50
Because the alternatives simply aren't very good IMO. I have a few Android devices (Sammy Galaxy S Wifi 5, Xoom, and a TF700T Infinity with the keyboard) and they're pretty slick (especially the TF700T) but the OS versions just don't have the operational fit and finish of iOS...again IMO. Particularly newer OSes (4 and later) are really buggy. My Xoom crashes frequently if I run 4+ on it (the stock browser is unusable). My TF700T is better but still I have apps FC from time to time. iOS apps crash but it's like once or twice a week where I have Android apps doing it a few times a day.

I know people that SWEAR by Android but I still find it a bit convoluted...like it was developed by departments that didn't talk to each other. It's getting better but iOS is still ahead as far as I'm concerned.

And as far as the whole custom ROM thing, I was interested in that to get around the whole Samsung abandonment thing but for my WiFi 5.0 for example, if you want a custom ROM you lose (at least for the OS versions I wanted) things like the camera and hardware acceleration. So I could get ICS but the device goes from slow to slower and loses the camera. As a result tinkering doesn't excite me much.

It's just like Windows...sure it supports more apps, can be tweaked more, but for workflow it just isn't as good.

burner50
Proud Union THUG
Premium Member
join:2002-06-05
Iowa

burner50

Premium Member

said by skeechan:

Because the alternatives simply aren't very good IMO. I have a few Android devices (Sammy Galaxy S Wifi 5, Xoom, and a TF700T Infinity with the keyboard) and they're pretty slick (especially the TF700T) but the OS versions just don't have the operational fit and finish of iOS...again IMO. Particularly newer OSes (4 and later) are really buggy. My Xoom crashes frequently if I run 4+ on it (the stock browser is unusable). My TF700T is better but still I have apps FC from time to time. iOS apps crash but it's like once or twice a week where I have Android apps doing it a few times a day.

I know people that SWEAR by Android but I still find it a bit convoluted...like it was developed by departments that didn't talk to each other. It's getting better but iOS is still ahead as far as I'm concerned.

And as far as the whole custom ROM thing, I was interested in that to get around the whole Samsung abandonment thing but for my WiFi 5.0 for example, if you want a custom ROM you lose (at least for the OS versions I wanted) things like the camera and hardware acceleration. So I could get ICS but the device goes from slow to slower and loses the camera. As a result tinkering doesn't excite me much.

It's just like Windows...sure it supports more apps, can be tweaked more, but for workflow it just isn't as good.

I wasn't even referring to android, but old feature phones that had those capabilites for years before apple created the first iPhone...

iPhone has been playing catch up, and will always be playing catch up, which is funny considering the way they're suing people... You would think that they invented the cell phone.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Have you messed with Jelly bean yet? It is as smooth as ios and it get rids of most of the bugs that are left. That is one of the main reasons I switched to a S3, it's supposed to get jelly bean soon. I'll let you know how jelly bean works on the S3.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I had JB on my Xoom and it was buggy. The OS itself wasn't so problematic but apps force closed too often. The browser was more stable but still unusable (I use Chrome anyway so it didn't matter much). I would be typing a big post for a forum and the browser would just quit. So frustrating. Chrome on the other hand is bulletproof and Google fixed all of the syncing bugs I was seeing.

But like ICS my bigger problem with Jelly Bean on the Xoom was horrible language support. The Motorola builds only have English, Spanish and French (for North America). I ended up having to go back to ICS with an au/KDDI build which has everything...but they're still on ICS. Moto is awesome with support, offering all of their regional builds online (including for rebranded devices like the KDDI version of the Xoom) with unlocking tools and instructions. I'm still waiting for an OEM JB built for my Transformer Infinity. ICS runs much better on my TF than my Xoom so I'm hoping that JB will run better too.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Try resetting the xoom to default settings? I have an acer a500 that I updated to ics and it ran like crap... Resetting to default fixed everything, it runs perfectly, no crashes.

Although I have to redownload everything now

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

OH yeah, wiped it clean before installing these different regional firmwares. Right out of the box, apps like the browser would take a dump and it was choppy when flipping through desktops. In browsing Xoom forums there were lots of complaints about a lot of the same things like it was Motorola's builds in particular with these issues. The Xoom is dual core tegra 2 at I think 1GHz so it should have been snappy enough for ICS and JB without issue.

Thing is the later Honeycomb builds on the Xoom were bulletproof...it rarely gave me any problems at all. That Xoom with Honeycomb is like a bank vault...solid as you can get (course it weighs as much as a small safe).

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Hum. Well I dunno then.

Try a custom build? Sounds like Motorola really screwed up.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Since I pulled the trigger on the Transformer the Xoom has been sidelined. The TF is a monster.

Nemokrad
join:2002-04-24
Miami, FL

Nemokrad to WK2

to WK2
Yes, I am impressed. A lot of people are underwhelmed because there has been an unprecedented amount of leaked info and photos of the iPhone 5. No NFC? Had to find something to complain about. Big whoop. It's gimmicky until it becomes a standard at every place you go. They had to leave something for next year

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
united state

Metatron2008

Premium Member

Yup, its gimmicky when it's on android, then when it's released on Apple the isheep call it magical and revolutionary. I know next year when Apple releases things that were on android a few years you'll call it magical.

WK2
Premium Member
united state

WK2

Premium Member

Android uses 1st gen hardware while Apple most of the time waits until the hardware or software is right for them to be in iPhones, iPads, etc.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

Impressed? No.

The screen is not really "bigger" it's just taller. That's pretty pathetic, especially since people like bigger screens because they are bigger all around, not because they want "an extra row of icons" which is really the only side effect anyone is talking about in regards to it. To me, that screams "we don't really want to change the screen size, but we need a marketing gimmick to keep up with everyone" The camera is remains so slightly improved that it's almost unchanged. And then you have the mandatory hardware update... Bump the CPU, throw in LTE. Even though the port has changed it's no faster... Still USB 2, they just needed to make it fit in the thinner profile. The actual look of the phone has not changed significantly.

It's a decent phone. But this was supposed to be the tock, not the tick. There is supposed to be at least something to get some sort of excitement about. But there isn't. iOS 6 is more exciting, although just barely. There are some features they could incorporated for a good old Apple shock and awe product refresh, but they obviously did not pursue them.

Truly, the iPhone has become just another option in the sea of smartphones. There's nothing that really sets it apart anymore. For example, it no longer has the best screen. It no longer has the best camera. Two characteristics which were defining about it for a long time(tech world speaking). If you consider Windows Phone, it may not even hold "most polished mobile OS" for much longer.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium Member
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX

alg

Premium Member

I hate to say it (just because it's MS), but if I were to make a change I think I'd probably go for a Windows Phone over an Android. I just can't really get into Android and that's with using Jelly Bean on my Nexus 7 along with older versions on phones.