AA169|170
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Metatron2008

Re: [iPhone] 5 Poll

I had JB on my Xoom and it was buggy. The OS itself wasn't so problematic but apps force closed too often. The browser was more stable but still unusable (I use Chrome anyway so it didn't matter much). I would be typing a big post for a forum and the browser would just quit. So frustrating. Chrome on the other hand is bulletproof and Google fixed all of the syncing bugs I was seeing.

But like ICS my bigger problem with Jelly Bean on the Xoom was horrible language support. The Motorola builds only have English, Spanish and French (for North America). I ended up having to go back to ICS with an au/KDDI build which has everything...but they're still on ICS. Moto is awesome with support, offering all of their regional builds online (including for rebranded devices like the KDDI version of the Xoom) with unlocking tools and instructions. I'm still waiting for an OEM JB built for my Transformer Infinity. ICS runs much better on my TF than my Xoom so I'm hoping that JB will run better too.

Metatron2008
Premium
join:2008-09-02
united state

Try resetting the xoom to default settings? I have an acer a500 that I updated to ics and it ran like crap... Resetting to default fixed everything, it runs perfectly, no crashes.

Although I have to redownload everything now

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

OH yeah, wiped it clean before installing these different regional firmwares. Right out of the box, apps like the browser would take a dump and it was choppy when flipping through desktops. In browsing Xoom forums there were lots of complaints about a lot of the same things like it was Motorola's builds in particular with these issues. The Xoom is dual core tegra 2 at I think 1GHz so it should have been snappy enough for ICS and JB without issue.

Thing is the later Honeycomb builds on the Xoom were bulletproof...it rarely gave me any problems at all. That Xoom with Honeycomb is like a bank vault...solid as you can get (course it weighs as much as a small safe).

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Hum. Well I dunno then.

Try a custom build? Sounds like Motorola really screwed up.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Since I pulled the trigger on the Transformer the Xoom has been sidelined. The TF is a monster.

Nemokrad

join:2002-04-24
Miami, FL
reply to Jackarino

Yes, I am impressed. A lot of people are underwhelmed because there has been an unprecedented amount of leaked info and photos of the iPhone 5. No NFC? Had to find something to complain about. Big whoop. It's gimmicky until it becomes a standard at every place you go. They had to leave something for next year
--
"Question with boldness even the existence of a god; because if there be one he must approve of the homage of reason more than that of blindfolded fear." -- Thomas Jefferson

Metatron2008
Premium
united state

Yup, its gimmicky when it's on android, then when it's released on Apple the isheep call it magical and revolutionary. I know next year when Apple releases things that were on android a few years you'll call it magical.

Jackarino
YacCity
Premium
join:2006-12-28
Allendale, NJ
kudos:1

Android uses 1st gen hardware while Apple most of the time waits until the hardware or software is right for them to be in iPhones, iPads, etc.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA

Impressed? No.

The screen is not really "bigger" it's just taller. That's pretty pathetic, especially since people like bigger screens because they are bigger all around, not because they want "an extra row of icons" which is really the only side effect anyone is talking about in regards to it. To me, that screams "we don't really want to change the screen size, but we need a marketing gimmick to keep up with everyone" The camera is remains so slightly improved that it's almost unchanged. And then you have the mandatory hardware update... Bump the CPU, throw in LTE. Even though the port has changed it's no faster... Still USB 2, they just needed to make it fit in the thinner profile. The actual look of the phone has not changed significantly.

It's a decent phone. But this was supposed to be the tock, not the tick. There is supposed to be at least something to get some sort of excitement about. But there isn't. iOS 6 is more exciting, although just barely. There are some features they could incorporated for a good old Apple shock and awe product refresh, but they obviously did not pursue them.

Truly, the iPhone has become just another option in the sea of smartphones. There's nothing that really sets it apart anymore. For example, it no longer has the best screen. It no longer has the best camera. Two characteristics which were defining about it for a long time(tech world speaking). If you consider Windows Phone, it may not even hold "most polished mobile OS" for much longer.

alg
Passionately apathetic
Premium
join:2001-04-10
Houston, TX
kudos:3

I hate to say it (just because it's MS), but if I were to make a change I think I'd probably go for a Windows Phone over an Android. I just can't really get into Android and that's with using Jelly Bean on my Nexus 7 along with older versions on phones.
--
This is the way the world ends
Not with a bang but a whimper.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Jackarino

said by Jackarino:

For anybody with a iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, and the original. The time to upgrade is now. imo

I have an iPhone 4 and was going to upgrade. I checked with AT&T and I am eligible. However the new connector is going to be a deal breaker for me at present. I have a new iPad and was hoping for a new iPhone but I'm not doing two different charging cords. Think I'll wait and see what MS and Windows 8 has to offer.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN

said by robbin:

Think I'll wait and see what MS and Windows 8 has to offer.

Two different charging cords. LOL
--
Graphic Disorder

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium
join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN
reply to Jackarino

I have the 4, skipped the 4S because IMO that jump from 4 to 4S wasn't that impressive. So for me 4 to 5 is a bunch of improvements. So I am on board.
--
Graphic Disorder

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA
reply to Chillin

said by Chillin:

said by robbin:

This is a curious statement.
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Thaler
Premium
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

Am I going to get one? Yes, it's better than what I have and my contract is up.

I think this is the only part AAPL is concerned with.

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
Reviews:
·Callcentric

1 edit
reply to Jackarino

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person

join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to Chillin

said by Chillin:

I have the 4, skipped the 4S because IMO that jump from 4 to 4S wasn't that impressive. So for me 4 to 5 is a bunch of improvements. So I am on board.

This is it in a nutshell ...
--
Not many people know this, but I happen to be quite famous...

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Jackarino

Am I impressed with the iPhone5?

Larger screen? Sure. But they HAD to do it, or be left in the dust in that category for another year.

LTE? Sure. read above.

A6 processor? Sure, but they always upgrade the processor so nothing earth shattering here especially since Apple never publishes the specs.

I like that the back isn't made of glass... Do I care that it's thinner and lighter? Nope.

I dislike the new connector and the even smaller sim card... I could stomach it if it was USB 3.0, but it isn't. I guess that's for the iPhone 5S.

Will I upgrade? I have an iPhone4, which has been somewhat sluggish since i upgrade to iOS5.1.1... I'll wait until a jailbreak is out, since there are some things I'm not willing to give up...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit
reply to Jackarino

After watching the keynote and see the numerous improvements particularly in graphics horsepower and the camera I'm pulling the trigger on the iPhone 5...it's the best handset available. I'll get a factory unlock on my 4 and sell it. Unlike competing handsets, resale value of iPhone is good...Amazon is paying $212-$250 for my model.

One thing that bums me out is the new connector, it should have been just micro USB but whatever. My car's use USB ports so I'll pick up a couple of cables (since I don't want to use BT audio). It's a fair price to pay for a handset that actually works.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Only problem is that you pay that same resale value forward in your postpaid term agreement. It's not a future savings of $200 if you paid the $200 extra to begin with.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

Sure it is if you avoid paying ANOTHER $200 during the upgrade process which is what would be happening with virtually any other 2 year old handset...you don't get squat for it.

It's like trading it a car...sure you still pay for the new car but getting a good chunk of change for the old one takes the stink off a bit.

I have to buy service anyway. I was looking at Straight Talk but their unlimited data isn't unlimited and they start calling you at 2-3GB and if you ignore then they cancel you. So might as well go subsidized.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to JohnInSJ

said by JohnInSJ:

said by Chillin:

said by robbin:

This is a curious statement.

Not sure what is curious. I don't want to have to keep two different charging cords with me or on my desk. I have enough other cords to keep up with. It is very easy with the iPad and it's charger to just unplug one device and plug in another. Can't do that with the iPhone5 and the current iPads.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by robbin:

Not sure what is curious. I don't want to have to keep two different charging cords with me or on my desk. I have enough other cords to keep up with. It is very easy with the iPad and it's charger to just unplug one device and plug in another. Can't do that with the iPhone5 and the current iPads.

Uhm. Use the adapter on the iPhone 5 and don't use it on the iPad? (I'll be in the same situation and personally I don't find the prospect all that daunting )
--
♬ Music is life ♬

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA
reply to skeechan

said by skeechan:

Sure it is if you avoid paying ANOTHER $200 during the upgrade process which is what would be happening with virtually any other 2 year old handset...you don't get squat for it.

Incorrect.

• Pay $200 (+ $400 over 2 years) = $600. Trade in for $200. Net cost = ($200 + $400) - $200 = $400.
• Pay $400 for a prepaid phone. No trade in value. Net cost = $400.

Though, I'm pretty sure there's at least *some* trade in value for the highest end of the prepaid phones. Not quite as much as an iPhone, but sure a HTC Evo Design 4G will fetch something in 2 years.

...my Samsung Transform Ultra will probably fetch jack though, but it cost $200 less than the HTC Evo did when I bought it. Great phone though, and has the physical keyboard I need.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170
Reviews:
·Clear Wireless
·Cox HSI
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

For the plans I want I would end up pay the $400 over 2 years anyway. You don't get a discount off an AT&T, VZW or Sprint plan by buying the phone outright and other prepaid deals like Straight Talk don't get the job done because of their "unlimited" data plans being anything but.

In other words, a contract doesn't matter to me because I'm with the carrier more than the contract term anyway. So I might as well let them subsidize the phone.

So it's:

• Pay $200 (+ $400 over 2 years) = $600. Trade in for $200. Net cost = ($200 + $400) - $200 = $400.
• Pay $400 for a prepaid phone, (+ $400 over 2 years since I need a provider like Sprint, VZW or AT&T anyway). No trade in value. Net cost = $800.

Thaler
Premium
Los Angeles, CA

Actually, the add on to the first line was simply the extra costs for using a postpaid provider and their beyond expensive plans. Pretty sure you're not going to find a 2 year contract term & plan that only costs $200 a year.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

I'm pretty sure I can't find a prepaid plan I can live with.

AnonFTW

@rr.com
reply to Jackarino

Absolutely. It's about time someone released an LTE phone with decent battery life.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium
AA169|170

Razr Maxx?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY
reply to Jackarino

As mentioned in another thread, unless Apple releases a PowerPC version of iTunes we won't be upgrading our two 3Gs to 5 anytime soon... Though that doesn't preclude upgrading to 4s. At this point I'm more interested in getting out from under this AT&T contract and seeing if I can use Straight Talk instead.