Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to WK2

Mod

to WK2

Re: [iPhone] 5 Poll

said by WK2:

For anybody with a iPhone 4, 3GS, 3G, and the original. The time to upgrade is now. imo

I have an iPhone 4 and was going to upgrade. I checked with AT&T and I am eligible. However the new connector is going to be a deal breaker for me at present. I have a new iPad and was hoping for a new iPhone but I'm not doing two different charging cords. Think I'll wait and see what MS and Windows 8 has to offer.

Chillin
No i7, no care.
Premium Member
join:2002-04-22
Johnson City, TN

Chillin

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Think I'll wait and see what MS and Windows 8 has to offer.

Two different charging cords. LOL
Chillin

Chillin to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
I have the 4, skipped the 4S because IMO that jump from 4 to 4S wasn't that impressive. So for me 4 to 5 is a bunch of improvements. So I am on board.

JohnInSJ
Premium Member
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

JohnInSJ to Chillin

Premium Member

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

said by robbin:

This is a curious statement.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to Mike

Premium Member

to Mike
said by Mike:

Am I going to get one? Yes, it's better than what I have and my contract is up.

I think this is the only part AAPL is concerned with.

Da Geek Kid
join:2003-10-11
::1

1 edit

Da Geek Kid to WK2

to WK2

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· WKytq_q4

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to Chillin

to Chillin
said by Chillin:

I have the 4, skipped the 4S because IMO that jump from 4 to 4S wasn't that impressive. So for me 4 to 5 is a bunch of improvements. So I am on board.

This is it in a nutshell ...

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
Am I impressed with the iPhone5?

Larger screen? Sure. But they HAD to do it, or be left in the dust in that category for another year.

LTE? Sure. read above.

A6 processor? Sure, but they always upgrade the processor so nothing earth shattering here especially since Apple never publishes the specs.

I like that the back isn't made of glass... Do I care that it's thinner and lighter? Nope.

I dislike the new connector and the even smaller sim card... I could stomach it if it was USB 3.0, but it isn't. I guess that's for the iPhone 5S.

Will I upgrade? I have an iPhone4, which has been somewhat sluggish since i upgrade to iOS5.1.1... I'll wait until a jailbreak is out, since there are some things I'm not willing to give up...

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
After watching the keynote and see the numerous improvements particularly in graphics horsepower and the camera I'm pulling the trigger on the iPhone 5...it's the best handset available. I'll get a factory unlock on my 4 and sell it. Unlike competing handsets, resale value of iPhone is good...Amazon is paying $212-$250 for my model.

One thing that bums me out is the new connector, it should have been just micro USB but whatever. My car's use USB ports so I'll pick up a couple of cables (since I don't want to use BT audio). It's a fair price to pay for a handset that actually works.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Only problem is that you pay that same resale value forward in your postpaid term agreement. It's not a future savings of $200 if you paid the $200 extra to begin with.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Sure it is if you avoid paying ANOTHER $200 during the upgrade process which is what would be happening with virtually any other 2 year old handset...you don't get squat for it.

It's like trading it a car...sure you still pay for the new car but getting a good chunk of change for the old one takes the stink off a bit.

I have to buy service anyway. I was looking at Straight Talk but their unlimited data isn't unlimited and they start calling you at 2-3GB and if you ignore then they cancel you. So might as well go subsidized.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin to JohnInSJ

Mod

to JohnInSJ
said by JohnInSJ:

said by Chillin:

said by robbin:

This is a curious statement.

Not sure what is curious. I don't want to have to keep two different charging cords with me or on my desk. I have enough other cords to keep up with. It is very easy with the iPad and it's charger to just unplug one device and plug in another. Can't do that with the iPhone5 and the current iPads.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by robbin:

Not sure what is curious. I don't want to have to keep two different charging cords with me or on my desk. I have enough other cords to keep up with. It is very easy with the iPad and it's charger to just unplug one device and plug in another. Can't do that with the iPhone5 and the current iPads.

Uhm. Use the adapter on the iPhone 5 and don't use it on the iPad? (I'll be in the same situation and personally I don't find the prospect all that daunting )

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler to skeechan

Premium Member

to skeechan
said by skeechan:

Sure it is if you avoid paying ANOTHER $200 during the upgrade process which is what would be happening with virtually any other 2 year old handset...you don't get squat for it.

Incorrect.

• Pay $200 (+ $400 over 2 years) = $600. Trade in for $200. Net cost = ($200 + $400) - $200 = $400.
• Pay $400 for a prepaid phone. No trade in value. Net cost = $400.

Though, I'm pretty sure there's at least *some* trade in value for the highest end of the prepaid phones. Not quite as much as an iPhone, but sure a HTC Evo Design 4G will fetch something in 2 years.

...my Samsung Transform Ultra will probably fetch jack though, but it cost $200 less than the HTC Evo did when I bought it. Great phone though, and has the physical keyboard I need.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

1 edit

skeechan

Premium Member

For the plans I want I would end up pay the $400 over 2 years anyway. You don't get a discount off an AT&T, VZW or Sprint plan by buying the phone outright and other prepaid deals like Straight Talk don't get the job done because of their "unlimited" data plans being anything but.

In other words, a contract doesn't matter to me because I'm with the carrier more than the contract term anyway. So I might as well let them subsidize the phone.

So it's:

• Pay $200 (+ $400 over 2 years) = $600. Trade in for $200. Net cost = ($200 + $400) - $200 = $400.
• Pay $400 for a prepaid phone, (+ $400 over 2 years since I need a provider like Sprint, VZW or AT&T anyway). No trade in value. Net cost = $800.

Thaler
Premium Member
Los Angeles, CA

Thaler

Premium Member

Actually, the add on to the first line was simply the extra costs for using a postpaid provider and their beyond expensive plans. Pretty sure you're not going to find a 2 year contract term & plan that only costs $200 a year.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure I can't find a prepaid plan I can live with.

AnonFTW
@rr.com

AnonFTW to WK2

Anon

to WK2
Absolutely. It's about time someone released an LTE phone with decent battery life.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Razr Maxx?

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to WK2

Premium Member

to WK2
As mentioned in another thread, unless Apple releases a PowerPC version of iTunes we won't be upgrading our two 3Gs to 5 anytime soon... Though that doesn't preclude upgrading to 4s. At this point I'm more interested in getting out from under this AT&T contract and seeing if I can use Straight Talk instead.