how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

LelandC

join:2001-09-14
Canton, MI

Comcast to Wow?

Anyone recently switch from Comcast to WOW? I'm thinking about jumping ship from Comcast as my current deal is about to end and I'm sure my rate is going much higher.

Just wondering how WOW is these days? I had them back in 2008 and 2009 and I was cotent with them. Comcast offered me a much better deal at the time (and faster internet) so I jumped ship.

-LeeC

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Re: Comcast to Wow?

I went back a long time ago for a short bit after Comcast, and for me recorded content and free on-demand were my hot buttons, and WOW's DVR could not compare.

Now with Ultra TV I am very much happier with WOW again (Comcast is unavailable where I am at now.) Ultra TV makes up for most of the poor DVR experience, and the 6 tuners mean no conflicts, and the content is available on all three of my set top boxes.

I'm not past 50% storage yet, but I expect to fill up the 500Gig drive soon (oldest gets deleted, and I'm usually keeping 3 episodes at a time.) Its trickier to know if everyone is done with some episodes. You can see some of my blips from install here: »New install

I recently ordered this drive to triple my storage, so I should soon be care-free on my space concerns: »www.bestbuy.com/site/WD+-+My+Boo···p=1&lp=1

For $106 and free shipping, it seemed better than Newegg.com or Buy.com, and if it does not work out, there is a BestBuy near by I can return it to.
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

LelandC

Canton, MI
Do you use voip (magic jack) or something similar for phone service? Do you have internet through WOW?

Thanks,

-LeeC

usa2k
Blessed
Premium,MVM
join:2003-01-26
Redford, MI
kudos:3

Re: Comcast to Wow?

I use VOIPo and was also happy to find out that I did not need WOW phone. I was a beta tester of VOIPo and VOPoTim gave us a great annual rate that I don't pay attention to the latest deal from anyone.

It linked but stopped working. WOW_Dan looked at it and enabled 3 VPN protocols, and it was back in action since then.

The built-in 4 port router seems to work fine (I added a switch too), and the wireless connectivity works great for me too, so my Linksys loaded with Tomato firmware is retired for now.

Right now I have two printers via ethernet, two desktops, and a PAP2T, a few phones via WiFi, a Tablet on WiFi, and a laptop occasionally on WiFi.

I did reboot the Media Hub/Cable Modem/Internet access (One box) when everything froze for the TVs. (Three TVs connected.)

That was four or five days running, and a couple weeks+ have passed since then. So it is running reliably (for me).
--

Jim, VoIP 12/2002, VOIPo 2/2007
FAH-Tool~Pets~Join Artist-247

LelandC

Canton, MI
reply to LelandC
Well I signed up for WOW this evening after a wow salesperson came to my door and offered me a better deal then I got calling the 800 number.

My install will take place early next week. Anyone know what kind of HD DVR (non ultra) they are using these days? Is it a fairly new model? I know when I had WOW a few years back the HD DVR they gave us was pretty old but it did the job.

-LeeC

Big Jimmy

@wideopenwest.com
Unless you get lucky you'll probably have a Scientific Atlanta 8300HD or 8300HDC.. ie the same ones as years back.

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
kudos:1
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric
reply to LelandC
When we first got WOW about a year ago, the installer brought a Cisco 8642HDC instead of the awful 8300HD(C?) that we had with Time Warner. The 8642HDC worked pretty well for the most part, a huge improvement over that POS 8300HD(C?).

Maybe you'll luck out and get a 8642HDC.