how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Laidback

join:2001-09-30
Woodstock, ON

Satellite question

I am seriously considering a US dish. Rogers keeps going up, bellexpressvu is not to my liking and Shaw made changes that I am not happy with. So, if I have a US address, a US bank account for whoever I decide to go with, and install the system in Canada, can they trace where you are? Anyone have experience with this, or know of? The fear of course is getting zapped.
And yes I know I will be taking food off someones table by going this route, but frankly, Canadian TV sucks considering Shaw, Bell and Rogers own pretty much all the Canadian channels.

dragonfly

join:2012-09-04

Don't hook your phone line up to the receiver. That's only way.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
reply to Laidback

I use a US service, as Canadian content rules ruin the Canadian version of stations, and providers can't 'trace' our number; however they do require a US address. That's your primary issue.

I_H8_Spam

join:2004-03-10
St Catharines, ON
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..

1 edit

Cover the dish with a proper cover, don't want some nosy neighbor deciding to call and bring annoyance down on you.

I have heard of some private communities that set up people with receivers under active USA accounts with all every channel available, but not PPV. This is grey boxing, not black boxing as you are not circumventing content blocks. UAYOR

Typically this is limited to the max recievers on the account holder and is self serve for install, some local "fta" installers may have referrals.

DirectTV > Dish imho

Here is a good thread: »American Satellite TV in Canada
--
AFK: Attack, fight, kill!! The healer is telling you to go pull mobs.
WTF: Way to fight! The healer is applauding your tactical genius

Laidback

Woodstock, ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I use a US service, as Canadian content rules ruin the Canadian version of stations, and providers can't 'trace' our number; however they do require a US address. That's your primary issue.

I have a US address that I can use. They do not have satellite (US) at this address.
I guess it is a trip to the USA to shop

mike10

join:2004-03-02
reply to Laidback

A friend used this site to get american TV and he did not need a American address

»hitstv.drsat.ca/

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Laidback

I got Huluplus and Netflix (American & Canadian when I want it). By by US credit card. (Go to 7/11, buy a Vanilla MasterCard, when you register it, select "USA-English" and add a USA zip code (Oregon, no taxes)) Of course, you could use that credit card to pay for US Satellite service. You can get a VoIP US phone number (I'm thinking MagicJack) so no way they can trace.

Crazy that we have to do this to get value for our money.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

urbanriot
Premium
Canada

I use my Canadian credit card to pay for my American services, it's a non-issue.

Hydraglass
Premium
join:2002-05-08
Kingston, ON
reply to Laidback

Just take note that typically whatever US address you provide them is what local channels they will attach to your account, and if you're physically far from that location you will not be covered by the spot beam that broadcasts those local channels... so you'll lose that part of network coverage. I have relatives in New York who have a cottage up here in the Peterborough area, and they have a spare receiver up here to watch content while up north - works fine, they get their Rochester/Buffalo stations no problem. On the other hand, one of the cottage families on the lake where my cottage is, are from Florida - they bring their DirecTV box with them for the summer -- they can not see their local network channels up here - it's too far out of the spot beam... just something to keep in mind.

highwire2007

join:2008-05-17
Nepean, ON
reply to urbanriot

said by urbanriot:

I've had a DirecTv subscription since 1996, before Shiela Copps ruined it for us and made it illegal. Back then they knew I was Canadian and accepted the subscription with a Canadian credit card and US mailing address.

I'm still paying with that same card, but I've been told they will no longer accept Canadian CC cards for new subscribers, and they will run a credit check. That could pose a problem for a lot of Canadians.

If I ever get cut off, I'd kill myself before going back to Rogers or Bell.

Laidback

Woodstock, ON
reply to Hydraglass

said by Hydraglass:

Just take note that typically whatever US address you provide them is what local channels they will attach to your account, and if you're physically far from that location you will not be covered by the spot beam that broadcasts those local channels... so you'll lose that part of network coverage. I have relatives in New York who have a cottage up here in the Peterborough area, and they have a spare receiver up here to watch content while up north - works fine, they get their Rochester/Buffalo stations no problem. On the other hand, one of the cottage families on the lake where my cottage is, are from Florida - they bring their DirecTV box with them for the summer -- they can not see their local network channels up here - it's too far out of the spot beam... just something to keep in mind.

That is a good point. The address I have available is Iowa (no laughs please). At least it will be 1 hour earlier for the local channels.

US_TV_Rocks

@start.ca
reply to Laidback

There is one other hurdle that you need to jump over before you can get US satellite. I just went through all of this earlier this year and tried, unsuccessfully, to subscribe to both direct and dish.

I have a US address, with a US bank account and a credit card associated with that address, however, the very last step of the process is to provide them with a valid social security number.
Baring that, if you're a non-resident/citizen you have to provide them proof that you own property (ie. a vacation home or other residence) by way of a US issued taxation number that is given to foreign property owners.

We even had a satellite dealer onside with us, who tried to make it work but he couldn't get the order through without that last piece of the puzzle.

We ended up enlisting the help of a friend in Florida who helped get us set up with direct. The sucky part of that is that we don't get the major networks (abc, nbc, etc.) because they are broadcast with spot beams that prevent out-of-market viewing.
So, if you're going to go this route, my suggestion is to find someone in NY, PA, or MI.

Laidback

Woodstock, ON
reply to highwire2007

said by highwire2007:

said by urbanriot:

I've had a DirecTv subscription since 1996, before Shiela Copps ruined it for us and made it illegal. Back then they knew I was Canadian and accepted the subscription with a Canadian credit card and US mailing address.

I'm still paying with that same card, but I've been told they will no longer accept Canadian CC cards for new subscribers, and they will run a credit check. That could pose a problem for a lot of Canadians.

If I ever get cut off, I'd kill myself before going back to Rogers or Bell.

Timing is everything. As Jeff mentioned above, a prepaid card may well be the way to go. American express is on the program and that may be the way around all the Canadian card issues.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to highwire2007

said by highwire2007:

I wouldn't listen to what you're told as the credit check is irrelevant to your service address. Nevermind the snow birds that migrate to Florida for the winter and pay with Canadian credit cards...

miakica

join:2009-11-10

said by urbanriot:

I wouldn't listen to what you're told as the credit check is irrelevant to your service address. Nevermind the snow birds that migrate to Florida for the winter and pay with Canadian credit cards...

It changed.
Now, your DirecTV billing address and credit card billing address have to match. No exceptions.

On the side note, anybody who bought a receiver or service from a certain individual from Kitchener is fucked...

mr weather
Premium
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

said by miakica:

On the side note, anybody who bought a receiver or service from a certain individual from Kitchener is fucked...

You sleep with dogs you're going to get fleas...
--
"It's all coming down!!" - Mike Holmes

Laidback

Woodstock, ON
reply to US_TV_Rocks

said by US_TV_Rocks :

There is one other hurdle that you need to jump over before you can get US satellite. I just went through all of this earlier this year and tried, unsuccessfully, to subscribe to both direct and dish.

I have a US address, with a US bank account and a credit card associated with that address, however, the very last step of the process is to provide them with a valid social security number.
Baring that, if you're a non-resident/citizen you have to provide them proof that you own property (ie. a vacation home or other residence) by way of a US issued taxation number that is given to foreign property owners.

We even had a satellite dealer onside with us, who tried to make it work but he couldn't get the order through without that last piece of the puzzle.

We ended up enlisting the help of a friend in Florida who helped get us set up with direct. The sucky part of that is that we don't get the major networks (abc, nbc, etc.) because they are broadcast with spot beams that prevent out-of-market viewing.
So, if you're going to go this route, my suggestion is to find someone in NY, PA, or MI.

Good information. The Iowa address gives me central America networks programming. If this is the case, with Illinois, and Michigan in between I might not get the feeds.
Does anyone know if the US systems offer time shift programming similar to our Canadian robbers?

US_TV_Rocks

@start.ca

said by Laidback:

Does anyone know if the US systems offer time shift programming similar to our Canadian robbers?

Short answer: No, they do not.

Long answer: Yes, they do have east/west networks that are viewable nation wide and are not spot-beamed, however you can only get these channels if you subscribe to their RV service (you must provide proof that you own an RV) or if you are outside of all their local markets (ie. an island destination or sailing the Caribbean).

I've chased down all the angles trying to get access to these channels and every avenue seems to be road-blocked.

FWIW, there are lots of others that are going through the same thing. You can find lots of info on their experiences in some of the satellite forums.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable
reply to miakica

said by miakica:

Now, your DirecTV billing address and credit card billing address have to match. No exceptions.

Hopefully you don't advise DirectTV as my account is still active.

Just kidding. DirectTV disagrees with you.

I called 1-888-777-2454 on my American phone (couldn't get through on my Canadian line), and explained to a nice US sounding woman that I want to get DirectTV installed at my condo in South Beach in October "but I was advised you won't accept my Canadian credit card". She said it won't be an issue and asked when I wanted to schedule the install... I told her I'll wait till I'm there but I just wanted to be sure. It was a pleasant conversation.

miakica

join:2009-11-10

1 edit

said by urbanriot:

Hopefully you don't advise DirectTV as my account is still active.

Just kidding. DirectTV disagrees with you.

I called 1-888-777-2454 on my American phone (couldn't get through on my Canadian line), and explained to a nice US sounding woman that I want to get DirectTV installed at my condo in South Beach in October "but I was advised you won't accept my Canadian credit card". She said it won't be an issue and asked when I wanted to schedule the install... I told her I'll wait till I'm there but I just wanted to be sure. It was a pleasant conversation.

I have a Verizon phone, and I can't call when I'm in Canada....
But, in march of this year, I logged in my DirecTV account, clicked on "Pay my bill"...and it was declined?!?!
Called them from Skype, and I was immediately transferred to Signal Integrity Department.

First they asked me why the number that I call from doesn't match the phone number on my account.
Well, I don't have a land line...

Why didn't you call us from your cell phone?
My signal sucks in the basement, where I am right now...(I can't call DTV from Canada)

What is your SSN?
Why do you want to know? I don't have to give it to you, and you shouldn't have it in a first place? I feel like I'm interrogated by Nazis, and you can cancel my account right now, and send me labels to return your fucking receivers....I hung up...

Two minutes later, my phone is ringing...Number starting with310 area code. It's DTV..I ask them what do they want, and they tell me that they have to check if the phone number on my account is correct.
OK, I told you to cancel my account, I don't want to be interrogated again by DTV, so go and fuck yourself...Before I can hang up, he tells me that they have to do this, and asks me for SSN again. So, I give him my SSN, and he apologies for inconvenience and gives me two months of service for free.
Then, I was explained how they have to do it if they suspect anything illegal, and ESPECIALLY if they suspect that caller is Canadian, or, to clarify, FROM Canada...

Just to mention, I have a valid SSN, and the valid address.

urbanriot
Premium
Canada
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

I'm with T-Mobile and I'm on the T-Mobile network where I live in Canada, it's quite nice. I always found it funny that I'm never roaming when I'm in Canada with my US phone, but as soon as I get anywhere near the Canada border, I flip to roaming on my Canadian phone.

And wow, completely the opposite of mine and my friends' experiences. I guess it's a case of who you get and the mood they're in or maybe something in how I communicate gets me a smooth experience.

I've never been asked for an SSN by DirectTV, either for my paid account or during the call I made yesterday.

What's funny is that they have my Canadian number on file.

Who knows, maybe a bunch of us are just lucky and our luck will run out... although I'm skeptical, since they'd lose a pile of money from migrant snowbirds.