spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

battleop

join:2005-09-28
reply to hottboiinnc

Re: If you look deep enough into the DSLR archives...

The only way I can see room for a muni network is when the network is treated just like like roads.

The best thing about dialup was that you could buy internet from multiple sources. The Dialup ISP bought connectivity into the PSTN in the form of PRIs or Channelized T1s. The end user bought a POTS line and then they picked the ISP of their choice.

What ultimately killed the Dialup ISP was that there was no way for the dialup ISP to access a high speed last mile network that wasn't owned by a competitor who was hell bent on running them out of business by every means except fair competition.

If you really want to foster real competition stop catering to the mega huge multi billion dollar companies and look to small business to innovate. I.E. stop catering to Google, Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, etc...

Muni networks could help foster this if they helped to create a more competitive environment where they are focused on bringing high speed internet to citizens instead of putting them out of business.
--
I do not, have not, and will not work for AT&T/Comcast/Verizon/Charter or similar sized company.