share rss forum feed

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

Question on buying a car across state lines

So I'm getting close to purchasing a new car, and found one that matches my needs and wants in MD. I live in NOVA.

Has anyone had experience with buying the car across state lines? Is buying it in MD going to make the total cost more expensive for me as a VA resident? If so, how much?
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

SixOfNine
Brake In A Ladylike Manner.
Premium
join:2001-08-30
Sterling, VA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by Krisnatharok:

Has anyone had experience with buying the car across state lines? Is buying it in MD going to make the total cost more expensive for me as a VA resident? If so, how much?

I have not had direct experience, but did a little digging once upon a time when I was in the same situation. I don't think it will be better or worse from a tax perspective. My recollection is that you pay sales tax in the state where you register your car.
--
Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

Archivis
Your Daddy
Premium
join:2001-11-26
Earth
kudos:19
reply to Krisnatharok

I bought a vehicle across state lines. I had no issues. Although, I'm not in your state. I think you just have to deal with Sales Taxes. It's been so long, I cannot remember.
--
A government big enough to give you everything you want, is strong enough to take everything you have. -MLK

Da Geek Kid

join:2003-10-11
::1
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Callcentric
reply to Krisnatharok

I have bought the car in MD and live in VA. The dealer takes care of the VA tax and tags you pay for...

the advantage is that the dealers in VA force you with processing fee, but some dealers in MD won't... This fee is ludicrous as no dealer can sell a car without processing...

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
join:2002-10-11
Tyrinaria
kudos:4
reply to Krisnatharok

It better not be a Kia.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Shaddup.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

OH GAWD! HE BOUGHT A KIA!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

So much nope.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

Well thank goodness. I was worried.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Looking at the Subaru WRX. It's tough to find them.

Kristopher
Tarquin
Premium
Tyrinaria

I'll allow it.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit