uniqs

Hall
MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH

Hall to chamberc

MVM

to chamberc

Re: Hospital REQUIRING Copay before Admission?

said by chamberc:

Not all hospitals are "non-profit".

Maybe the ones I'm referring to are... In fact, there's no maybe about it, they are.
Hall

Hall to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

Pretty soon MVH will take over UD...

Every time we drive through, I wonder who will buy which piece of land/property to expand into.

Watch: One of them, more likely MVH, will buy the fairgrounds, in the next decade.

Oh_No
Trogglus normalus
join:2011-05-21
Chicago, IL

Oh_No to billydunwood

to billydunwood
said by billydunwood:

Wife went into the cardiologist, who sent her to the ER to get admitted for some tests. At the ER, the Financial Counselour walks in after an hour my wife waiting in the bed and says she has a $250 copay. Cool, fine. I asked her to send us a bill, because we are also responsible for 20% of the total hospital bill(up to $3000 total), so we could pay it all at once. The financial counselour said NO. She said they do not send bills for Copays and it is REQUIRED. Now, I believe it is against the law to require someone to have to pay a copay before being admitted. What if they do not have the money? She wouldn't respond to my comments other than saying, " we do not send bills for copay, and it is required now." I think this is totally against the law AND possible coercsion. Borderline forcing a person to pay before they can get admitted to the hospital. State is CA and county is Los Angeles. I just wanted to know if it is illegal? thanks. I will be calling the insurance company tomorrow to see what they think/file a complaint.

It is legal. If you dont pay then all they will do is stabilize you in an emergency situation. Since this was not an emergency they will do nothing until you pay.

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to billydunwood

to billydunwood
I've been into the hospital twice this year. Neither time was an emergency and they required the co-pay before doing anything. That's STANDARD OPERATING PROCEDURE. Emergency services they bill you the co-pay after helping you but for everything else it's co-pay first or no service. Makes no difference if it's a non-profit or for-profit hospital either. Both operate the same. I'd love to know how hard the insurance company laughs if they get a call on this being 'illegal'. LOL
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

1 edit

Mele20 to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I just got the manual for the 2013 PPO plan I have and it has changed from a $300 co-pay per hospital visit to $125 per day for days 1-7 and no co-pay after that (of course, very few hospital stays for any reason these days is more than one week). I am wondering how the hospitals here could require co-pay in advance except for the first day since how would the hospital know in advance how many days you would be there especially if it was not a planned in advance visit? So, do they come in your room each day and demand the co-pay for that day?

Since I don't carry my checking book around with me, have no debit card, and don't carry potentially $1000 in cash either, how could they expect me to pay in advance? Besides, I would not have even $125 in my checking account most of the month. A planned admission would be different but one where your doctor sends you directly to the emergency room or you call 911 for an ambulance and you live alone you would not be taking your check book with you and no one to bring it to you either ...gee...Until this year, I had NO co-pay on hospitalization. So, I had no idea that hospitals were demanding co-pay before admitting you from the emergency room. Doctors ask for the co-pay AFTER your visit not before so why would the hospitals be different?

Draiman
Let me see those devil horns in the sky
join:2012-06-01
Kill Devil Hills, NC

Draiman to billydunwood

to billydunwood
A non emergency treatment has a typical amount of days associated with it. You'd pay that amount up front then if it exceeds that they'd bill you the rest.

Doctors and hospitals are apples to oranges. A doctor might be $200-300 tops for an hour visit where a hospital visit can be THOUSANDS for the same hour visit. Insurance loses the most money on hospitals so they want to try to recoup those losses as much as possible.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Mele20

MVM

to Mele20
Because it is FAR easier to stiff the hospital than a local Dr you go to.

mm
I Did It My Way
Premium Member
join:2001-04-07
Summerville, SC

mm to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I have been to the ER a total of four times. Three were in a NJ hospital that always required a co payment before treatment. The other was in NY (Sloan Kettering) and they never ask for money upfront for any thing they do.

I have to admit two of the three visits I had in the NJ hospital were pretty bad (I was in lots of pain) and I was rather annoyed that they were so upfront about the co payment first. What really irks me is the illegal aliens who don't pay for most medical bills get right in with no hassles.

Here is an article about ER's and co payments up front:
»www.kaiserhealthnews.org ··· nts.aspx

LadyL
Premium Member
join:2002-09-18
Lorain, OH

LadyL to billydunwood

Premium Member

to billydunwood
I'll be doing an MRI on 9/28...I have BC/BS Medicare Advantage...my co-pay is $155.00 before I even go to Radiology...doesn't bother me at all...at least it is cheaper than if I had regular BC/BS.

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

chamberc to Hall

Premium Member

to Hall
said by Hall:

said by chamberc:

Not all hospitals are "non-profit".

Maybe the ones I'm referring to are... In fact, there's no maybe about it, they are.

They still require positive cash flow.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20 to LadyL

Premium Member

to LadyL
Wow! I wouldn't be having the test at that price. Nice you are well to do and can afford the high co-pay.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

I need the MRI to determine why I have a calcium deposit on my lower right side. Well to do? Not even... I'm lucky if my total SS Widows' Benefits and meager $430.67/month pension (hubby's) gets up to $19K/year. I was paying $919.00/month for BC/BS until the month of April when I turned 65...then it went to $0.00/month....it will go up to $36.00/month starting January 2013. I don't have mortgage payments or car payments , so I'm lucky that way.
I wouldn't have to do this MRI, but if this is the only way of finding out why the calcium is there...so be it.
Mele20
Premium Member
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

Gee, I sure hope it is some minor something that caused the calcium deposit and I wish you the best with the test. I can see why the co-payment wouldn't seem bad after what you were paying until you turned 65 for medical insurance.

LadyL
Premium Member
Lorain, OH

LadyL

Premium Member

Thank you...me too...I'll know by next week what it is all about.
I looked at my manual(BC/BS regular...Jan-March 2012)...and the copay for same MRI was $550.00 !!!
Two weeks ago I had xrays taken of my back/spine and that's how they found out re that calcium...reg price=$425.00...my Medicare co-pay=$70.53 .